Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US carrier in South Korea, likely to irk North

US carrier in South Korea, likely to irk North

SEOUL - A US aircraft carrier group arrived in South Korean waters on Monday for a visit likely to upset prickly North Korea, which has said it sees such events as military provocations that undermine nuclear disarmament talks.

The visit of the USS George Washington came after the United States sent a senior diplomat to North Korea last week in a last-ditch attempt to save a crumbling disarmament-for-aid-deal and stop Pyongyang from rebuilding its nuclear-arms plant.

The carrier group was anchored just outside the southern port of Busan for an international fleet exhibit, South Korean navy officials said. It will come into port on Tuesday and leave on Friday.

When the USS Ronald Reagan carrier group visited South Korea in July, the North's official media said the United States "was deliberately aggravating the situation." US military officials said it was a routine visit.

"Its behavior is prompted by its calculation that if its military pressure and threat are escalated to keep pace with its diplomatic dialogue, it can discourage its rival ... and boost its negotiating position," the North's media said in July.

North Korea has not yet commented on the arrival of the George Washington carrier group.

In recent weeks, North Korea has made initial steps toward restarting its aging Yongbyon nuclear plant, which was being disabled under the disarmament deal North Korea reached with five regional powers, US and South Korean officials have said.

US Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill left Pyongyang last Friday but has not discussed whether he made any progress during three days of talks in the North Korean capital on the nuclear deal.
    sigpic

Originally posted by xrough View Post
    When the USS Ronald Reagan carrier group visited South Korea in July, the North's official media said the United States "was deliberately aggravating the situation." US military officials said it was a routine visit.

"Its behavior is prompted by its calculation that if its military pressure and threat are escalated to keep pace with its diplomatic dialogue, it can discourage its rival ... and boost its negotiating position," the North's media said in July.

North Korea has not yet commented on the arrival of the George Washington carrier group.
    Nothing more than the usual propaganda blasts.

The DPRK seizes upon any event - real or imagined - that it can use to remind it's brainwashed citizenry that there's an ongoing need to starve to death.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Yep, Nothing more then a scheduled port of call. No flexing.:)
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I say we sneak attack them.
        [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Akaloc View Post
          I say we sneak attack them.

Where exactly? Why? To what purpose?

How about a 6 carrier strike group? They can rendezvous in Hittokappu Bay and strike at dawn.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

who attack who?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xrough View Post
              who attack who?
              Yeah I was wondering that same thing myself

Comment

Hey guys, the US just move N Korea off the terror list, any idea which side compromised?

Comment

Originally posted by richlaowang View Post
                  Hey guys, the US just move N Korea off the terror list, any idea which side compromised?
                  "US moved N Korea off the terror list"..O'course the US compromised its position to ensure N.Korea continue with the nuclear disarmament..anyway the "terror list" isn't all that important..Bush probably used a chalk to strike out the hermit country from black board

Comment

I've heard this -- and it sounded rather macabre -- that Chinese tourists get on boats near the North Korean border and then get close to the North Korean beaches, and fling food on shore to watch them scramble and fight for it. I don't know if it's an urban legend or fact.
                    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Hmm, the next season of survivor.....Survivor North Korea!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                        I've heard this -- and it sounded rather macabre -- that Chinese tourists get on boats near the North Korean border and then get close to the North Korean beaches, and fling food on shore to watch them scramble and fight for it. I don't know if it's an urban legend or fact.
                        False. The North Korean guards would have confiscated the food before they left port.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                          False. The North Korean guards would have confiscated the food before they left port.
                          OOE Sir, Is it really that bad?
                          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

It was. China had food refugess for the longest time.

Comment

Regarding throwing the food, I would hope people wouldn't be that cruel, but I wouldn't be surprised if things were that desperate.

When the USS Iowa stopped in Egypt for a routine visit, we took a tour of the Pyramids. The ship packed us box lunches, and when I opened mine, it was bologna, and I hate balogna. So I gave it to some kid that was standing near me begging. He grabbed it, and all of a sudden, kids were coming from every direction, grabbing at me, pointing to their mouths, and wanting food. Pretty sad and sobering experience for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X