Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 79

Thread: reforms @ UNSC

  1. #16
    New Member diago's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Sep 08
    Location
    varanasi india
    Posts
    0
    according to me,
    brazil from south america,south africa from africa and india should be given the seat in UNSC.because brazil and south africa being large devloping counties from their continents would be able take care of intrest of their region.
    india is now nowhere a country of 50's or 60's rather a rising economic military superpower of 21st cent. indias entry would also bee seen as power balance in asia which is presently being dominated by china

  2. #17
    Senior Contributor Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    01 Aug 07
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by payeng View Post
    UNO represents the interests of the govts. of the nations and not necessarily the individuals within those nations.Hence the statement of representation of the population of a nation is void.
    Ah, so its not democratic representation you sought earlier... but rather, err, cratocratic?

  3. #18
    Official Thread Jacker Senior Contributor gunnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Jan 06
    Location
    DPRK, Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Posts
    23,818
    I have a better idea. Let's disband the UN. Or at the very least, disband the SC.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

  4. #19
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Jul 08
    Posts
    777
    The SC is meant to be a balance between representation and feasibility. Don't forget what the SC is originally for.

  5. #20
    Herodotus
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by payeng View Post
    There should be more democratic approach in the UN regarding UNSC

    Cold war is over now and new time demands that there should be a proportionally equal representation in the world body.
    The UNSC wasn't designed along Cold War lines; the P5 consist of the victors of WWII.

  6. #21
    Senior Contributor Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    01 Aug 07
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
    The UNSC wasn't designed along Cold War lines; the P5 consist of the victors of WWII.
    Except of course that ROC's seat was given to PRChina, then USSR's seat to Russia...

  7. #22
    Herodotus
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    Except of course that ROC's seat was given to PRChina, then USSR's seat to Russia...
    Communist Chinese didn't fight the Japanese? Russians weren't involved in the Eastern Front? News to me....

  8. #23
    Senior Contributor Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    01 Aug 07
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
    Communist Chinese didn't fight the Japanese? Russians weren't involved in the Eastern Front? News to me....
    Never said they didn't, but the world's recognition of who constituted the "victor" changed as newer events continued to occur... it is something amusing to me.

  9. #24
    Senior Contributor xrough's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Jan 07
    Location
    Manila
    Posts
    1,295
    On my personal view, veto powers should be removed from all the permanent members of the SC because it gives power to permanent members to exercise everything according to there will even in a wrong way. Take for example the Georgia issue, SC bound to maintain peace and give punishment (whatever it is) to violators. Georgia had a defeat from Russia but do we heard Russia being reprimand or anything?I dont think so..Russia is confident that they can block any SC moves through its veto powers, same way for the US. But if there are no veto and we will go like voting for example everybody will be challenged to rely on diplomacy between all the members. And for the question of US allies in the SC..that is the challenge for Russia to win allies in the SC.

    For the expansion of the permenent members of the SC, I would vote for Brazil because for many occassion Brazil made a representation for developing world. South Africa also for the african representation and Japan for additional Asian representative. Europe I think is well represented in the SC.

    All these are my personal views, any comments and reactions are highly accepte..)

  10. #25
    Regular
    Join Date
    04 Oct 08
    Location
    Land of Seven Sisters
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnut View Post
    I have a better idea. Let's disband the UN. Or at the very least, disband the SC.
    I donot support the idea. UN is a Prospective world body. An Organisation like this can prevent a world war and contribute for the betterment of mankind. It is a community of world body for the upcomming global village.

    Distinct and autonomous administrative, legislative and jusiciay powers of the world body should be
    rigidly divided to the UNSC, UNGA and the International Court of Justice with emergency provisions.

  11. #26
    Regular
    Join Date
    04 Oct 08
    Location
    Land of Seven Sisters
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by xrough View Post
    On my personal view, veto powers should be removed from all the permanent members of the SC because it gives power to permanent members to exercise everything according to there will even in a wrong way.
    I support your statement

    And for the question of US allies in the SC..that is the challenge for Russia to win allies in the SC.
    I would opt for the urge for a global village.

    any comments and reactions are highly accepte..)
    May I know your opinion about India?

  12. #27
    Regular
    Join Date
    04 Oct 08
    Location
    Land of Seven Sisters
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
    The UNSC wasn't designed along Cold War lines; the P5 consist of the victors of WWII.
    we need no WWII victors, we need no WWIII, we need a World Body to prevent such WWs, and to promote peace and prosperity.
    Last edited by payeng; 07 Oct 08, at 17:45.

  13. #28
    Official Thread Jacker Senior Contributor gunnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Jan 06
    Location
    DPRK, Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Posts
    23,818
    Quote Originally Posted by payeng View Post
    I donot support the idea. UN is a Prospective world body. An Organisation like this can prevent a world war and contribute for the betterment of mankind. It is a community of world body for the upcomming global village.
    Name some UN's achievements.

    Quote Originally Posted by payeng View Post
    Distinct and autonomous administrative, legislative and jusiciay powers of the world body should be
    rigidly divided to the UNSC, UNGA and the International Court of Justice with emergency provisions.
    And the people who staff these agencies, should they be loyal to their country or loyal to UN?
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

  14. #29
    Regular
    Join Date
    04 Oct 08
    Location
    Land of Seven Sisters
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnut View Post
    Name some UN's achievements.
    Suppose, till now the UN failed to achieve any desirable results does it necessarily mean that there should be no initiatives like the United Nations Human Rights Council(UNHRC), Millennium Development Goals, The Peace building Commission etc.

    And the people who staff these agencies, should they be loyal to their country or loyal to UN?
    The should be loyal toward their commitments that they are entrusted to.

  15. #30
    Official Thread Jacker Senior Contributor gunnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Jan 06
    Location
    DPRK, Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Posts
    23,818
    Quote Originally Posted by payeng View Post
    Suppose, till now the UN failed to achieve any desirable results does it necessarily mean that there should be no initiatives like the United Nations Human Rights Council(UNHRC), Millennium Development Goals, The Peace building Commission etc.
    So something doesn't work or has not produced any results, but we should continue to fund it or expand it. I would like to do your home improvement project.

    Quote Originally Posted by payeng View Post
    The should be loyal toward their commitments that they are entrusted to.
    Their government sent them to work at the UN.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •