Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Modeling Course

  1. #1
    FreeGeneral Senior Contributor Big K's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Dec 06
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey, Turkey
    Posts
    2,490

    Modeling Course

    Revell - Build your Dream: Search result,

    i just started this kit at 1/48 scale. it is my first kit since the start of 2000's

    it is a level4 kit. but i am not happy with its quality.

    i just wonder any tricks about painting it especially multicolored . do i definitely need an airbrush or a set of brushes may sufficient?

    i wanted to start this topic for sharing modeling experiences and tricks for all.

    thanks in advance.

    Kerem
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

  2. #2
    Patron
    Join Date
    14 Feb 06
    Posts
    295
    I would say that an airbrush is needed, most defenitly!

    But I have seen skilled painters using brushes with nice result.. But not even close to an airbrush in my opinion..

  3. #3
    FreeGeneral Senior Contributor Big K's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Dec 06
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey, Turkey
    Posts
    2,490
    Thanks about airbrushes.

    btw, i am truly unsatisfied about this kits quality... :(
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

  4. #4
    Patron
    Join Date
    14 Feb 06
    Posts
    295
    REVELL is known for being a load of sh*t..



  5. #5
    FreeGeneral Senior Contributor Big K's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Dec 06
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey, Turkey
    Posts
    2,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Nord View Post
    REVELL is known for being a load of sh*t..



    i can also buy Airfix, Italeri, maybe Hasegawa, Testor and Academy...

    which one is the best? or is there any other kits that you can recommend?
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

  6. #6
    Resident Curmudgeon Military Professional Gun Grape's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Mar 05
    Location
    Panama City Fl
    Posts
    8,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Big K View Post
    i can also buy Airfix, Italeri, maybe Hasegawa, Testor and Academy...

    which one is the best? or is there any other kits that you can recommend?

    Back in the old days, I haven't built a model in 10 yrs, Hasegawa were always some of the better kits. Crisp moldings with very good and mostly accurate details.

    However, with companies buying and selling molds to various kits to each other you sometime will get a 20yr old poor quality model from someone like Airfix or Revell released as a new Tamiya, Hasegawa, Academy model.


    For 1/72 scale aircraft Hasegawa was king.

  7. #7
    Senior Contributor texasjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    29 Jul 06
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    1,294
    Or....

    You take a break from plastic kits and dive off into an insane wooden plane project!!!! I have been screwing with this bf-109 for almost a year, but I think I'm ready to put a coat of primer on some the parts today. I'll post pics in the next day or so!!

    I always try to inspect the kit before I buy it for quality, detail etc. That's why I am a little averse to buying over the net.

  8. #8
    FreeGeneral Senior Contributor Big K's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Dec 06
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey, Turkey
    Posts
    2,490
    Quote Originally Posted by texasjohn View Post
    Or....

    You take a break from plastic kits and dive off into an insane wooden plane project!!!! I have been screwing with this bf-109 for almost a year, but I think I'm ready to put a coat of primer on some the parts today. I'll post pics in the next day or so!!

    I always try to inspect the kit before I buy it for quality, detail etc. That's why I am a little averse to buying over the net.
    infact i made my first %100 home made hovercraft long ago

    my goal was to make a hovercraft by using mateials as cheap as possible.

    so i bought a cheap hair dryer(for its engine),
    some styrofoam,
    some stretch plastic bags (the one that you use for refrigerators),
    and some paper&glue
    the most expensive part was 2x 7,2volts rechargeable battery packs.

    yes i am agree with inspecting plkastic kit but unfortunately there was no other option :(
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

  9. #9
    FreeGeneral Senior Contributor Big K's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Dec 06
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey, Turkey
    Posts
    2,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Grape View Post
    ... For 1/72 scale aircraft Hasegawa was king.
    yes i was addicted to the shape of F-14 these days and was having F-14's from 1/820(from a carrier kit) to 1/48, best was the hasegawas 1/72 F-14A.

    but in Turkey it is hard to get one these days.
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

  10. #10
    Resident Curmudgeon Military Professional Gun Grape's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Mar 05
    Location
    Panama City Fl
    Posts
    8,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Big K View Post
    yes i was addicted to the shape of F-14 these days and was having F-14's from 1/820(from a carrier kit) to 1/48, best was the hasegawas 1/72 F-14A.

    but in Turkey it is hard to get one these days.
    I know the feeling. Back in the days before low vis markings I had 1/72 models for every F-14 squadron in the US Navy.

    I also had about 25 F-5E models. One for every camo scheme used by both Top Gun and the USAF Aggressor squadrons.

    And a 1/72 model, in appropriate markings, including the 1949 all yellow with blue markings, of every plane the Blue Angels flew from the Hellcat to the Skyhawk.

  11. #11
    FreeGeneral Senior Contributor Big K's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Dec 06
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey, Turkey
    Posts
    2,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Grape View Post
    I know the feeling. Back in the days before low vis markings I had 1/72 models for every F-14 squadron in the US Navy.

    I also had about 25 F-5E models. One for every camo scheme used by both Top Gun and the USAF Aggressor squadrons.

    And a 1/72 model, in appropriate markings, including the 1949 all yellow with blue markings, of every plane the Blue Angels flew from the Hellcat to the Skyhawk.
    maybe it sounds weird but i dont like F-5's but i lile T-38's shape.

    i remember when i first realize i was schocked that my Su-27 is not 1/48 but same as my F-14's 1/72 scale.

    Russian birds are beautiful for no doubt.

    but today i think that Jet models dont show the craftmanship unlike the ww2 or ww1 planes, dont you think so?
    Last edited by Big K; 06 Oct 08, at 03:48.
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

  12. #12
    Regular
    Join Date
    11 Mar 06
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by Big K View Post
    yes i was addicted to the shape of F-14 these days and was having F-14's from 1/820(from a carrier kit) to 1/48, best was the hasegawas 1/72 F-14A.

    but in Turkey it is hard to get one these days.
    hard?
    HASEGAWA F-14D TOMCAT LAST CRUISE 1/72, #12718304 Gittigidiyor.com

  13. #13
    Resident Curmudgeon Military Professional Gun Grape's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Mar 05
    Location
    Panama City Fl
    Posts
    8,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Big K View Post
    but today i think that Jet models dont show the craftmanship unlike the ww2 or ww1 planes, dont you think so?
    It depends on the company that is making the model. In addition, there are more smooth surfaces on a jet. Jets are getting away from recessed panel lines for stealth reasons. So there isn't as much details to add to a jet. Same with the interior. No dials, everything is flat screen panels.

    WW2 planes and early jets offer lots of details that can be molded (or scratchbuilt). Heavier panel lines, exhaust, cowling flaps, big exposed engines,
    and the list goes on.
    Last edited by Gun Grape; 10 Oct 08, at 05:08. Reason: got spell checker for IE

  14. #14
    FreeGeneral Senior Contributor Big K's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Dec 06
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey, Turkey
    Posts
    2,490
    and who is the general distributor? or in which store can i find this model?

    theres no official Hasegawa distributor in here as far as i know...if not please be kind to inform me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Grape View Post
    It depends on the company that is making the model. In addition, there are more smooth surfaces on a jet. Jets are getting away from recessed panel lines for stealth reasons. So there isn't as much details to add to a jet. Same with the interior. No dials, everything is flat screen panels.

    WW2 planes and early jets offer lots of details that can be molded (or scratchbuilt). Heavier panel lines, exaust, cauling flaps, big exposed engines,
    and the list goes on.
    and also modern jets dont show your handcrafting too...just flat panels...
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Time to start a military scale modeling forum here!
    By lulldapull in forum Modelers Corner
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 31 Oct 07,, 16:51
  2. Naval submarine free play exercise question
    By Shadowsided in forum Naval Warfare
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 31 Aug 07,, 15:04
  3. 1st WAB Modelers Contest
    By Ironduke in forum Modelers Corner
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 25 Feb 07,, 19:54
  4. new modeling for global warming
    By Parihaka in forum Science & Technology
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 21 Oct 05,, 03:43
  5. A couple of great naval modeling websites!
    By lulldapull in forum Modelers Corner
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27 Jan 05,, 20:02

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •