UK considers JSF pullout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
    And I bet they'l replace the poor, overworked VC10s 1st, so the Tristars are probably gonna be around for a while.
    Tristars in service untill 2012 at least I think (cant remember where I read that).

Comment

• BP just had a numper profits rounds. rather than tax them any more, lets encourage them to sponsor the troops and negotiate with Boeing / Airbus for 6-8 mid size jets for the lads.

Pipe dreams. Some one gimmie an idea like google and ill fund the troops myself.
      Naval Warfare Discussion is dying on WAB

Comment

• From Jane's :

Analysis: Reducing F-35 purchase could save UK up to USD5.8bn
        By Craig Caffrey
        31 October 2008

As the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) struggles to cope with the budgetary pressures of conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan and a massive equipment modernisation process, major cuts in one or more programmes appear to Jane's to be inevitable.

The global financial crisis and the UK's subsequent response in October (including the multi-billion pound buttressing of the banking system and a commitment to increase public spending to offset recession) has since added to the strain felt by the Treasury. Lingering hopes that extra funding would be made available to supplement the defence budget in the short to medium term appear to have been dashed.

Despite already scaling back programmes such as the UK Royal Navy's (RN's) Type 45 destroyer (which has dropped from an initial requirement of 12 ships to six at present) and the UK Royal Air Force's (RAF's) Nimrod MRA.4 maritime patrol aircraft (the originally envisaged 21-aircraft order has since dropped to 12), further cuts are expected to be announced in order to address the deficit in the defence budget.

Speculation over which projects are most at risk is continuing. Jane's Defence Forecasts believes that one programme that could see drastic cuts is the Joint Combat Aircraft (JCA) programme through which the RAF and RN intend to acquire the Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II multirole fighter.

According to the MoD, the UK's current planning assumption is to purchase up to 150 short take-off vertical landing (STOVL) aircraft.

Jane's believes this total is likely to be reduced down to around 85-100 aircraft when the production contract is finalised, creating savings of at least USD4.5 billion (GBP2.7 billion) to USD5.8 billion in acquisition costs alone.

The potential for cutting the programme stems from the fact that JCA is the only high-profile, high-cost project that the MoD could scale back significantly without detrimentally affecting the capabilities of the UK's armed forces in future.

A reduction in the number of F-35s procured to as few as 85 aircraft would allow the RAF to maintain its current fast jet combat aircraft inventory levels while at the same time increasing the capability and flexibility of the force.

390 of 979 words
        © 2008 Jane's Information Group

End of non-subscriber extract

Link

Comment

• for the love of GOD could some one just give the armed forces the money they need.

2 new carriers with no planes to fly from them looks like a very real situation.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag ........." well not quite yet but close!
          Naval Warfare Discussion is dying on WAB

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
            And I bet they'l replace the poor, overworked VC10s 1st, so the Tristars are probably gonna be around for a while.
            Poor overworked VC10's is an understatement, the first time I joined my Regiment overseas was flown there in a VC10.............that was 1969
            sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

• Regarding the French planes, they have just agreed to full technology transfer with India, so we would/should easily get the same.

I have a broader problem with getting a French plane, and that’s tanker aircraft. The F-18 can be fitted with a buddy tank I believe, to enable one to refuel other planes in the air (which is a pretty darn good feature), this is something I believe is lacking from any other aircraft.

This is also my major concern with the version of the F-35 we are looking to buy; will we be able to have refuelling versions and electronic warfare versions like the F-18 Growler (Think that that’s the right name)?

My view is, if we can’t get these from the F-35, get the F-18 and have an overall more flexible force. Didnt Boeing offer a F-18 version Three for Australia?

Comment

• Originally posted by VarSity View Post
                Regarding the French planes, they have just agreed to full technology transfer with India, so we would/should easily get the same.

I have a broader problem with getting a French plane, and that’s tanker aircraft. The F-18 can be fitted with a buddy tank I believe, to enable one to refuel other planes in the air (which is a pretty darn good feature), this is something I believe is lacking from any other aircraft.
                Nope. The Rafale can use the same buddy tanking pod as the Super Hornet.

This is also my major concern with the version of the F-35 we are looking to buy; will we be able to have refuelling versions and electronic warfare versions like the F-18 Growler (Think that that’s the right name)?
                A variant of the tanking pod is being looked at for the F-35. As for electronic attack variant, the Navy decided on the Super Hornet as its platform. The JSF also has self-jamming features combined with itself. You probably aren't going to need a dedicated electronic warfare platform with the F-35.

My view is, if we can’t get these from the F-35, get the F-18 and have an overall more flexible force. Didnt Boeing offer a F-18 version Three for Australia?
                The block III isn't even a concept yet, but like Boeing kicking around ideas.
                F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Working...
                X