X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramifications on the US Social Order - An Early Impression

9/11/01: Ramifications on the US Social Order - An Early Impression

Kim Scipes*

The attacks of September 11th on the United States have had and continue to have a big impact on the US social order. However, I suggest these impacts are considerably different from those being discussed in any mainstream media outlet in this country, either in print or television. This article is an attempt to present an "alternative" view from a social change activist living and acting in Chicago, Illinois, USA.

The attacks truly shocked Americans. Obviously, the horrific pictures of the destruction and death that were incessantly shown on television and reproduced in our newspapers had a big impact. For a people who are so incredibly parochial and inwardly focused in regard to global affairs--despite the imperial impact of the US government and multinational corporations developed here--these attacks unquestionably made people aware that there was a world beyond our borders.

And let's not be surprised by this shock. For a people who have been taught that what the United States does in the world is always benign if not truly positive--the war in Viet Nam is almost always explained as an "aberration"--and whose country has not suffered a major attack from outside our borders since the British burned Washington, DC in 1812, these attacks were incomprehensible to most "ordinary" Americans.

The media (and, of course, the political elites) took advantage of this naiveté. In response to the general question of "why would anyone do this to us?," the general response was that people hated our freedoms and our democracy. From the beginning, these attacks were presented by the media and governmental officials as attacks on the very existence of the United States, that it was an attack on our nation. The leading newspaper in the United States, The New York Times, had "U.S. ATTACKED" as its front page headline the day following the attacks. That following Sunday (September 16th), the Chicago Tribune headlined a special section on the attacks as "September 11, 2001: When evil struck America."
    The common response was one of solidarity with the victims of the attacks, expressed in a nationalistic manner: US flags proliferated everywhere. People gathered almost spontaneously, and I can remember vividly the marches in my community, a community that is comprised overwhelmingly of Latinos--mostly immigrants from Puerto Rico and Mexico--and mostly of working class people. This was not orchestrated from outside, but came from within our communities. Each march featured many US flags, as a sense of solidarity with the victims and reaffirming the dedication to this country.
    But the media presented these genuine expressions of solidarity and sympathy as being expressions of patriotism, as support of whatever the political elites and the US Government were to do to ensure the safety of the US. In other words, they conflated the display of the US flag as being an expression of patriotism--and a certain type of patriotism at that--with expressions of solidarity and sympathy.

Out of this particular representation, the media called for a massive and military response to the "terrorism." This, in turn, inspired President Bush and his allies to push the specific imperial policies they have since instituted in addition to the general imperial policies that have long been in effect. At the same time, the media was pushing polling results for support of US war, and politicians could then use these poll results to justify their own pro-militaristic positions. So, news out of the United States almost uniformly claims that the American people are resolutely united behind President Bush.
    I'm going to suggest that the real situation is much more ambiguous to date, although the many groups who actively oppose Bush and the political elites' war on the rest of the world have not been able to raise the cost to the elites sufficiently to stop US terrorism around the world. I do not want to overstate my position, and claim this is "just around the corner"--it certainly is not--but to argue that there is much, much more going on inside the US social order than most can even imagine. And while it will take a while--I certainly refuse to even suggest when--I think the attacks of 9/11 are going to reverberate within the US social order for a very long time.

To make this argument, I'm going to divide the rest of this essay into three sections. I focus on (1) the absolute failure of major US social institutions (military/intelligence; the media; and the government); (2) the undermining of the imperial promise of empire; and (3) Americans' increased questioning of today's social order. If I am correct, then, we are seeing the preconditions for social conflict within the United States that we have not seen since at least the 1960s and, more probably, since the mid 1930s-early 1940s.

1. The absolute failure of major US social institutions.
    There are three major US social institutions that have failed to adequately respond to the attacks: the military/intelligence system, the news media; and the government. I discuss each in turn.

A) The military/intelligence system. This is the failure that is most obvious.
    The US has spent not just billions of dollars but between 1.5-2 trillions (a trillion is 12-zeros, or a million millions) since 1945 to create the most powerful military/intelligence system the world has ever seen. While most of the post-World War II period has seen this military/intelligence power projected in offensive actions against other countries, ultimately it is intended to defend the United States from foreign attack. By any stretch of the imagination, or however one wants to define the situation, this entire system failed to defend the US from these attacks.

There's increasing evidence that the US was forewarned of impending attacks. An attack by a radical Muslim organization was thwarted in the Philippines in 1995--mainly by luck--that was to plant bombs on airliners flying over the Pacific Ocean and to detonate them in mid-air: the possibility of attacking airliners was well known. Closer to September 11th, President Bush was briefed on August 6, 2001 of possible impending attacks. It also turns out that the National Security Agency, which can "eves drop" on electronic communications from around the world, had intercepted communications on September 10th which specifically suggested that something important would take place the next day. No warnings were given to tighten security at airlines.

Not only did the intelligence fail to pick up the activities of the attackers on their own, but they failed in light of a number of warnings from foreign intelligence services. We don't know all of the countries that warned the US that an attack was imminent, and perhaps never will, but Egypt specifically warned us. I have seen a report that not only did Israel's Mosad warn us--and this seems quite likely--but that they even passed this warning through the British, German and Russian intelligence agencies. In any case, it's clear that the US Government was forewarned.

And despite the failure of the intelligence system to prevent the attacks from even taking place, the military failed to respond in time to prevent even the third plane that threatened the White House and ultimately attacked the Pentagon. I'm giving the military the benefit of the doubt here: I can understand that they may not have anticipated the first airliner plowing into the World Trade Center in New York City and, once that happened, I can even understand that they would never expect that that would be duplicated. But once that second plane hit, it should have been obvious to even the most obtuse military commander that something unprecedented was taking place, and every unusual act involving commercial aircraft should have come under immediate suspicion.

Yet, despite an airliner taking off from Dulles International Airport west of Washington, DC, flying west across West Virginia and over southern Ohio--a couple hundred miles at least--then disappearing off of radar according to The New York Times, turning 180 degrees and heading east without getting permission of the air traffic control system which closely monitors each flight, and then flying back another 60 miles east of Dulles, flying over DC and making a big circular turn to attack the Pentagon, no interceptors were even launched by the military to even check it out, much less shoot it down.
    According to The Times, the second plane had hit the World Trade Center at 9:06 am, and the Federal Aviation Agency (FAA) closed all New York City airports at 9:17. At 9:40, the FAA grounded all flights in the country. At 9:45 am--39 minutes after the second plane went into the World Trade Center--American Airlines Flight 77 hit the Pentagon.
    And yet, no fighter/interceptors were ever launched. Andrews Air Force Base, where the President's "Air Force One" is based, is 11 minutes away from Washington. There are also numerous other military air bases in the vicinity of Washington, DC. No interceptors were ever launched.

That this happened is strange--and so far, unexplained. But the more we look into it, it gets even more curious. The US air traffic control system is run by the Federal Aviation Administration. The FAA has regulations regarding interception of "unidentified" aircraft, and FAA regulations see US airspace as a military "field"--in fact, there are protocols of what is to be done if the US is attacked and control of the airspace is handed to the US military. In other words, even though US airspace is ostensibly run by a civilian agency, in reality, it has long been permanently militarized by the US Government.
    And here's where I have to share some of my background. I spent four years in the US Marine Corps between 1969-73 (and fortunately staying in the US all four years!). I was a sergeant at the time I got released from active duty, and served in the air wing as an avionics (airborne electronics) technician. So, while I cannot claim specific knowledge of what happened that September day, I can claim some general knowledge about how the military works on a day-to-day basis. And one of the things I am certain of is that the military has very specific plans, procedures and operations to ensure the control of US airspace--and that they periodically test to see if these plans and procedures are in fact operationable under actual conditions--as a means of ensuring the safety of the United States.

Not only that, but under US military doctrine as I understand it, there is no more important military installation in the world than the Pentagon. Along with this, not surprisingly, is the importance of the White House (not to mention Congress, Supreme Court and other governmental departments and agencies). I am not claiming that the US would fall apart if the Pentagon or White House were destroyed--obviously, they have back up facilities and plans to ensure the continuation of governmental functions in case these sites were destroyed and/or their occupants killed--but there should be no better defended locality in this country (and probably the world) than the Washington, DC area.

One other thing is that all civilian commercial aircraft in the air are under the control of the FAA's air traffic control system. One can listen on some aircraft while flying--as I did in August 2000 as I flew between Baltimore (just slightly northeast of Washington) and Chicago--to the communications between all the aircraft under control of the same site as the aircraft you are flying on. So, if your aircraft is under command of site "x," you can not only hear communication between your pilots and the control center, but you can hear the communications between all planes under control of that same center and staff of that center. And each center has a certain jurisdiction, so when you reach the limits of center "x" you are "handed off" (transferred) to center "y" and so on, all across the United States. As far as I can ascertain, there is simply no area in the United States where a commercial aircraft is not under the surveillance and control of one specific air traffic control center.

In addition to verbal communication with a center, each aircraft carries a "transponder," which automatically identifies each aircraft with its corporate designation and flight number--I assume each aircraft's transponder would be set by the crew before each flight so a specific designation would be used. So while radar can locate an aircraft while flying, the transponder identifies that particular aircraft, so air traffic controllers always know which aircraft on their radar screen is which. So, an American Airlines aircraft--let's use flight 77-- would be continuously identified electronically as AA77 on the radar screens of controllers in each center in turn that had control over that flight.

And, again, if you listen to the control center/aircraft communications, what you hear is a controller and his/her aircraft crew working together as a team to get that aircraft safely through the airspace and on schedule. So, the controller will tell the crew what course heading to fly, what altitude to fly at, and at what speed: they want to keep all aircraft a specified distance from each other--both horizontally and vertically--and they don't want more than one plane to end up in the same area at the same time, such as trying to land at the same airport. Thus, while a flight crew will file a flight plan before taking off, this is their general intention of how they plan the flight--it is continuously reconsidered in flight and in relation to other aircraft and the weather, and the ongoing interaction between controller and crew will determine the actual flight path. It is due to this close communication process that air traffic is as safe as it is: in short, there is as little as possible that is not covered--air travel is not left to chance. (And my understanding is that this process occurs throughout the world.)

So, let's think about this. We have an aircraft hijacked somewhere over southern Ohio that is flying in a very controlled airspace. It makes a 180 degree turn, and goes off radar screens. (In reality, that aircraft could not go off the radar screens--this almost certainly means that the transponder was turned off/dismantled so it could no longer be automatically identified--but it would still be observable on radar as an airborne "object" even if unidentified.) I assume if the transponder was made inoperable, then voice communication with the various control centers was not taking place. This aircraft, then, flies over 200 miles toward what should be the most defended locality in the country, which would have to take somewhere at least around 30 minutes. That means that almost all of these events took place after the second plane hit the World Trade Center. Now, by any definition, I think this aircraft's behavior would have to be identified as questionable. And especially in light of two planes being flown into the World Trade Center that very morning, no interceptors were ever launched to check out this aircraft's behavior...? It simply does not make sense to me. I cannot see all of this happening without specific, high-level intervention.

But let's understand something here that may not jump out at readers. I am not saying that someone tried to get the air traffic control system in its larger sense to act in ways that it was not designed to do--I am saying that someone got the air traffic control system not to do something it was specifically supposed to do. This is against the entire logic of the air traffic control system as I understand it.

To the best of my knowledge--I must state that this is speculation, albeit somewhat informed speculation--air traffic controllers should have immediately reported such aberrant behavior by an aircraft to their supervisor, even under "usual" circumstances. They might not have reported a transponder going out, but a large set of questionable behaviors--the transponder going out, the aircraft then making a 180 degree turn to the east which was almost certainly not part of the filed flight plan for a flight going west from Dulles to Los Angeles, a flight continuing after this turn for around a half hour (and thus not making an emergency landing, say in Cincinnati, Ohio), with no verbal communication: it seems almost impossible that this was not brought to some supervisor's attention, and especially during a period of time immediately after two planes had been flown into the World Trade Center and after the FAA grounded all flights in the country. And, in light of all of this, it seems almost certain that activities of this sort during such an emergency period would have been reported to the military, which it seems to me under almost any circumstance would have--at very least--launched interceptors to try to ascertain what was going on. And yet, I have seen no reports of any interceptors being launched.
    Now, it may turn out that there was equipment failure or procedures not correctly implemented that caused interceptors not to be launched. That is always a possibility--and I , as a military veteran, recognize that the efficiency of the US military is far below that which it publicly projects. But the military hierarchy knows this, too, and undoubtedly has backup systems and plans to overcome any such failure. There is no way in hell this failure should have ever happened. Period.
    So, we have a problem. Despite trillions of dollars being spent, and years of planning and testing procedures, and extensive training, there was an unprecedented set of intelligence and military operational failures. How this could happen, and why it was able to happen, must be explained: these failures will never be accepted until they are completely examined by an independent body and explained.

(B) The news media. From the very beginning, the corporate news media ("mass" media) has acted in amazingly similar manner, basically accepting official reports and transmitting them as gospel. There has been an incredible lack of skepticism toward government actions and statements from an institution that incessantly trumpets its important role in protecting US democracy through critical examination of corporate and political elites.

The media actually, at times, even has been a proponent of military action. While I can't remember the specific headline, I remember one headline in the Chicago Sun Times, above a picture of a US aircraft carrier, saying something like "We're Coming to Get You!" This must be recognized to be taking place in the context of a media that almost never covers anything other than train wrecks or natural disasters in so-called "developing" countries.

Critical reporting has almost been totally absent from the US media. I have seen no effort to explain why any one could conceivably want to attack the United States. I have seen no critical examination of US foreign or corporate policy. To the best of my recollection, there has not been any effort to point out that Bin Laden and the fundamentalist Mujdaheen were trained, funded and supported by the CIA during their war with the Soviets. I cannot remember seeing any discussion of why the US attacked Afghanistan when 15 of the 19 attackers were identified almost immediately as being from Saudi Arabia, and none have been identified as Afghani. Nor has there been almost any critical examination of the US war against Afghanistan--the few US reporters that were sent into the region more than likely had no experience in or knowledge about the region previously, and almost certainly had no native language skills. (If you compare what has been reported in the British media--particularly by reporters such as Robert Fisk and John Pilger--with that in the US media, it would make you sick at the propaganda we have been fed by the US media.)

On top of that, there has been almost no effort to examine reports by media of other countries. Thus, developments identified by foreign reporters--such as ties between Bin Laden's family and the Bush family, particularly through the Carlyle Group, or the report that the head of the CIA station visited Bin Laden last year when the latter was in the hospital in, I believe, Oman--are not even examined; they are ignored. There has been almost a conscious effort NOT to get to the bottom of things.

And as Israel has projected Palestinian aspirations and efforts for independence as being "terroristic," the US media has almost unquestionably accepted, amplified and then projected this propaganda. There is almost no subtlety to this process. President Arafat--not my idea of a democrat to say the least--has been demonized as a terrorist, and thus any efforts to get rid of him are acceptable. The only change has been that the media has reported the increased conflict that has taken place in the region, so Americans at least have learned that there is a lot of conflict currently taking place. But the conflict is obviously created by the suicide bombers.

Where there has been some reporting has been on domestic developments in the US since the attack. The Bush Administration--whose very election itself was an affront to democratic principles and our established practices--has been working overtime to trample traditional American freedoms: sometimes attacking general rights, but specifically attacking rights of Muslims and people from Western Asia (who, following British imperial policy, are generally referred to as being from the "Middle East.") Some of this has been reported.

And once in a while, some Democratic politician will screw up her/his courage and say something critical of the president or the way he is conducting US affairs. While keeping these complaints very specific and limited, there is some slight reporting of these critiques. After all, the media feels it necessary to maintain the fiction of two political alternatives available to US citizens. However, in general, all Bush has to do is claim "we're in a time of war," and the media shoves its tail between its legs, and whimpers away.

Where this can particularly be seen is around the myriad of corporate scandals currently coming to light in this country. The most obvious case is the corporation called "Enron," which is an energy company. The head of Enron was/is a close personal friend of George Bush's--and a very major campaign contributor over the years. Enron spent tons of money to effect the US political process in addition to helping to elect Bush: they contributed to so many politicians, such as US Attorney General John Ashcroft, that these politicians have had to remove themselves from any investigation of the corporation's activities. The entire US Attorney's Office in Houston--which is the chief Federal law enforcement agency in a city--had to remove itself from investigations because each US Attorney had ties to Enron or its staff. And, of course, they lobbied extensively to get their view of the world accepted throughout the US Government. Thus, the business failure of Enron--which has been fairly well reported--is at the same time the epitome of a political scandal, where a corporation got access and actively intervened to get government legislation and regulatory findings to enhance its business operations. This has not been well reported.

But the scandal is more extensive than that. Because of Enron's close ties to senior members of the Bush Administration, its leaders were given privileged access to high level administration members--specifically including Vice President Dick Cheney and his committee to establish US oil policy--so it was intimately involved in not only setting US oil policy but, more importantly, US foreign policy in general. The Enron-Bush Administration connection is a scandal that far exceeds its business failure--at one time the 5th largest US corporation, but now in bankruptcy--and is a scandal that directly illuminates how corporate America has been able to subvert our democratic processes and undermine American democracy in its entirety. But you won't find any serious examination of that in our corporate media.

(C) The political system. Where all of this comes together is in our political system.
    There has been an almost total failure of our governmental "leaders" since 9/11: they may bleat here and there, but they have lined up to follow Bush in a manner that lemmings wish they could replicate. After the September attacks, out of 525 US representatives in Congress, only one--an African-American woman named Barbara Lee--had the courage to oppose the blank check being given George Bush. The "dime's worth" of difference between the Republicans and Democrats--a dime is worth 10 pennies or 1/10th of a dollar, an almost inconsequential difference--is probably less than one penny today in regard to US foreign policy.

Accordingly, there has been almost no substantive debate among governmental representatives as to the US role in the world and its militaristic approach to every situation that cannot be bought off by massive amounts of economic and/or financial aid.

What we have here is a total lack of imagination by the US political and economic elites, even regarding their own interests. George Bush promises us war in perpetuity, and almost no one at an official level dissents. No one points out that Israel has been carrying out the exact same policy--perhaps with less sophistication, perhaps with more--and it has not been what I'd call an overwhelming success. But we cannot worry about that--after all, to our Christian Fundamentalist president, "We have God on our side!" (Fundamentalists are not confined to Jewish or Muslim religions--there are more than enough Christian Fundamentalists in this country alone!)

But the problem made obvious since 9/11 with our political system is that there is no alternative to the Democrats and Republicans. They either represent you, or you are, in the American colloquialism, "**** out of luck" (S-O-L).
    And this brings me to my larger point about developments in this country: to carry out is political program, the political elite does not have to gain acceptance by the citizenry--they only have to gain apparent acquiescence. And to a very large degree, they have achieved this. There is protest--especially at an intellectual level--but it has not developed to the extent that it questions the legitimacy of the elites.

2. The undermining of the imperial promise of empire.
    I'm going to take the above to a more general level: I believe the failures of these social institutions are a direct threat to the imperial promise of empire. What do I mean by this?

We have to go back to the end of World War II for this to make sense. The US was the only major industrial country in the world to emerge with its economic and political systems unscathed--every country in which the war had been fought had been devastated, and this included every other industrialized country. The US political and economic elites--seeking to replace the British Empire, but fearing the political consequences of another economic depression--worked to establish a political-economic-cultural system that would dominate the non-Soviet dominated parts of the world and would provide economic stability in the "mother" country. The US military was key to this imperial plan, but it was more than just pure military domination: it included economic, political and cultural domination. The world's economy was taken off of gold and placed on the US dollar, and US productive processes were overwhelming: in 1948, the United States alone produced 48% of the entire world's goods and services! This was supplemented by the establishment of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank, as well as US domination of the UN. And, of course, it was supplemented by establishment of the Central Intelligence Agency, CIA, or as a friend of mine calls it, the Committee to Intervene Anywhere!

Yet, this was not enough to guarantee the acceptance of this imperial system by the American population. After all, the 1930s and '40s had seen the emergence of one of the most powerful labor movements in the world, and the left--especially the Communist Party--had sufficient roots in the US experience to be seen as a real threat to the social order.
    The political and economic elites addressed these concerns in a couple of ways. First, during what is now known as the McCarthy era--named after a reactionary US Senator, Joe McCarthy--but which really started during World War II, there was a policy of repression directed against the left. This took place particularly within the labor movement, but it later spread throughout the entire society.

The second thing, and most importantly for this article, the elites made a "deal" with more conservative social leaders, including most labor leaders. The deal was that if "society" would give the elites carte blanche in running the world, the elites would guarantee economic prosperity across the society along with security from foreign attack.
    And particularly between 1948 and 1973, the elites stuck to the deal. Real family incomes during the period--i.e., after inflation was excluded--doubled across the entire society. It did not result in the undermining of differences between income categories, but it did mean that members of each category doubled their incomes.

Without wanting to prolong this discussion, let me say that this economic betterment that included every income category--there were differences based on race and gender within each category, but here I speak of each income category as a whole--in the 1948-73 period has fallen apart. Americans' economic security and well-being have drastically deteriorated since 1973. Income today for the average American, when inflation is removed, is below that of 1979. At the same time, income inequality in this country is extreme: when I compare US income inequality levels to global levels reported by the CIA, the level of income inequality in this country today is comparable to that of low-end "developing" countries. It is really that bad.

But these facts are almost never reported in the corporate media. Every now and then, though, something slips through: in late June, The New York Times reported that average income of corporate Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) is 410 times that of the average worker! (It was only 70 times larger in 1985.)

What I'm trying to convey here is that the economic situation of most Americans is deteriorating, absolutely as well as relatively. While we have generally nice houses--although nothing like those portrayed in the movies and on TV!--and many "goodies," the reality is that most Americans are living off their credit cards. We are a nation of people in extreme indebtedness.

That should not be a big surprise. The US Government is also living off of debt. Our balance of trade deficit has broken records in each of the past six years. Bush's tax "reform"--with benefits going almost totally to the very rich--along with the financial valuation crash of the stock market and related incomes that we are currently experiencing, has again thrown the US Government's budget into deficit.

If the world's economic system was not based on the dollar, as a country, we'd be SOL. Being the dominant imperialist country means never having to say you are sorry.

But while that may be true in relation to other countries, the worsening economic situation among most Americans cannot be so easily dismissed. Certainly one part of the imperial promise has many holes punched through it. More, I'm sorry to say, will be coming.

The main ramification of September 11th, however, is that the other part of the "deal" is also worthless. The US state can no longer promise to protect us, to keep us safe from what the elites do to the rest of the peoples of the world.
    However, not only can they no longer protect us, but we must accept their disemboweling of the very freedoms and democratic processes that they've told us all along makes our country special, that is our "Americanness." This has not been clearly presented to the American public, but I think all developments over the last few months point in this direction. The maintenance of the social order uber alles.

3. Americans' increased questioning of today's social order.
    I've painted a fairly harsh critique of developments in the United States, and certainly presented an account of developments in this country that are in almost total variance with those presented by the corporate media. What does this mean?

Two things are taking place across this country, albeit in different locations, episodically, and with relative little coordination: one, there is a fairly high level of activism taking place, challenging various social conditions here and abroad; and two, the economic security and sense of well-being for many "ordinary" Americans is under tremendous assault.

Especially since the anti-World Trade Organization demonstrations in Seattle in late 1999, there has been a real re-emgence of activism across the country. Globalization is being challenged more and more as Americans see "our" jobs being exported across our borders. (Please let me explain: the overwhelming number of Americans do not consider the gross inequality between "first world" and "third world" countries, nor do they generally even think about the well-being of people in other countries. This can be, and often is manipulated into a very nationalist protest against workers in other countries "stealing our jobs." However, this global ignorance is being contested to a greater and greater extent by globally-focused activists.) Along with this is an anti-sweatshop movement that has spread particularly across college campuses, and has done so quicker than the Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) spread in the 1960s! This movement is specifically focused on challenging multinational corporations' exploitation of "third world" workers.

There are numerous other movements that exist. There are those challenging police violence in particularly African-American and Latino communities; those that are challenging gender oppression; there are those challenging ecological devastation; there are movement fighting gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender oppression; there are those fighting against nuclear weapons and energy. The list is much longer than just this.

The long and short of it is that a greater percentage of young people today have participated in demonstrations of one type or another (40%) than ever did during the 1960s (19%). And a nation-wide poll of over 280,000 entering college students this year reported that more students considered themselves left of liberal than any time since 1966. In short, there is a level of activism taking place that one could never guess from reading the corporate media. And over 100,000 Americans took to the streets in April of this year to protest Bush's war against everything living, with strong, explicit support for the Palestinian struggle. (Our left, with a disproportionate number of Jews in it, has long been highly divided over events in Palestine--these demonstrations indicated that among the left, the rights of the Palestinians are recognized by nearly all!)

But, again, I should not exaggerate: this is not taking place at comparable rates across the country. Much protest is localized in specific geographical areas such as San Francisco, Seattle, New York and Boston, and on college campuses. On the other hand, however, it is not limited to these sites.

Another area that has generated increasing concern, spreading beyond just activists, but slowing spreading to "ordinary" Americans is recognition of global warming and the ongoing ecological devastation. People haven't necessarily figured all of this out, but almost everyone in this region knows that people should not be wearing shorts in Chicago in January, which they were this last year. The midwestern US is a farming region, and people are aware of the weather in very profound ways--and they know something is not right. (Admittedly, however, most of them are not doing anything about it yet: but it does have their concern.) People see the Bush Administration wanting to increase oil drilling in Alaska, while cutting funds to clean up gross ecological pollution, and continuing to fund for highway construction--and they worry.
    At the same time, as I suggested above, the economic situation for most Americans has been deteriorating for a number of years. Lifetime jobs are almost non-existent today when they used to be plentiful. There have been millions of jobs eradicated over the past couple of years--and these have affected those at all income levels, although most have been toward the middle and below. Although all of our political "leaders" have been saying how mild our 2001-02 recession was, I know that I was signed up with five temporary employment firms in Chicago and got one call during the entire summer--and I am highly skilled, typing 65 words per minute and having years of experience!

We have had several years--1997 to 2000--where we had tremendous economic growth in this country. There was a massive increase in "ordinary" Americans putting their money into the stock market, as that was presented as a "sure fire" way to retire well. The on-going corporate failures and exposes of the last half year or so have cost these people collectively billions of dollars, as they've seen their retirement nest eggs evaporate in a puff of smoke. And they also see that nobody in political leadership roles really cares about this.

In short, I see these processes developing during the same time period, albeit with little connection. And I am certain that conditions will not create organization or rebellion. These activists must find ways to connect with, inspire and mobilize "ordinary" people to get active. Relatively little of this is taking place--so far. But there is an increasing understanding among activists that this needs to be done.

CONCLUSIONS
    The social well-being of many Americans is not anywhere near the level that used to exist in the 1948-73 period. Yes, we have more things. But we have more violence in our communities, poorer schools, less economic security, ect. And more ecological devastation.

We also have a political culture of individualism that the political elite has been trying to develop for over 20 years in a direct effort to ensure the collective culture of the 1960s never re-emerges. They have done their job much too well: people are really socially isolated in this social order, and that certainly limits political discussion and mobilization. But it also means that the social problems that are effecting more and more families must be confronted on an individual basis. People's resources are limited, and cannot often be sustained alone for long.

The expansion of activism is heartening. There are many lessons that need to be relearned, and many new things that must be developed. But the questioning is going on--and growing. Where is goes, and how, remains to be seen. However, there are a lot of really bright people trying to figure these things out.

The importance of all this is that Bush's approach to the attacks of 9/11 is bogus. If one reads e-mail list serves, it is obvious that Bush has lost the intellectual war over his "war without end." As the contradictions get exposed, and as people interact over this nonsense, I think we'll see an escalation of protest and internal social conflict in this country. Whether activists can channel it to the extent that it causes the political and economic elites to retreat because it threatens their interests or not remains to be seen. But the potential is there.
    And that's part of the stuff one never gets from the corporate media.

*Kim Scipes is PhD. candidate in Sociology at the University of Illinois at Chicago

Kim Scipes: Ramifications on the US Social Order
    Posting to understand the US more.

Everything has become confusing and so one wants answers to understand.

It could hit us.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Story Updated.
    Daily Kos
    McCain Campaign Admits 'Drill Here, Drill Now' Could Provide U.S Enemies With Our Oil
    by Democratic Tribune
    Mon Sep 15, 2008 at 05:26:48 AM PDT

http://democratictribune.com/...

John McCain and Sarah Palin have gone to great lengths to hide the true details of their economic and energy plans. Recently, however, their damaging vision was exposed for the world to see - and on national television.

During a recent appearance on 'Hardball with Chris Matthews', New Mexico Congresswoman and McCain spokeswoman Heather Wilson (R-NM) was asked directly what McCain would do to take the United States' floundering economy and accompanying 6.1% (and growing) unemployment rate out of recession. Wilson, dodging and weaving in a manner that would make Walt Frazier proud, refused to answer the direct question the first few times when asked by Matthews. When pressed for an answer, she admitted that John McCain's plan consisted of making the Bush tax cuts permanent (and thus continuing to add to a $10 trillion national debt, up $6 trillion from the end of the Clinton presidency) and increasing offshore drilling.

* Democratic Tribune's diary :: ::

Matthews then brought up a salient point regarding the 'drill here, drill now' mantra of the conservative wing of the Republican party: Once we approve all this offshore drilling, how will we keep the rest of the world from outbidding U.S. oil buyers and distributors and cornering the market on crude oil?

Wilson's response? We live in a WORLD economy.

Think Wilson is alone in her promulgation of this dishonest policy? Think again...

Sean Hannity, when pressed on his radio talk show several weeks back regarding potential offshore drilling reaping oil to be bought and held hostage by nations unfriendly to the U.S., quipped the same 'world economy' tell-tale nonsense - then quickly (I counted 1.5 seconds) cut to break.

These telling reminders by McCain-Palin supporters highlight precisely where these people stand on economic recovery in America. The truth is, 'drill here, drill now' isn't REALLY about lessening our dependence on foreign oil. It is and always has been about padding the pockets of oil companies - including those buying and selling from foreign countries.

If the Democratic Party ever needed a hammer to nail home the differences in interests regarding the working class and our economy (as if Republican support of NAFTA wasn't enough), this one is gift-wrapped in solid gold. The Republican party and its surrogates have openly admitted that the world market, including Iran and Russia, will have carte blanche to bid on and control the fruits of any offshore drilling plan. That reality not only has economic ramifications, but national security consequences as well. Can you imagine how strong Russia and Iran will become if they control significant areas of our federal offshore drilling lands?

The rest of the McCain-Palin two-tiered plan to rescue THEIR failed economy is to make permanent the same Bush policies that have led to this recession. The Bush war in Iraq and tax cuts for affluent wage earners has sunk this country deep into debt. Unemployment is at a five-year high. Energy prices and goods are at historic levels. With these two components to the McCain-Palin economic plan, the Democratic Party should have no trouble convincing the American voting public who has its best interests at heart.

As we have pointed out in past articles, this area of focus is the election express for the Democratic Party. The question is, will the Obama campaign drill McCain and Palin day-after-day-after-day until the November election so that the Republican party is unable to escape its abysmal record on the economy?

As Carville and Begala demonstrated during the Clinton presidency, the economy is the key issue to capture the hearts, minds, and votes of the working class. This Bush economy is strangling working Americans and the families they support. Here's hoping that the Obama campaign follows the Clinton lead and reclaims the presidency in November not just for the sake of its campaign, but for the sake of those of us who can no longer tolerate four more years of failed Bush public policies
    Daily Kos: McCain Campaign Admits 'Drill Here, Drill Now' Could Provide U.S Enemies With Our Oil
    Another view.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Economic Crisis: The U.S. Political Leadership Has Failed

by Richard C. Cook

Global Research, September 12, 2007

As the 2007 economic collapse picks up speed, it’s time to take a hard look at the performance of the U.S. national political leadership in meeting some of their most fundamental responsibilities. It’s time to face the fact of serious failure over the last quarter century.

During this time, the leaders of both political parties and of major institutions such as the Federal Reserve have presided over the abandonment of some of the most solemn obligations of constitutional government. They have done this in order to embrace an agenda favorable mainly to the financial, corporate, and government elites.

On January 20, 1981, a full generation ago, President Ronald Reagan said in his first inaugural address, "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."

Reagan was both right and wrong.

The problem the U.S. was facing then was the collapse of the nation’s manufacturing base through a recession that happened when the Federal Reserve raised interest rates to over the twenty percent level. It did so almost a decade after President Richard Nixon removed the gold peg for the dollar, leading to the inflation of the 1970s when our currency flooded world markets through the oil trade.

Reagan’s statement that "government is the problem" was correct to the extent that failed financial policies and the out-of-control actions of a Federal Reserve beholden to private financial interests combined in the worse economic downturn since the Great Depression to wreck the world’s greatest industrial powerhouse.

But he was wrong in thinking that the solution was deregulation of the economy, particularly deregulation of financial and investment institutions which took place during his two terms. The result was enormous growth in the power and influence of Wall Street and the big banks over the rest of the economy. The era of leveraged mergers, acquisitions, and buyouts was the predecessor of the disaster of today with the unfolding fiasco of equity, hedge, and derivative funds in the process of collapse.

After Reagan came President George H.W. Bush. By the end of his term, the loss of manufacturing jobs had produced another recession. Within a couple of years of Bill Clinton’s election in 1992, action by Secretary of the Treasury Robert Rubin to strengthen the dollar attracted enough foreign investment to create the dot.com bubble.

Clinton then cut the federal budget enough by reducing federal employment that he was able to achieve a budget surplus. This lessened the drag on the economy from the national debt which Reagan had left behind from his tax cuts and trillion dollar military build-up. But the over-leveraged dot.com bubble burst with the stock market collapse of 2000, leaving us in recession again.

Enter President George W. Bush. Despite the "achievement" of Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan in creating another bubble—the housing one—big enough to float the U.S. economy for four consecutive years—2002 to 2005—the economic fundamentals today are horrendous. We are living in an economy that has begun to crash, with the Federal Reserve, the Treasury Department, and Congress cobbling together bail-outs of various descriptions which they hope will right what is obviously a sinking ship.

We can only hope they will succeed to some extent, because it would be heartless to wish disaster on the ones who suffer the most from the consequences of the greed and stupidity of people in power—namely the ordinary people who work for a living and who honestly try to raise their families and hold to a decent standard of living. But life is becoming very hard for the vast majority of Americans who have been bearing the brunt of our failed economic and monetary polices of the last three decades.

Our political leadership has let us down in the following critical respects:

Going back to the 1930s, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established an economic system—the New Deal—that pulled the U.S. out of the Great Depression, enabled us to fight World War II, and created the world’s greatest industrial democracy. He did this largely through programs that, taken together, were based on the principle of low-cost credit treated as a public utility. This persisted into the 1960s and 70s, when it was replaced with the system of monetarism, whereby the economy is now regulated by the Federal Reserve through raising and lowering of interest rates. This system, with interest rates much higher, on average, than during previous decades, has been catastrophic for the U.S. economy. It has enriched the financial industry at the expense of everyone else through what can only be called institutionalized usury. Under this system, every period of economic growth since 1983 has been a bank-created bubble, while the general population has become steadily poorer. The Federal Reserve claims that it raises interest rates to reduce inflation, when in fact higher interest rates cause inflation by making every transaction more expensive. Under the reign of monetarism, the U.S. dollar has lost over eighty percent of its value. In fact, government policies are designed to generate inflation, because this makes it cheaper to pay down the national debt and while augmenting tax revenues.
      It has been well-documented that since the early 1980s the federal government has acquiesced in every respect to economic policies that have resulted in the steady erosion of our manufacturing base, elimination of millions of skilled industrial jobs, creation of a crushing burden of household and individual debt, crumbling of our physical infrastructure, privatization or elimination of public services, failure to meet such crises as the Katrina disaster, export of jobs to low-cost foreign labor markets, unfair distribution of taxation, and toleration of the influx of millions of illegal aliens who keep wages low within the domestic economy.
      Since the Clinton administration, the government has misled the public through distortion of economic indicators. Calculations of the GDP are too high and exaggerate the growth of the economy. The consumer price index on which government cost-of-living adjustments are based has eliminated such items as food, fuel, and home buying. Actual inflation is running at a rate of three times what the government estimates; i.e. closer to ten percent than the three percent which is claimed. Regarding the money supply, the Federal Reserve has stopped reporting one of the most important indicators, which is M3—the amount of money available to the largest institutional investors. Data which are available today show without question that the producing economy—that is, the everyday world of people who work for a living—has been in recession for over a year. Meanwhile, the financial economy that lives off the producers as a parasite continues to float on rollovers of mega-loans originating with the Federal Reserve and its policy of allowing banks to capitalize the massive amounts of repurchase agreements generated by electronic funds transfer.
      Insufficient attention has been paid to the disastrous effects of NAFTA in destroying family farming in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. On top of this has been the diversion of agricultural products into bio-fuel production with the attendant inflationary effects. Meanwhile, our food supply has been taken over by agribusiness and the financial markets at the same time that two-thirds of the nation has been in the grip of long-term drought. The high interest rates of the monetarist regime have worked to make farming at the local level impossible and have destroyed the production of entire regions, such as the once-great Idaho potato industry. Unless local farming can be revived, there is a real-danger of massive food shortages breaking out under a prolonged economic crisis.
      Finally, there are our failed foreign and military policies. After the U.S. lost the Vietnam War, we had reason to believe that our political leaders might have learned a lesson about military adventures abroad, particularly land wars on the continent of Asia. Instead, starting in earnest with the "Reagan doctrine" of endless proxy conflicts on every continent, the U.S. has embarked on a policy of world military conquest. The Iraq War, the planned permanent occupation of that country, and the designs being formulated against Iran, are part of a policy of military control of the Middle East that has been ongoing for almost twenty years. The dual objectives of this policy are to control Middle Eastern oil and advance the interests of Israel. Talk of the "surge," troop drawdown, etc., are nonsense, because the U.S. plans to occupy permanent bases and control the remaining oil reserves in the region. These wars are being paid for by sale of Treasury bonds to possible future adversaries such as China, while the U.S. bubble economy that is backing up our military forces overseas is deflating. Clearly something has to give, either through exhaustion of our military capability abroad, economic collapse at home, or the catastrophe of a world war. The denouement seems to be drawing closer as foreign governments dump their U.S. dollars which are declining in value due to the twin trade and fiscal deficits. What our leaders should now be doing is recognize the fact that we live in a multilateral world where conflicts can only be resolved by nations acting as equals under the umbrella of the U.N.

So many mistakes have been made over the last several decades that it is difficult to see how real change could take place without a revolutionary transformation of American society. Those who worked for change in the 1960s through opposition to the Vietnam War hoped for such a transformation, but the opposite has happened.

The cause has been the assertion of influence by the corporate-financial-government elites, who have essentially negated the ability of the people through their elected representatives to manage affairs for the sake of the general welfare as stated in the preamble to our Constitution.

The government under the leadership of both political parties has even violated some of its basic constitutional mandates.

Congress, for instance, has failed to exercise its duties with respect to oversight and control of the monetary system, having ceded its authority to the private banking industry through the Federal Reserve Act of 1913. Congress has also failed to provide effective regulation of the financial industry under the interstate commerce clause of Article One, as the subprime mortgage debacle and other abuses have clearly demonstrated.

The government as a whole has failed to provide for equal protection of the laws as specified in the Fourteenth Amendment by allowing so much of the wealth of the nation to be transferred to the upper income brackets who manipulate the corporate and financial systems to their advantage. It could also be argued that the passivity of the government in standing by while millions of people have lost their homes, jobs, or pensions due to fraudulent financial practices or speculative bubbles violates the Fifth Amendment provision which specifies that "no person shall be…deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law."

Finally, it could be argued that many of our economic and tax policies violate the Thirteenth Amendment which states that, "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

We’re used to interpreting the Thirteenth Amendment as applying only to chattel slavery, but economic servitude can be almost as onerous. Certainly the provision of the 2005 bankruptcy reform legislation which makes student loan debt and unpaid taxes a lifetime obligation, not subject to bankruptcy write-off, constitutes "involuntary servitude." So too may a cumulative tax burden where up to fifty percent of an individual’s income goes for taxes at the federal, state, and local levels.

It is obvious that the elite intend to make every effort to ride out the current crisis. This is what the so-called "soft landing" is about.

At the point in time when it may become possible to have real change, it can only be done effectively as it was accomplished during the New Deal—through control of credit as a public utility. This is because the causes of social distress are economic, and the economy is controlled through the monetary system. The essence of monetary policy is who controls credit and for what ends.

It would not be difficult to create programs, institutions, and systems to develop an updated New Deal to meet present conditions. The knowledge is there, as is the technology. What is lacking is political recognition and will. Today most individuals are passive spectators to the ongoing train wreck, and none of the leading presidential candidates is addressing basic policy issues. Ninety-five percent of what they are saying is media fluff.

As an example of what could be done, it would be possible immediately to place all pubic infrastructure programs within the U.S. under a funding mechanism whereby a federal infrastructure bank could be self-capitalized by special Treasury infrastructure bonds with lending at zero percent interest for a multitude of long-term projects.

A new money supply would thereby come into being that would completely by-pass the Federal Reserve System. This could be supplemented by a citizens’ basic income guarantee and a National Dividend, similar to the Alaska Permanent Fund, which would reduce poverty and inject purchasing power at the grassroots level. The denial of purchasing power except through more debt in a country where the wage and salary base has stagnated is an economic crime. One purpose is doubtless to create an impoverished underclass as a source of military recruitment.

Such measures would revolutionize local economies and restore the ability of the general population to participate in the economic life of the nation. But until enough people wake up to what is going on and the fact that they have the power within themselves to make a difference, nothing will change. They will continue to be fleeced by the rich and powerful as they have been throughout most of history.

Richard C. Cook is a retired federal analyst, whose career included service with the U.S. Civil Service Commission, the Food and Drug Administration, the Carter White House, and NASA, followed by twenty-one years with the U.S. Treasury Department. His articles on monetary reform, economics, and space policy have appeared on Global Research, Economy in Crisis, Dissident Voice, Atlantic Free Press, and elsewhere. He is the author of "Challenger Revealed: An Insider’s Account of How the Reagan Administration Caused the Greatest Tragedy of the Space Age." His website is at Richard C. Cook: Challenger Revealed.

Economic Crisis: The U.S. Political Leadership Has Failed

A 2007 article.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

The Failed Expectations of U.S Trade Policy

Robert Cassidy | June 4, 2008

Editor: John Feffer

Email this page to a friend

Comment on this article
        Foreign Policy In Focus
        Foreign Policy in Focus - A Think Tank Without Walls

As the principal negotiator for the landmark market access agreement that led to China’s accession to the World Trade Organization (WTO), I have reflected on whether the agreements we negotiated really lived up to our expectations. A sober reflection has led me to conclude that those trade agreements did not.

We failed to address the underlying fundamental market distortions that skew the benefits toward the few while leaving the rest of the economy less well off. As George Soros, in a Bloomberg News interview on the financial crisis, recently said, “…the system, as it currently operates, is built on false premises.” The premise on which our trade agreements are negotiated is at best flawed, if not broken.

The next administration has to take a hard look at the trade agreements currently on the table – especially with South Korea – and ask: who benefits? The answers should lead to a fundamental reassessment of what needs to be included in those trade agreements so that the benefits flow to broader and more equitable segments of the economy.
        Failed Expectations

China’s agreement to enter the WTO is a perfect example of failed expectations. In order to join the WTO, China made unilateral concessions to reduce and, in some cases, eliminate barriers to entry for U.S. goods and services. While no one claimed that the bilateral deficit would be reduced, claims were made that U.S. exports of goods to China would increase thus creating jobs in the higher paying export sector.

U.S. exports to China have increased and, as the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) often emphasizes, at a higher rate than to any other country. But such claims distort the real truth that exports grew faster because they grew from a very low level. In absolute terms, the increase in U.S. exports of goods to the EU was almost 70% greater than the increase in exports of goods to China and to Canada; the increase was 40% more than to China. Neither of those trading partners made any trade concessions to the United States during this period.

Conversely, on the U.S. import side, the United States made no concessions to China, yet U.S. imports from China were more than triple the pre-accession levels; to $321 billion in 2007, almost matching imports from the entire European Union. In contrast, increases in imports from Canada, our largest trading partner, rose by $82 billion and imports from the EU increased by $134 billion.
        Who Benefits?

The beneficiaries of the agreement with China fall into two groups: multinational companies that moved to China and the financial institutions that financed those investments, trade flows, and deficits. Foreign direct investment (FDI) in China accelerated at a time when such investment to other parts of Asia was declining and, in 2001, even matched FDI to the United States. Sourcing from China, whether from direct investment or through licensing arrangements, has allowed companies to cut costs and increase profits, as reflected in increased corporate profits and the surge in the U.S. stock market.

Conversely, it is doubtful that the U.S. economy or its workers are better off. U.S. manufacturing jobs declined by more than 2.5 million since China joined the WTO in 2001. While services jobs increased during this period, with the exception of telecommunications, non-tradable jobs accounted for the most significant portion of that increase. Wages have been stagnant and real disposable income for three-quarters of U.S. households has been stable or declining. Only the top quartile of families has seen significant increases in real disposable income.

The beneficiaries of these trade agreements try to divert attention by arguing that our trade in services has increased or that our competitiveness has declined. Those arguments are simply diversions because they don’t explain why our exports of goods to countries that made no concessions increased more than our exports to China, which made significant tariff and non-tariff concessions. Such arguments also fail to explain why our imports of goods from China increased more than our imports from other major trading partners. Is there any wonder that the people on Main Street think that trade agreements do not work?
        Broken Premises

Were this simply a problem with our bilateral trade relationship with China, policy makers could focus on resolving that dysfunctional relationship. However, the problem extends to nearly all trade agreements since they are based on the flawed premise that free trade benefits the economy. The premise is flawed and broken since free trade does not exist in a “free market” Petri dish where all other factors are neutral.

Using China as an example once again, proponents of the free trade model argue that China has a competitive advantage in wage rates that makes it ideal as the global manufacturing center that it has become. A closer examination, however, reveals that China has adopted an export-led development strategy, the centerpiece of which is a currency that is undervalued by 20-80%, with the consensus leaning toward 40%. Thus China’s wages, in U.S. dollar terms, are 40% cheaper than they would have been if the currency were allowed to freely float. Similarly, foreign investors receive a 40% subsidy to develop operations in China. To add insult to injury, our exports are taxed at an additional effective 40% rate.

While China has been appreciating its currency, it has a long way to go to bring it to equilibrium levels. In addition, China’s internal barriers to trade not only restrict U.S. exports, but also restrict China’s market to Chinese producers, thus reducing the size of the domestic economy. It's no wonder that, until the last few months, our imports from China continued to accelerate, jobs continued to move overseas, and our exports to China consisted primarily of raw materials. The weakened U.S. dollar has only recently had a positive impact on U.S imports. Europe, Canada, and other countries with freely floating exchange rates face comparable trends in their trade relationship with China.

Similar arguments can be made for our “free trade” agreements. For example, Canada fosters oligopolies and in some provinces, monopolies that restrict both foreign trade and internal trade. Like China, South Korea, which recently concluded its FTA with the United States, has notoriously undervalued its currency, as automakers will attest. In addition, most countries have value-added taxes that are rebated on their exports to the United States, while our exports receive no such treatment because our federal tax system relies on income and corporate taxes.

While these restrictive policies have little or no effect on our free trade agreements with many of the smaller economies, they do have a significant negative impact on our agreements with the larger economies. While focus has been placed on labor and environmental standards, until and unless we are able to also incorporate factors such as currency undervaluation and the lack of competition policy into our trade policy, the premise of “free trade” will fail to deliver its promises, whether delivered by Democrats, Republicans, or both.

With the current financial and recessionary crisis, many “traditionalist” thinkers will likely pull out the old premises, arguing to conclude the Doha Round and pass legislation enacting recently signed free trade agreements as a means of alleviating the crisis. Once again, multinational companies and financial institutions and their think tanks will lead the charge since they would be the primary beneficiaries. Before we blindly accept trade agreements that will simply result in lost jobs, the next administration needs to also comprehensively address the disparities in international monetary and competition policies that prevent our trade agreement from delivering the results that Main Street was promised and deserves.

Robert Cassidy, a contributor to Foreign Policy In Focus (Foreign Policy in Focus - A Think Tank Without Walls), is the former Assistant U.S. Trade Representative for Asia and for China and was the lead negotiator for China's 1999 Market Access Agreement that paved the way for China's accession to the WTO.
        Foreign Policy In Focus | The Failed Expectations of U.S Trade Policy
        I have tried to give all points of view.

Could someone explain what is up and where it will lead us to and more importantly, the third world!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

ray,

no problem with most of this, but this stood out:

And especially in light of two planes being flown into the World Trade Center that very morning, no interceptors were ever launched to check out this aircraft's behavior...? It simply does not make sense to me. I cannot see all of this happening without specific, high-level intervention.
          please don't post troofer crap here.
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
            Posting to understand the US more.

Everything has become confusing and so one wants answers to understand.

It could hit us.
            Sir,

The author is a moron. A quick Google of "bin Laden fatwa" will turn up hits that provide the declaration of war on the US by AQ (the #1 hit for "bin Laden CIA" turns up terrorism expert Peter Bergen debunking the CIA made AQ claim). A quick reading of the 9/11 commission report will explain how HUMINT was an Achilles Heel and that SIGINT's capabilities, while remarkable, were and are not enough. I stopped reading after these obvious flaws (and if she doesn't trust the government, aka, the 9/11 Commission, then where did she get the detailed flight path info? oops . . .).
            "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Another view.
              Sir,
              This article makes no sense to me. What is the point other than being written with a resounding lack of logic? Drilling for oil will make a big difference on the margin once this supply kicks in.
              "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

A 2007 article.
                Sir,
                More tin foil. The New Deal was NOT responsible for bringing the country out of the Great Depression. High interest rates do not cause inflation. The 80% loss in the dollar's value is a nominal value and not real value? Scare mongering at its lowest.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                  ray,

no problem with most of this, but this stood out:

please don't post troofer crap here.
                  That statement is not material.

I have posted a couple of articles so as to have a broader spectrum.

What I wanted to know is about what he writes about China, the economy et al.

What is troofer?
                  Last edited by Ray; 23 Sep 08,, 05:05.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I have tried to give all points of view.

Could someone explain what is up and where it will lead us to and more importantly, the third world!
                    Sir,
                    His assertion that trade with China has only helped the rich is laughable. Walmart and Target have done more to raise the standard of living among the "poor" in the United States (remember that poor is a relative term - while there are some true cases of being poor in America, many of those in poverty are trying to make ends meet because they have to pay internet/phone/cell/DirecTV/XM bills each month and can't eat out but 1-2 times a month) than any amount of manufacturing jobs could even hope to bring.

Freer trade can lift tens of millions more people out of poverty through the ability to create wealth. In some cases, this trade must be opened in a managed manner so that the transition costs don't outweigh the long-term benefits, so there is a sense of timing required. However, we can look at North Korea to see how successful a policy of no trade is:

Comment

ray,

What is troofer?
                      Urban Dictionary: troofer

if someone writes such vile lies and crap as that, you can disregard it as a serious source of knowledge.
                      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                      X