Could genocide happen again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Khan_Han View Post
    It is an implied term, stipulated under the provision regarding the population exchange between Greece and Turkey (which excluded the Turks of Western Thrace). All jurists acknowledge this.
    http://www.tesev.org.tr/eng/events/halki_sem.pdf

The TESEV report disagrees with this reciprocity argument.

Moreover, the Lausanne treaty refers to the covnention of 30 Jan 1923 convention. The Convention provides nothing in reference to reciprocity in the maintenance of religious institutions.

Please provide proof of jurists acknowledging that there is an implied reciprocity in the Lausanne Agreement in terms of any other issue that exchange of population, and settlement of debts.

Comment

N.B. How many mosques have received Government grants in these countries? Or how many synagogues have received Government funding in these countries? Very little if not none!

So I believe that Turkey is more catering than some thought.
      Thos countries you have listed are not obliged, by their code of laws, to provide proportional funding religious institutions in their territories. Turkey however, is obliged to do so, by its own laws.

Apples and oranges.

Comment

• Khan Han Reply

I noted your examples-

A restoration project in Virginia City, Nv. funded by the Nat'l Parks Service; a secular marriage counseling service; and an after-school daycare for at-risk children in Cleveland's ghetto. That's typical federal piggy-backing on viable locally-based social programs. An efficient use of public funding for a secular cause. Hardly funding directed into the coffers of one church or another.
        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Originally posted by S-2 View Post
          I noted your examples-

A restoration project in Virginia City, Nv. funded by the Nat'l Parks Service; a secular marriage counseling service; and an after-school daycare for at-risk children in Cleveland's ghetto. That's typical federal piggy-backing on viable locally-based social programs. An efficient use of public funding for a secular cause. Hardly funding directed into the coffers of one church or another.
          What about the others?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ucar View Post
            Thos countries you have listed are not obliged, by their code of laws, to provide proportional funding religious institutions in their territories. Turkey however, is obliged to do so, by its own laws.

Apples and oranges.
            The Turks go by supply and demand.

All my posts above are to counter the argument that the Turkish government leans more towards Islam. It simply doesn't! The Turkish people are very religiously tolerent and respectful of all religions, not just Islam. Full Stop. I think this discussion is over!

N.B. I also acknowledge that like all countries there may be discreptencies and mishaps there and here. But there is no intentional stance against members belonging to other faiths in Turkey. I will always stauchly reject such assertion.

Comment

The Turks go by supply and demand.

All my posts above are to counter the argument that the Turkish government leans more towards Islam. It simply doesn't! The Turkish people are very religiously tolerent and respectful of all religions, not just Islam. Full Stop. I think this discussion is over!

N.B. I also acknowledge that like all countries there may be discreptencies and mishaps there and here. But there is no intentional stance against members belonging to other faiths in Turkey. I will always stauchly reject such assertion.
              We have on the other hand, seen statistical data, that Turkish Universities do not offer equal educational opportunities to members of any religion other than Islam. Moreover, Turkish practices especially against religious training facilities (Halki Semetary) were found to be very objectionable, especially on legal grounds (reciprocity argument).

I have said nothing, and have nothing adverse to say, about Turkish religious tolerance, and respect to other religions in citizens every day lives. We have argued about state policies and applications.

Since you have decided to stop this discussion on your part, I will not pursue it further either. We have all learned much, as far as I am concerned.

Comment

• gentlemen,

i believe the roots of this limited approach of Turkish Govt. to the other religions schools and other institutions are going deep to the ww1 and Turkish War of Independence...

people also are sensitive about this issue knowing that in the past many of these institutions are used as espionage centers and ammo depots against us(not all of course)... am i wrong?
                Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Working...
                X