X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray View Post
    Becomes a threat in being!
    A big 'maybe' on that one sir.

If the Russian Navy was able to put to sea on a regular basis without having it's vessals blow up or break down, then they'd definitely have the makings of a fleet in being.

This Latin America adventure will go a good ways toward proving that, one way or another.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Lets be a little realistic here. The Ruskies have provided substantial budget increases for their armed forces. Modernization programs have been increasing, and I doubt the Russians will take any uncalculated risks that would mirror an event like the Kursk and tank their image after their Georgia success.

With their new found pride, look for the Russians to showcase what they have (which I agree is not much), but to continue to bolster their image with new equipment.

Comment

could it be used to go back to more cordial relations with Russians? For example USN offering free salvage ships for the Russians?

S-2 & Zraver - you forgot Hamas
        If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

I do not understand what is the reason to worry for the Americans. Russian officials don't react so hysterically as the US ones every time when the US ships appear close to Russia. I think the Americans should stop viewing the world out of a bomb shelter.

Comment

A possible theory is that the Russians will sell or lease the flotilla to Chavez on arrival, and fly the bulk of the crews home. A little far fetched, but not impossible... I can't recall the names of two German heavies passed on to the Turks that way during WWI, but that was the example that popped into my head

Comment

Originally posted by sourkraut115 View Post
              A possible theory is that the Russians will sell or lease the flotilla to Chavez on arrival, and fly the bulk of the crews home. A little far fetched, but not impossible... I can\'t recall the names of two German heavies passed on to the Turks that way during WWI, but that was the example that popped into my head
              Very unlikely indeed

Comment

Originally posted by MrFirst View Post
                I do not understand what is the reason to worry for the Americans. Russian officials don't react so hysterically as the US ones every time when the US ships appear close to Russia.
                Uh, you haven't been reading the news lately? The Russians are furious that A.) the Americans are delivering aid to Georgia and B.)Doubly furious that they're doing it using warships.

A possible theory is that the Russians will sell or lease the flotilla to Chavez on arrival, and fly the bulk of the crews home. A little far fetched, but not impossible..
                I'm going to call that one impossible, if only due to the fact that the flotilla is being centered around an irreplaceable and incalculably valuable Russian national asset.

Besides, the chances of the Venezuelan Navy having the crew, both in numbers and expertise, and/or the budget to run a warship the scale of the Pyotr Velikiy is non-existent.
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

If Russia really wanted to upset the balance of power, just send over a few dozens different SAM systems, at a "sale". LOL. That would put a wrinkle in Uncle Sam.
                  sigpic

Comment

In the unlikely event that I am right, I suspect there would still be lot of guys in the crew named Ivan and Sergei, who were suddenly volunteers in the Venezuelan Navy. And I don't think the Russians would be giving the equipment up forever...just keeping it where it might be of better use. Any transfer of "ownership" would be purely symbolic. Again, I don't find it likely by any means...

Comment

In the unlikely event that I am right, I suspect there would still be lot of guys in the crew named Ivan and Sergei, who were suddenly volunteers in the Venezuelan Navy. And I don't think the Russians would be giving the equipment up forever...just keeping it where it might be of better use. Any transfer of "ownership" would be purely symbolic. Again, I don't find it likely by any means...
                      Actually, I'm sure that you're right, though in a different way.

The Venezuelan Navy's main combatants are Italian in origin, but I'm sure that Hugo is considering - and Russians are wholeheartedly encouraging - modernizing his navy with Russian-built frigates or destroyers...and part of the purpose of this flotilla visit is "Here's a sample/look-see at what we can sell or build for you"

(Let's the hope that Hugo doesn't talk to any Indian Navy officers though)

Comment

One does not have to move fleets to become a threat in being.

Having bases in areas of strategic interest is adequate to be a threat in being.

One can understand the same as is signatured by the Chinese strategy of "String of Pearls". They don't have a blue water navy!

Ever since, the US Navy has been holding whole lot of exercises, including nuclear powered ships, in the Indian Ocean, Bay of Bengal to include the Straits.

Indian Navy is working very closely with the US Navy and with the US India nuclear deal, it sure means that something, at least till the next elections! If the right wing Hindu BJP comes to power, it (the US India cosiness) will become more strong.
                        Last edited by Ray; 10 Sep 08,, 02:21.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                          One does not have to move fleets to become a threat in being.
                          Quite true.

One simply has to exist, or convincingly perceive to exist.

Not unlike a minefield. How many mines do you need to make a minefield?

None, you simply need a press release.

The difficulty with the Russians is both perception and reality: Right now, both are that the Russian Navy can't or shouldn't really leave port for fear of breakdown or disaster.

This expedition should prove quite enlightening. The Russians could surprise a lot of people and gain quite a bit of political and PR currency.

Comment

Wonder how many times this flag will fly?
                            Attached Files

Comment

G.G. Reply

Well, if near Maracaibo, there should be an oil tug or two. Doubt it's a job for the Venezuelan Navy.
                              "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Better hope she even makes port.:)) Fido has been silent for some time now. Perhaps this should coax his mouth out of the rat hole.:)
                                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                                X