Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Vanishing Republican Voter

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/ma...agewanted=1&em

a very interesting analysis by david frum. why are wealthier americans trending Democrat in ever-increasing numbers?
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by astralis View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/ma...agewanted=1&em

a very interesting analysis by david frum. why are wealthier americans trending Democrat in ever-increasing numbers?
    Not just the wealthy. My folks (farmer, teacher) have been life-long Republicans and switched to the Democratic party in 2004. My father loathes the liberal wing of the Democrats, but after Bush, can't bring himself to vote GOP any longer, so he says.

I always found it ironic that my dad said my whole life, "The rich get richer", but always voted Republican. They have a 8x10 foot banner in our front yard now supporting the Dem candidate for congress. A literal 360 from ten years ago.
    America doesn't deserve its military

-Emma Sky

Comment

I'm aware that people with graduate and postgraduate degrees have been predominantly Democrat for quite some time... a large number of highly educated bureaucrats voting Democratic... nothing new.
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by osage18 View Post
        A literal 360 from ten years ago.
        I was always pretty poor at math but I always did pretty well in geometry.

I think you mean a complete 180. A 360 would mean to go full circle...a 180 is to go in the opposite direction.:))
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

Precision

Grunts...

Osage, it's 3200 mils, dude. THAT's THAT.

Disgusting...(mumble, mumble)
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            I was always pretty poor at math but I always did pretty well in geometry.

I think you mean a complete 180. A 360 would mean to go full circle...a 180 is to go in the opposite direction.:))
            Touche' Sir. I'm all ****ed up...too much coffee.

-Emma Sky

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
              Grunts...

Deuce,
              You will be further disgusted to know that I am an Artillery Officer...blame it on the GWOT and the lack of emphasis on maintaining Field Artillery Proficiency! Wow!

-Emma Sky

Comment

Originally posted by osage18 View Post
                Deuce,
                You will be further disgusted to know that I am an Artillery Officer...blame it on the GWOT and the lack of emphasis on maintaining Field Artillery Proficiency! Wow!

Say it aint so:(

Just what the heck are they teaching these young ones on aiming circle hill

And before you grunts screw it up and pronounce it 3 thousand 200 mills
                or 32 hundred mills the proper way to pronounce it is either

Three, two hundred in mixed company or
                three two zero zero among professionals

Originally posted by Osage
                Touche' Sir. I'm all ****ed up...too much coffee.
                Osage, there is no such animal.

I'm so wound up, I think I will break out my 6-40 and do a little light reading to calm the nerves.
                Last edited by Gun Grape; 08 Sep 08,, 23:24.

Comment

osage18 Reply

"You will be further disgusted to know that I am an Artillery Officer"

Beyond disgust.

Just let me know when you head downrange to shoot big bullets so I can personally clear the A.O.
                  "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

"You will be further disgusted to know that I am an Artillery Officer"

Beyond disgust.

Just let me know when you head downrange to shoot big bullets so I can personally clear the A.O.
                    He must be one of those ARMY artillery officers

Comment

Army Artillery

We'll find enough straight shooters to blow the puny navy-army outta the bathtub...

somewhere...grrrrr...;)

FM 6-40? I'm having a glass of bourbon and I'm gonna go RUMINATE on this sad state of affairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                        I'm so wound up, I think I will break out my 6-40 and do a little light reading to calm the nerves.
                        I havent opened the 6-40 or whatever it's called now for 5 years.

-Emma Sky

Comment

ironduke,

I'm aware that people with graduate and postgraduate degrees have been predominantly Democrat for quite some time... a large number of highly educated bureaucrats voting Democratic... nothing new.
                          the issue extends past that of "highly educated bureaucrats"-- if that were the case, the republicans would have nothing to worry about. the article would seem to indicate, though, that as people get more educated, they tend to start trending democratic. now that's a problem, especially as more and more people become wealthier.

i believe part of the reason which the article just touches on lightly is the idea that as people become more educated/wealthier, they tend to become less socially conservative. the republicans might be able to renew this by moving towards a more libertarian goldwater republicanism.

also, as much as reagan is hallowed by republicans today, republicans will probably have to acknowledge that there are limits to reaganism. decrying government waste has its virtues, but take that too far and that becomes a general scorn for government. that's not a good thing when the goal should be a small, smart government staffed by the best and the brightest- not a bunch of clockpunchers.
                          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

S2, Gg & Osage

Grunts...

Precision? Do you mean he is precisely F***ed up?

And as for mils or degrees...I WAS going to say 6 O Clock position vice the 12 O Clock position...but I figured you Red Legs couldn't get your arms around that concept since you all have digital watches.
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

A.R. Reply

"Precision? Do you mean he is precisely F***ed up?"

Shaddup, Major! We're busy casting out one of our own...

Painful and embarassing. Must keep in mind that they also serve who don't man the guns.

"...you all have digital watches."

Nope. Five watches- Seiko, Bulova, Oleg Cassini, Omega, and Hamilton. All spring-wind. None digital. The only one I'll wear is the Hamilton. 1947 retirement watch from Standard of California to my grand-dad.

Comment

Working...
                              X