This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bluesman
    I know the Board's admin, and I know his tolerance is, if anything, lower than mine for that stuff.
    Merely the junior Admin, one of two. Also merely one of several staff members that make this place run so smoothly :)

Originally posted by Bluesman
    Commit that particular sin, and he'll excommunicate you and kill you like the bad-ass Pope that I know him to be. You won't even get a warning.
    Let's just say my level of tolerance for that particular line of crap is pretty much nil
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

If I might add something to this classic- Read more than you post. A lot more. Especially when you're starting out, it helps to just observe for a while, get to know different members' styles. This can prevent a lot of misunderstanding and embarrassment. Also, much of the time, if you wait a bit before posting, you'll either discover that someone else says the same thing, only much more eloquently, or you'll realize that what you wanted to say is just dumb. I speak from much personal experience on this last one.
      I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
        If I might add something to this classic- Read more than you post. A lot more. Especially when you're starting out, it helps to just observe for a while, get to know different members' styles. This can prevent a lot of misunderstanding and embarrassment. Also, much of the time, if you wait a bit before posting, you'll either discover that someone else says the same thing, only much more eloquently, or you'll realize that what you wanted to say is just dumb. I speak from much personal experience on this last one.
        That one's going into it :)
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Commit that particular sin, and he'll excommunicate you and kill you like the bad-ass Pope that I know him to be.
          Romulus and Remus didn't see this bad a$4 comin'

Comment

I think another thing that has to be outlined clearly is that not only is this place not a Democracy, it isnt some completelly egalitarian group love hippy commune either.

Yes the member with 1000 posts plus can often joke and talk shite and crack one liners with the other regulars... and eventually if you stay on and build frienships and earn respect then you will earn that right too.

Not to say to keep everything 100% serious, we are all here after all for fun but i would strongly consider limiting the irrelevant one liners, unless of course in the WAB pub where you can feel free to spew forth as much shite as you like... as long as it doesnt break any of the other rules.

Oh and if the Officer of Engineers is having one of his random discussions with Xinhui about something as invigorating as the hull number of a particular disused Chinese support vessel with an unpronouncable name it would be wise to keep out of those discussions unless you are an expert on disused Chinese support vessels with unpronouncable names. Ive seen a couple of newbies get their heads ripped off wading in with their own 2c, not recommended at all.
            The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
              That one's going into it :)
              +1 good call and welcome to the Guide Armchair!

Comment

Originally posted by zraver
                +1 good call and welcome to the Guide Armchair!
                Danke. I'm part of a sticky, yay! Such an honor.

Originally posted by pate
                Is this thread locked back up? I'd like to formally call out this 'Bluesman' and hear his repretoire...
                Dude, I hope you've already got the liver donor lined up...
                I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                  Oh, and #10:

I am kinda the self-appointed agent provocateur here, and I like to jump all over the n00bz, just to see how they handle themselves. Some freak out and slash-'n'-burn back, which gets a few of 'em a dis-invitation to the Klubhouse. But if you can stand up to it AND come off lookin' sane, you've got some insta-cred.

Either way...you're welcome. I do it because I'm a giver.
                  I expect an inquisition.

Comment

I've closed this thread not for any wrongdoing but because it was getting some peculiar spambot attention. I'll open it again at a later date, in the meantime if anyone wants something added to it just let me know....
                    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                    X