Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S., South Korea to discuss North's nuclear restart

U.S., South Korea to discuss North's nuclear restart

SEOUL (Reuters) - Nuclear envoys from South Korea and the United States will meet in Beijing on Thursday to discuss North Korea's moves to restart an ageing nuclear plant that makes arms-grade plutonium, South Korean media said.

North Korea has taken out of storage some mothballed equipment at its Soviet-era nuclear complex in what appeared to be a sign of displeasure over sputtering six-way talks on ending its atomic programs, U.S. officials said on Wednesday.

South Korea's Foreign Ministry late on Wednesday confirmed the North had taken steps to rebuild its Yongbyon nuclear plant and expressed regret over the move.

Last November, North Korea starting taking apart the nuclear plant as a part of a disarmament-for-aid deal. Most of the disablement work has been completed and experts said it would take a year or more for the North to restart Yongbyon.

South Korean nuclear envoy Kim Sook will meet U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill in Beijing on Thursday afternoon, South Korean media quoted a senior Foreign Ministry official as saying. The ministry would not confirm the report.

China has hosted the six-country nuclear talks on ending the atomic ambitions of North Korea, which conducted its first nuclear test about two years ago.

U.S. officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said they viewed North Korea's moves more as a negotiating tactic than genuine effort to rebuild Yongbyon, which proliferation experts believe has produced enough plutonium for six to eight bombs.

A U.S. counter-proliferation official said Washington had seen evidence that some parts had been moved back to their original Yongbyon site but described this as "mostly symbolic, mostly done for effect in response to the negotiations".

"It's a step designed to show that they can take more steps if they want to," said the official. "It doesn't mean that it's not real. It doesn't mean that it's not dangerous. But people shouldn't read too much into it."

North Korea announced on August 26 it would stop disabling the Yongbyon nuclear complex and accused the United States of violating the denuclearization deal negotiated by the two Koreas, China, Japan, Russia and the United States.

Pyongyang said the move was a response to Washington's failure to drop it from the U.S. state sponsors of terrorism list. The United States said North Korea must first agree on a system to verify Pyongyang's disclosures about its nuclear programs.
    sigpic

If USA plans to attack Iran in the next few months, DPRK will surely stir up some trouble to sabotage it and distract the attention of USA from the Iranian strike.

So USA will have to make a good deal with DPRK now if it wants to keep DPRK quiet when USA is attacking Iran.

DPRK is always up to this type of tactics, they did the same in Oct 2002, take advantage of USA's coming war against Iraq to instigate a nuclear crisis so as to bring USA to the bargaining table.

Same old bag of tricks there by Kim Jong Il.

Oct. 16, 2002
    Bush Signs Resolution Authorizing U.S. Force Against Saddam

Oct. 17, 2002
    Rumsfeld: U.S. Plans to Consult Allies on North Korean Nuke Violations

Aug 30 2008
    Dutch Spies Recalled From Iran Due to 'Imminent' U.S. Attack

Sep 4, 2008
    North Korea begins to rebuild reactor

Can't use the same trick twice Kim Jong Il.

USA won't be silly enough to bite it again.

Stop taking advantage of USA's middle east wars to blackmail USA Kim Jong Il!

Can't we have a nice USA war in the middle east without a north korea messing up things with its nukes at the same time for once?
    Last edited by Bankotsu; 04 Sep 08,, 05:33.

Comment

It's just a plot to get em to remove DPRK from the terrorism-supporting entity list... and also let them keep the nukes that they already have,..

Comment

If USA plans to attack Iran in the next few months,

Where in heaven's name do you get the idea we would do this?

If anyone is on the short fuze for this it would be Israel, not the US.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
          [B]If anyone is on the short fuze for this it would be Israel, not the US.
          If Israel starts it..US will be dragged into it inevitably..

Comment

Good, please one US nuclear sub launching cruise missiles straight to the house of the "great leader" and his followers.

Why does this nation still exist on the map?

Comment

Originally posted by kuku View Post
              Good, please one US nuclear sub launching cruise missiles straight to the house of the "great leader" and his followers.

In order to have check and balance like in government or it is also the same as good vs bad depending on whose side are you..
              sigpic

Comment

What I don't like about DPRK is that they like to spoil the show by making trouble for USA whenever USA is busy making wars in middle east.

USA about to attack Iraq in 2003, DPRK must butt in and instigate nuclear crisis to take advantage of the situation.

USA and Russia relations now tense over Georgian issue and rumours of USA attacking Iran flying around on the web, DPRK once again must butt in and restart nuclear program.

All these is very distracting for me.

I like to concentrate on only one crisis at a time, not one crisis in Georgia, another one in Iran and DPRK must take advantage and stir up another one.

March 4 2003

North Korean jets harry US spy plane

March 20, 2003
                USA begins war against Iraq

Above is another example of DPRK trying to provoke USA on the eve of the invasion of Iraq.

Too bad USA was busy at attacking Iraq and didn't want to make rash moves against DPRK.

If USA was not planning to strike Iraq, I don't think DPRK would dare to provoke USA by intercepting their spy plane.

Luckily USA started wargames in south korea in March 2003 so as to send a warning to Kim Jong Il not to make rash moves against south korea, thinking that USA is busy with attacking Iraq and have no time to bother with south korea.

USA, S.Korea Simulate War with 'Opfor' North
                March 16, 2003
                Last edited by Bankotsu; 05 Sep 08,, 09:35.

Comment

Jeezus

Where is a Mod when you need one!
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Mostly because we keep sending them food. I say the UN and all other orginizations stop shipping aid to N. Korea.

Comment

Originally posted by CGXC runner View Post
                      Mostly because we keep sending them food. I say the UN and all other orginizations stop shipping aid to N. Korea.
                      We have care for the people of NK as we have to care for all those around us.

For the greed of a few a whole nation is suffering, if there was ever a just cause for war, i suppose this will be one.

Even though no one has the high ground in these things, however if what the international media is reporting is true i am ashamed to live in a world where all this is happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                        Where is a Mod when you need one!
                        Sorry, been busy.
                        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

For the greed of a few a whole nation is suffering, if there was ever a just cause for war, i suppose this will be one.

Even though no one has the high ground in these things, however if what the international media is reporting is true i am ashamed to live in a world where all this is happening.

Starving a nation into submission I reckon is an honourable political tool!

Geopolitical and geostrategic reasons at times defy logic as far as common people are concerned.

I reckon you starve a million to save a billion is the moral equation!
                          Last edited by Ray; 06 Sep 08,, 09:43.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

All we accomplish by sending them aid is allowing them to spend money buying weapons instead of food for their starving people. If they can buy nuclear technology they should have enough money for food.

Comment

Originally posted by CGXC runner View Post
                              The two countries that keep sending them food, China and South Korea, are the ones who don't want North Koreans in their country.

Comment

Working...
                              X