Garand anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garand anyone?

Iam looking to buy a Garand in excellent shape, anyone know a reliable source for a Garand I have found several online sites where I can buy one just need to know a dependable seller if you know one please let me know.

Personally, I would look around locally first. I prefer seeing and handling the firearm in person instead of buying it online, especially if I'm going to be using it. Look around for local gun collectors/owners who might have one up for sale. I doubt your local firearms shop will have one, but it 's worth checking out anyways. As for online, I can't help you much there. All of the small arms I've purchased (Wehrmacht small arms at that, so I have even less qualification for the M1) have been through local sources. There are a few who own one here though, so they'd probably be able to direct you in a better direction. :/ Sorry about the lack of help.

Comment

I bought mine from a local shop a few years back. The stock was in bad shape. The receiver and barrel were brand new manufacture (so no collector's value). But it was a fine shooter. Hand loaded match grade ammo can hit sub 1 moa. Not by me though. My friend who's an avid reloader and shooter did that.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Got to be REAL careful about manufacture. The absolute WORST ever made were rough cast in Costa Mesa, California. I wouldn't even trust one to fire a blank.

Beretta made Garands are actually very good and the BM-59 was evolved from them.

I have two Garands, one is pre-war by Springfield and the other is post-war by Harrington & Richardson.

When I was buying military guns years ago, I was too cheap to buy an M-1D sniper Garand from a gun shop on Washington Blvd. I think it was only --- oh, never mind. It would just cause tears in the eyes.

Actually, the real reason I didn't buy it because the gun club I belonged to usually had "iron sight" matches only, no telescopic sites.

Funny thing about the Springfield Garand I did buy though. There's an NM stamped on the barrel. I thought only Winchester made those. I wonder if the $95.00 I spent on it was worth it.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Rusty Battleship Reply

"I wonder if the $95.00 I spent on it was worth it."

A small price to salute the finest battle implement ever carried to war by any infantryman anywhere.;)
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

What do you think about the commemorative garands like Iowa Jima ect are they any good?

Comment

Originally posted by BudW View Post
              Iam looking to buy a Garand in excellent shape, anyone know a reliable source for a Garand I have found several online sites where I can buy one just need to know a dependable seller if you know one please let me know.
              Saying "I am looking to buy a Garand" is a lot like saying "I am looking to buy a pickup truck." OK, but do you want to haul bark mulch or win a trophy at Cruise Night?

Seriously, what do you want in your Garand (do you have a preference for model, age, manufacturer, etc.), and what will you use it for? The answers will help determine what is a good rifle for you.

Comment

Originally posted by GraniteForge View Post
                Saying "I am looking to buy a Garand" is a lot like saying "I am looking to buy a pickup truck." OK, but do you want to haul bark mulch or win a trophy at Cruise Night?

Seriously, what do you want in your Garand (do you have a preference for model, age, manufacturer, etc.), and what will you use it for? The answers will help determine what is a good rifle for you.

I want a shooter I can go out and shoot thats in good shape,will be good for years to come, as long as the manfacturer is true to the original iam ok with with that,Springfield would be first choice of course.

Comment

Go to odcmp.com and buy one for $495.00 Mine just came in yesterday. Great rifle, Made in 1944, with a 1954 barrel, it has a new stock and looks new. The Civilian Marksmanship Program has been around for 40-50 years and is the best source for M1 rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by poprivit View Post
                    Go to odcmp.com and buy one for $495.00 Mine just came in yesterday. Great rifle, Made in 1944, with a 1954 barrel, it has a new stock and looks new. The Civilian Marksmanship Program has been around for 40-50 years and is the best source for M1 rifles.
                    Yes, I got my H&R built Garand through them for only $125.00 some years back.

Most of them will have been reworked at an arsenal, usually Rock Island. So there may be some mixed parts. My H&R Garand only had a Springfield bolt which I easily replaced with an H&R bolt bought at a gun show.

As I said earlier stay FAR AWAY from the Garands made in Costa Mesa, California. That town is infamous for firearm copies, Saturday Night Specials, clandestine machineguns, etc. The Garand and 03 Springfield I saw on sale at GEMCO store many years ago looked like the receivers were sand casting with a very coarse grain of sand.

After the US stopped making Garands in favor of the M-14, Beretta of Italy made them under license. They are actually well made so don't be embarrased of getting one. Winchester was the main source of producing Match grade Garands but others were also.

Comment

What do I have to do to obtain one? In addition to paying money of course.
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                        What do I have to do to obtain one? In addition to paying money of course.
                        Make contact with a local firearms dealer (or a friend who has a Federal Fireaarms License) to have the rifle shipped to you.

For example, I have a friend down in Oceanside that has a license and he will handle the sales of all my guns (except family heirlooms) after I go to -- wherever it is you go.

Comment

[QUOTE=poprivit;541396]Go to odcmp.com and buy one for $495.00 Mine just came in yesterday. Great rifle, Made in 1944, with a 1954 barrel, it has a new stock and looks new. The Civilian Marksmanship Program has been around for 40-50 years and is the best source for M1 rifles.[/QUOTE

I went to the site and did a search I only see parts for a garand not a complete gun?

Comment

[QUOTE=BudW;541483]
                            Go to odcmp.com and buy one for $495.00 Mine just came in yesterday. Great rifle, Made in 1944, with a 1954 barrel, it has a new stock and looks new. The Civilian Marksmanship Program has been around for 40-50 years and is the best source for M1 rifles.[/QUOTE

I went to the site and did a search I only see parts for a garand not a complete gun?
                            Here you go. They range in price from $445 to $3,500, although most of the most expensive ones are sold out until next year.

M1 Garand Sales

Comment

[QUOTE=GraniteForge;541496]
                              Originally posted by BudW View Post

Here you go. They range in price from $445 to $3,500, although most of the most expensive ones are sold out until next year.

M1 Garand Sales

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!! also could you or anyone look at this guys Garands and tell me what you think Issue Grade Shooters anyone know the guy?
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X