Power Projection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yeung3939 View Post
    However, what can a single carrier group do? You talked about putting boots on the ground and air strike capability. I don't think a single carrier group can do much either. A single carrier group only has 48-60 fighters/strikers.......
    A single carrier group can win a war. Take your Taiwan scenario. That carrier group can sink the PLA invasion force before it leaves port.

Also, to have force projection, you must train for force projection. At the very least, the PLAAF should learn how to fly over water without any visible landmarks.

Comment

well.. if you consider a submarine armed with nuclear tipped missiles "power projection" both Britian and France have that.. if it's a surface force, no one can touch the US Navy..

Comment

Of course, China and India both can't project much power to let's say Middle East.

But China can probably project more power to Taiwan than a US Carrier group.
        You need stop drinking the Chinese Cool-Aid.

Comment

Of course there's no contest that the US is the only true power capable of projecting power all around the world. No other member of the SC can match their capabilities except on the regional level.

And about these powers, with the exception of China and maybe Russia even this modicum of projection is dwindling. In a few years it's becoming increasingly clear that, as independent powers, UK and France will be irrelevant and very questionnable members of the Council. And completely optional for the US.

To spend more on the national level is not the answer, since no European country can fund in the same time the necessary technological researches, the military bases, provide the soldiers and the gears, build the aircrafts and vessels for the power projection, etc...

As long as the Europeans don't understand that they need to europeanize their defence there's no future for them. And sticking to the US and being overly dependent on them like the UK has done since the 50's and 60's to maintain a facade of equal partnership and great power is not a reliable policy even for the English. the last war in Iraq proved that being the US' most loyal ally do not guarantee a say in the operations. In a sense the Brits appeared more like allies, but the Roman way.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigeranger View Post
            You need stop drinking the Chinese Cool-Aid.
            Still, there are ballistic/cruise missiles and MLRS.

I am not arguing China can win the war. Instead, I just said China as a country can project more 'power' to Taiwan than a single US carrier group.

Comment

Still, there are ballistic/cruise missiles and MLRS.

I am not arguing China can win the war. Instead, I just said China as a country can project more 'power' to Taiwan than a single US carrier group.
              It depends on how you define power, I suppose. The PRC could shoot more explosives onto Taiwan, but that will be irrelevant in the long term.

Comment

i have but one question

wouldn't sending an aircraft carrier group into range of the world's largest air force armed with one of the world's largest inventory of ashm's be suicidal , i agree the united states would probably successfully oppose any invasion into Taiwan but at what cost??? i reckon a YJ-81 salvo would take out a few warships maybe even a carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by bengalraider View Post
                  i have but one question

wouldn't sending an aircraft carrier group into range of the world's largest air force armed with one of the world's largest inventory of ashm's be suicidal , i agree the united states would probably successfully oppose any invasion into Taiwan but at what cost??? i reckon a YJ-81 salvo would take out a few warships maybe even a carrier.
                  Makes me think too.

-Equalizer T-

Comment

Originally posted by bengalraider View Post
                    i have but one question

I will repeat. In order to hit a carrier, you have to find the carrier.,

Comment

When it comes to an invasion of Taiwan offcourse the US navy will have the advantage but the Chinese will eventually win it in a long run. They can project more power because it is in their own backyard. They have the manpower, they have paramilitairy forces, submarines. It will cost them alot, but the Chinese can take the punch.

Comment

Not enough boats to project the Chinese army, been said before.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                          I will repeat. In order to hit a carrier, you have to find the carrier.,
                          There is no question chinese navy is inaducate ,but Chinese can and will accept any casaulty rates any losses to reach victory.
                          One lucky sub.. and carrier is the next artificial reef for coral.

-Equalizer T-

Comment

At the cost of losing Taiwan forever. I don't care how much manpower the Chinese have. Without boats, the only thing they can do is to act fish bait. They sink a carrier and the entire Chinese military and merchant fleets are gone.

So good trade. One carrier for Taiwan. And I will guarantee you that Taiwan itself would become the replacement carrier.

Comment

At the cost of losing Taiwan forever. I don't care how much manpower the Chinese have. Without boats, the only thing they can do is to act fish bait. They sink a carrier and the entire Chinese military and merchant fleets are gone.

So good trade. One carrier for Taiwan. And I will guarantee you that Taiwan itself would become the replacement carrier.
                              uss taiwan
                              displacement-10000000 raised to infinity
                              crew-50mil
                              aircraft-too many to count
                              other weapons- too many to count again
                              speed -0.0knots
                              engine- all the taiwanese power plants together
                              one of the three unsinkable carriers in the world the others being
                              uss diego garcia
                              ins andaman and nicobar

though i doubt any chinese govt will be trying any invasion without being absolutely sure of victory,which is a very long shot

Comment

I do agree to some points you brought up but i do not think it will be just that easy.
                                Underestimating the chinese might be pretty dum move. (not saying you are dum just pointing underestimating might be)

-Equalizer T-

Comment

Working...
                                X