Canadian Federal Election 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Federal Election 2008

All the evidence points to a fall election. I am creating this thread so Canadians and our friends across the globe on WAB can discuss the possible up coming election.

Harper set to trigger election call next week: PMO officials

Interesting - surely he'll increase his mandate?

I'm quite interested in Canadian politics, and sure the Liberals hardly seem to be offering anything new or constructive, the NDP might pick up a few seats from them, but it's hard to see 'em breaking 35.

Bloc seems to be polling considerably less in Quebec than it was around the last election, with the federalist parties (especially the conservatives) making gains.

The Greens could potentially poll well, are there a couple of seats out there for them?

If Harper play's his cards right, he could come back with close to 150 - I don't think he'll quite get an overall majority though.
    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

I think that Harper realizes that now is his time..

Gas prices are not going down anytime, and with Gustav to swamp the gulf, you can bet your left nut that gas prices hear in N.America will only rise.

Dion has put all of his eggs into one basket, his Green Shift (carbon tax), if Gustav damages any oil rigs or refineries in the gulf, and prices go up. Who in there right mind will vote for a party that wants to raise gas prices even more!!

I can see Harper getting a majority government, for the first time in a LONG time, we will have a majority government in Ottawa.

Comment

Thank God it,s only 6 weeks of bullcrap.

Comment

Originally posted by Exarecr View Post
          Thank God it,s only 6 weeks of bullcrap.
          Exactly. I think ours has been going on since April 2007.

Why would Harper want to schedule his with the slightly bigger confab going on down South? Seems to me that his policy aims could be hindered by policy discussions that occur here and he could get hamstrung by issues not entirely in his control.

Comment

Oh boy I can't wait to give Harper a Majority!!

Dion is at his usual antics, apparently blaming Harper for the tainted sandwich meat debacle and claiming Harpers more right wing than John McCain!

He'll learn his lesson soon enough just from his carbon tax preposal, which will make his goal of being PM impossible. In all likelyhood he'll lose his leadership role too, no tears for him from me!
            Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Originally posted by rj1 View Post
              Exactly. I think ours has been going on since April 2007.

Why would Harper want to schedule his with the slightly bigger confab going on down South? Seems to me that his policy aims could be hindered by policy discussions that occur here and he could get hamstrung by issues not entirely in his control.
              I think Harper saw a strategic advantage for an election alongside an American one. Canada, has a lot of two types of people, lefties and non-voters.

So with the emergence of the green party turning to a lawyer to get itself onto the televised debates, further splitting the left vote between the liberals, and NDP.
              Alongside high gas prices making the Liberals Carbon Tax look ludicrous.
              As well as an American election blinding the non-voters. I think that Harper stands a good chance of getting a majority..

It is really shady, but Canada is a land of people who take there freedom to vote for granted.

Comment

Well this is rich

CTV.ca | Taliban says increase in attacks because of election

Comment

I guess it's a bit too brave of Dion to propose a new tax at election-time, even though his proposed carbon tax is supposed to be offset by reductions in the income tax. But I doubt whether most voters will care much about the details--"new tax" just isn't what anybody wants to hear. Still, I give Dion some credit for doing something most politicians never have the guts to do.

A lot will depend on whether the Conservatives can pick up more seats in Québec, as the Bloc Québecois has been eroding lately. That's going to decide whether Harper can get a majority.

Harper has now begun firmly emphasizing that Canada's Afghan War will end in 2011, so he's trying to reduce his profile as a hawk. This ties into broadening his appeal to Québec voters, who are usually anti-war.

Comment

Those liberal freaks scare me and the NDP terrorizes me. How does throwing money around really help resolve a problem? Liberals want to spend more money on a failed government department, the NDP want to throw more money on the automotive industry to protect jobs, I believe Stephen Harper too promised some money to Ford and today Ford announced a plant closure! Cut taxes and government spending is what I would like to hear.

Comment

Well, I'm sorry to say that none of the parties seem is adhering to a fiscally conservative policy.

Personally I'd like to see some debt reduction, since Canada has large unfunded pension and medical liabilities for its aging population. We do not want to be going into the next decade encumbered by our present substantial national debt. There should be no spending increases nor tax cuts until our debt is less than 25% of our GDP. A youthful population can afford a higher debt/GDP ratio, but this isn't the Canada of the 1970's or 80's.

Harper cut taxes and raised spending during 2006-08, so the small budget surpluses of recent years have more or less come to an end. Paul Martin, when he led the Liberals, was more careful in budget matters, but now old "Mr. Dithers" is gone and I don't yet know where Dion stands.

Our population has aged, but our politicians, whether left or right, still haven't grown up.

Comment

Cape..

Is it any coincidence that as the rest of the G-7 economies have been experiencing less than stellar times lately, and our American brethren south of the border have had the crap beaten out of them via the credit crunch.. The Canadian economy has coasted along through this global crisis unscathed?

I think that is something that voters should seriously look at.

I watched Harper's speech the other day. And if I was not already against the Liberals Carbon Tax, I sure would be by now.

Dion's carbon tax is just that, another tax. On top of every other tax we pay, and what benefit will it do?

Look at the cost of fuel right now! Yet, has consumption dropped?? How will Dion's carbon tax stop consumption? It will not! it will just be another cash cow, that politicians will become addicted to.

Just like the Income Tax, created to finance WW1.. it is still around today.

Harper's message is right, in today's volatile world, stability is needed. Not new tax's and huge spending promises.

Comment

You know what is really bugging me..

It seems that most Canadians I meet, are more interested in the American Election... that really bugs me.

Personally, I could not give a rats ass about the American election right now. MY COUNTRY, is having an election. So, the only thing I am paying attention to, is the Canadian Federal Election.

Yet it seems that too many Canadians are wrapped up in the American election, this is very disheartening.

Comment

Originally posted by cape_royds View Post
                            Our population has aged, but our politicians, whether left or right, still haven't grown up.
                            That's got to be the most profound statment of this election.

Comment

Originally posted by Canmoore View Post
                              I think that Harper realizes that now is his time..

Gas prices are not going down anytime, and with Gustav to swamp the gulf, you can bet your left nut that gas prices hear in N.America will only rise.

Dion has put all of his eggs into one basket, his Green Shift (carbon tax), if Gustav damages any oil rigs or refineries in the gulf, and prices go up. Who in there right mind will vote for a party that wants to raise gas prices even more!!

I can see Harper getting a majority government, for the first time in a LONG time, we will have a majority government in Ottawa.
                              Is he really likely to gain a majority though?

There just seems too crowded a field for him to actually take 155 - he'll definitely be returned, but a majority is surely still out of reach.
                              Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
                              - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Working...
                              X