Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia

For awhile now i've become increasingly intrigued with Russia. I had briefly studied a little Russian history many years ago on the Bolshevik's and the Soviet Union during World War II. But i have never seriously looked at the beginnings of Russia or the Russian empire.

Could anyone recommend any good Russian history books to me that should be available on Amazon? Im not as much interested in Russian society or culture as i am in Russia's military and political history. Altho the subject of Russian expansion east (as in the mass-movement / re-settling of Russian people in Asia) is something that interests me. But what subjects im really after are the Russian empire (including the great game period), Russia during the 1st and 2nd World War's, and the Soviet Union. In regards to the Russian empire im more interested in Russia's role in the Caucasus and in Asia than i am in Russia's connection / wars with Europe.

Thanks if anyone can recommend some good material.

About a year ago I read Tolstoys short story 'The Cossacks' which is based on a visit he made to the Caucuses to visit his brother who was serving there. As an account of life there at the time it's quite interesting - as well as being very well written :).

Comment

IMO To study Russia, one must start his study by studying the Mongol Empire, the royal line of Juji, Baku and the Golden Horde, its collapse and the shift of power from Sarai to the Moscovites ... then off to the Romanov

see the link ...

RUSSIA

Comment

Here are some good introductory lectures on Russian history given by Professor Carroll Quigley:

History Of The Pre-Revolutionary Origins Of The USSR

http://www.ndu.edu/library/ic2/L51-134.pdf
        http://www.ndu.edu/library/ic3/L58-126.pdf
        http://www.ndu.edu/library/ic2/L52-116.pdf
        http://www.ndu.edu/library/ic3/L60-143.pdf

Comment

This one is my list as well ....

Russia's Oil Barons and Metal Magnates: Oligarchs and the State in Transition
          by Stephen Fortescue

Amazon.com: Russia's Oil Barons and Metal Magnates: Oligarchs and the State in Transition: Stephen Fortescue: Books

Comment

And this too:

Creation of the Russian Civilization

In the nineteenth century most historians regarded Russia as part of Europe but it is now becoming increasingly clear that Russia is another civilization quite separate from Western Civilization. Both of these civilizations are descended from Classical Civilization, but the connection with this predecessor was made so differently that two quite different traditions came into existence.

Russian traditions were derived from Byzantium directly; Western traditions were derived from the more moderate Classical Civilization indirectly, having passed through the Dark Ages when there was no state or government in the West...

Comment

Thanks for the links.

Comment

Would you say the Byzantine or Mongol influence is pre-dominant in todays Russia?

Comment

Yes, their intrigue and cunningness at playing the Great Game is from the Byzantines, while their empire building habits are from Mongols.

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes View Post
                    Yes, their intrigue and cunningness at playing the Great Game is from the Byzantines, while their empire building habits are from Mongols.
                    There is some organic things as well. The first unification of Russia by Vladimir and the aggregation of tribal identity into a national one through the language/religion. Then there are basic periods of strong rule prosperity expansion and weak rule destabilization massive strife. Hence the necessity of constant expansion for the sake of survival and well being.

A lot of things ignore the tribal unions prior to emergence of even small city states in Russia.
                    Originally from Sochi, Russia.

Comment

Working...
                    X