Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Idiots

What Idiots

Eight soldiers have tested positive for drugs, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) has confirmed.

(Advertisement)
    The men, who are all in the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, were found to have traces of cocaine and cannabis during a compulsory drug test in July.

An MoD spokesman said: "Eight members of the 2nd Royal Regiment of Fusiliers have provided positive samples as part of the Army's compulsory drug testing programme."

He said "internal action" would be taken against the soldiers, adding: "The army treats drug-taking very seriously and appropriate action is being taken against all eight soldiers."

An army source told the News of the World that the men had "let the battalion down.

"These are not just daft kids," the source is quoted as saying.

"Most are experience men who should know better. It's taken the shine off what should be proud days for the battalion."

The regiment was formed in 1968 by the amalgamation of the four English fusilier regiments, the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers, the Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers, the Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) and the Lancashire Fusiliers.

The 2nd battalion carries out public duties for the regiment, including guarding the Queen at Buckingham Palace.

Armchair Worrier Senior Contributor bolo121's Avatar
    war is heck i suppose so they wanted a little something to take it all away?
    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Resident Curmudgeon Military Professional Gun Grape's Avatar
    tankie,

Do you know if they are scheduled to deploy soon?

That seemed to be an easy way out back in my USMC days. Pop positive and you were non-deployable.

One of my friends (former Fallschirmjäger/airborn infrantry) told me the following story:

After he and several other men got transfered to their new unit they were asked by their superior who of them had "exerpience with cannabis in the past" and all those who raised their hands were put into the same squad.

Later he learned that the reason for this a apparrantly a bet between two officers that a unit made of, I think you call it stooners, would archive better results then one without them, due "greater lung capaticy" (don't know how that is suppossed to work, but I never smoked pot or tobacco...)

The stoner-squad won easily and was selected to represent Germany in several international competitions...

In Memoriam Military Professional dave lukins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Grape View Post
    tankie,

Do you know if they are scheduled to deploy soon?

That seemed to be an easy way out back in my USMC days. Pop positive and you were non-deployable.

The 2nd Battalion left Belfast at the end of 2005 and moved to Cyprus with their families for 2 years. In March 2008 they moved to London and are now doing ceremonial Public Duties before deploying on operationa again in 2009..

In Memoriam Military Professional dave lukins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Grape View Post
    Pop positive and you were non-deployable.
    In the British Army it's a bit more than non-deployable it's "pack your bags and here's a one way ticket to civvy street".

Military Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by dave lukins View Post
    In the British Army it's a bit more than non-deployable it's "pack your bags and here's a one way ticket to civvy street".
    aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh the old B Sqn Tactics come to mind.

Resident Curmudgeon Military Professional Gun Grape's Avatar

Same in the Marine Corps. They are nondeployable because they are being processed from the Corps. Some of the services allow sporadic drug use but the Corps has a 0% tolerance policy.

The thing is, sometimes the youngsters are tired of deployments and the Bad Conduct Discharge doesn't mean anything to them.

The other is that most companies in the US feel the same. During a retirement seminar, we had 5 fortune 500 recruiters come in. All were asked the question about young Marines and BCD discharges. All stated that, while a BCD could keep someone from being employed, once it was identified that it was for drug use than they didn't care about the discharge. Only if it was for a "Serious" offense did it effect employment.

They all stated "Everyone does drugs on the outside. marijuana is no big deal"

Quote Originally Posted by bolo121 View Post
    war is heck i suppose so they wanted a little something to take it all away?
    That is a pretty feeble thing to say bolo , if i was to depend on one of my crew when been on that stuff , guess what i would have shot the #### myself , and saved lives ,, mainly mine .

The 2nd Battalion left Belfast at the end of 2005 and moved to Cyprus with their families for 2 years. In March 2008 they moved to London and are now doing ceremonial Public Duties before deploying on operationa again in 2009..
    Cheers Dave .

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy the Lar View Post
    aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh the old B Sqn Tactics come to mind.
    Yea , and i had the pleasure of looking after them when i did 6 months R/P , wasnt a bad gig that come to think of it , 8 till 4 job except when duty R/P and every weekend off , woo hoo , but alas back to the tank park and exercises on my trusty steed 61f .

Quote Originally Posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
    One of my friends (former Fallschirmjäger/airborn infrantry) told me the following story:

After he and several other men got transfered to their new unit they were asked by their superior who of them had "exerpience with cannabis in the past" and all those who raised their hands were put into the same squad.

Later he learned that the reason for this a apparrantly a bet between two officers that a unit made of, I think you call it stooners, would archive better results then one without them, due "greater lung capaticy" (don't know how that is suppossed to work, but I never smoked pot or tobacco...)

The stoner-squad won easily and was selected to represent Germany in several international competitions...
    Bit different to heroin Tarek . But if anyone in the Brit Army admitted to it , it was off you pop , do not pass go do not collect 200 pounds , go to jail . and then go to any town of your choice MR your sacked .

Well the report also mentioned cannabis so I assumend some where kicked for smoking pot.

Yup . but i find the subject of your post , shows the different attitudes of services towards the tolerance of drug use , a bit disturbing to say the least , but informative , thanks .
    Last edited by tankie; 26 Aug 08, at 11:52.

Well it was certainly no offical policy, and the question was if they did so in the past, not if they still did it. If anyone would show up stoned for service he would be either kicked out, or in case they assume he did it just to get out of the draft he gets send to do weaponless service, like cleaning etc.

At least after the stories I got told so far.

Thread Information