Russia Warns Ukraine On Crimea/ Sevastopol Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia Warns Ukraine On Crimea/ Sevastopol Access

KIEV, Ukraine - Russia's foreign minister warned Ukrainian leaders Tuesday against trying to restrict the Kremlin's use of a Crimean naval base it leases from Ukraine, adding to tensions that have heated up since Russian troops invaded Georgia.
    The lease agreement says "nothing about us needing to explain to someone why, where to and for how long the Black Sea Fleet ships are leaving their walls," Lavrov was quoted as saying by Russia's state-controlled ITAR-Tass news agency.
    Many Ukrainians fear the Kremlin's fierce opposition to Ukraine's drive to join NATO and Moscow's desire to regain control of the palm-lined Crimea peninsula and the Sevastopol naval base might put Ukraine at a risk of a military conflict with its giant neighbor.
    While siding with Georgia, Ukrainian officials have acknowledged that Moscow's quick military victory exposed their nation's own vulnerability.

"I think that Russia is looking for a reason to have a serious conflict with Ukraine," said Iryna Mezentseva, a 21-year-old secretary in Kiev.
    Russia warns Ukraine about navy base - MSNBC Wire Services - MSNBC.com

Russia vs Ukraine??..now that'd be a decent fight..Ukraine is certainly not Georgia

Comment

It would not be a DECENT FIGHT, though a more interesting fight! :))

I maybe wrong, but it sure would be real indecent! ;)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Mercenary View Post
        Russia vs Ukraine??..now that'd be a decent fight..Ukraine is certainly not Georgia
        Please specify what part of Ukraine? Ukraine is very much divided society, part of it are true patriots and very antirussian, another part are very much pro-Russian.... same division is in Ukrainian army, fleet, airforce.... etc.

I also know that at least 1/3 of Russians have Ukrainian family names and Ukrainian roots... for them fighting Ukrainian army where much relatives serve would be tough....

It takes few years of political preparation for such a hostility between these people

Comment

Could not have said it better Garry!!

Nail on the head.

It's similar to what we are facing in Afganistan. tribal loyalties there.

Comment

""I think that Russia is looking for a reason to have a serious conflict with Ukraine," said Iryna Mezentseva, a 21-year-old secretary in Kiev."

I wonder what the school children think?

Comment

Working...
            X