Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

155mm Howitzer Naval gunfire.. yes please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a nuclear powered cruiser...
    Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

Comment

Originally posted by VarSity View Post
      Clearly, the stealthy Zumwalt Class sits at one end of the solution scale, offering an expense greater than reactivating an Iowa Class battleship, while delivering a less terror-inducing punch for a shorter period of time.
      Oh, dear...

Comment

on the subject of airspace deconfliction in afgahnistan when ( british not sure about us) call in a fire mission- fast air or artillery whatever, it goes right to an atc at bastion who tells everything else eg ba flight 7834 to kabul it has to stay clear of battlespace untill contact is over.

system could be used with naval gunfire support, when aircraft near ship is told and they stop firing.
        incoming fire has the right of way

Comment

Originally posted by VarSity View Post
          Bet it would make every Marine in the world feel a little happier as well.
          Rusty you are TRULY a blessed man

worked on 16"
          worked on MK-71

Man, I really would like to have B#@ch-slapped that senator as the 60 or so Arleigh Burkes comming on line would all have them, what a sight to see,
          firing regular and Excalibur 155mm shells with sabot through mk 71 would have probably gotten us 40+ miles....Oh well heres all data on FMCs,
          MK-71 I have, Hope someone finds it useful

Comment

Why not lose the two frontal guns and replace them with one larger cal gun? say a 12 or 16 inch?

Comment

Petsan that has to be one of most beautiful things I have seen posted on the internet.

But I would put 9 mounts on a container ship. Fill up the remainder of the hull with containers filled with oil drums with those filled with foam. Bolt on a few CIWS. 2 ships per ARG.......

EDIT: I am using the cut-away as my desktop background. Looks awesome on my 24" monitor. I will be day dreaming about a re-fitted Tiger Class cruiser carrying two of these.........
              Last edited by rocket-dog; 10 Dec 08,, 21:27.

Comment

Originally posted by rocket-dog View Post
                Petsan that has to be one of most beautiful things I have seen posted on the internet.

But I would put 9 mounts on a container ship. Fill up the remainder of the hull with containers filled with oil drums with those filled with foam. Bolt on a few CIWS. 2 ships per ARG.......

EDIT: I am using the cut-away as my desktop background. Looks awesome on my 24" monitor. I will be day dreaming about a re-fitted Tiger Class cruiser carrying two of these.........

Stop, Im getting excited :P !!!
                your veery welcome...

Comment

Originally posted by petsan View Post
                  Stop, Im getting excited :P !!!
                  your veery welcome...

Comment

Royal Navy prepares to roll out the big guns
                    An Equipment and Logistics news article 28 Aug 08

The Royal Navy has enlisted the help of industry to design and produce a powerful 155mm heavy gun to beef up its existing warships and the fleet's sleek and stealthy new Type 45 destroyers.

The Navy's Type 45 Daring-class destroyers were designed to be able to carry a 155mm gun as a possible upgrade to their firepower.

The MOD's Defence Technology & Innovation Centre (DTIC) is working with BAE Systems and QinetiQ to look at increasing the Royal Navy's firepower in support of land forces and construction of a prototype heavy gun is already underway. Once completed, the gun will undergo trials to assess its suitability for use on Royal Navy warships.

A new £4m contract will see BAE Systems and QinetiQ work together to build a trials gun mount and firing trials are scheduled to take place on an MOD range next year.

The prototype is based on the 155mm Howitzers now deployed by the British Army but with a much longer barrel and which fires shells that are twice as heavy as those fired by the Navy's current 1960s vintage 114mm calibre guns.

The new 155mm shells could deliver a 50 per cent improvement on the range of the Navy's existing 114mm shells with the increase in explosive power rendering the new shells four times as effective on targets.

The Navy's Type 45 Daring-class destroyers were designed to be able to carry a 155mm gun as a possible upgrade to their firepower.

MOD project leader Nick Overfield, Maritime Integrated Technology Team Leader at DTIC, said:

"We're looking at the possibility of going from the existing naval 114mm gun to a 155mm because there are potentially many advantages. They include much greater range, hugely increased effects on the target and our ability to use the same ammunition as the Army.

"There are many advanced types of 155mm shell in production or in development to which the Navy would have access were we to go down this route.

"We're also looking at doing it through a very cost-effective route. We believe – and these trials will tell us for sure – that the Navy's existing 114mm gun mount, as used on our frigates and destroyers, is strongly-built enough to deal with increased firing stresses of a 155mm gun.

"Our initial investigations have told us this appears to be the case. Now we plan to test our theory on the firing ranges.

"The study is still just that - a study - but we've made some exciting steps forward and will get to see the gun fire next year. If successful it gives us the option to proceed further towards manufacture and fit."

The new gun is one of eight projects in a three-year Maritime Surface Effects research programme, which examines a number of modern naval issues, including offensive and defensive surface warfare, coastal suppression and naval fire support as well as the role of unmanned surface vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by petsan View Post
                      Thanks for the pic'.

After those quick posts I had to press on with university work.

In an another thread I may have come over as anti-gun (advocating 76mm over 155mm or even 4.5in) but I am not. We need missiles and helicopters etc. but on a bang for buck basis you don't get better than the gun. But we have to quantify what we need to get the job done. That is why advocate 9 mounts on a large hull for US operations as they are the only nation capable of putting a brigade (or more) over the beach. But for most third world work lots of bangs is better; you have to remember there is no infrastructure to shell. Artillery has played little part in Africa's bush wars; mortars have been the most effective indirect fire apparatus.

Comment

Working...
                      X