• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Foot (Maybe?)

Aug 15th 2008
    By Tom Radler
    WeirdNews

The legend of Bigfoot (you may know him as Sasquatch) is long and laden with crazy talk. Though there have been plenty of so-called sightings of giant ape-like mammals roaming remote forests, actual confirmation of the creature's existence has never been substantiated. But now, three Bigfoot enthusiasts claim they have "proof" that a seven-foot-tall, 500-pound beast discovered in the woods of northern Georgia is a Bigfoot.

Today at a press conference in Palo Alto, Calif., Georgia residents and Bigfoot trackers Matthew Whitton and Rick Dyer, and Bigfoot researcher Tom Biscardi plan to present DNA evidence suggesting the carcass of what's been named "Rickmat" is a Bigfoot. The body evidently has flat, human-like feet that created massive 16 3/4-inch prints.

Apparently Biscardi also has a documentary called "Bigfoot Lives" in the works. We're guessing he must be overjoyed that Rickmat has been so cooperative in turning up right around the same time he'll need to promote it.

Like the furry dudes?

I've always wanted to believe that such critters exist. It would prove a greater diversity of large living animals than now accepted. But never even finding a carcass of one has made me grow doubtful though one was spotted on (or near) our land in Oregon and something other than a lost cow was watching me in the woods one day (the hair was standing on the back of my neck - while I drew my .41 magnum out of its holster).

I'm hoping this carcass find will prove there really is such a creature and send all these anti-bigfoot "experts" sitting down at the table to eat crow.
    Last edited by RustyBattleship; 14 Aug 08,, 23:16.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Well, it looks like some "15 minutes of fame" grabbers have gone and done it.
    Some joker about 40 years ago pulled the same stunt claiming he shot a Bigfoot in upper Wisconsin (probably in Debbie's back yard). He had it frozen in a block of ice in a freezer and displayed it at carnivals, etc. Then he claimed that as melting ice (while cover was open for viewing) started to let a smell through, he had a fiberglass copy made of it to take on tour instead.

What is personal to me about that is he claimed he used a fiberglass shop in Walteria, California to make the replica. Walteria is a small suburb in the southern part of Torrance. You could fit most of that town on the Flight Deck of a Nimitz class carrer then (now-a-days you need two carriers).

That shop was right next door to my Mother's Thrift shop and I could walk out from her back door into their back door and watch their artistry in making the clay models first before making the molds (at that time they were making a life-size model of the Minuteman for an Insurance Company).

You couldn't miss the place. It was 3 doors from the Baptist Church (I helped build) and you could see a couple of California Mastodons in their back yard. Those Mastodons and a Saber Tooth Tiger they built are still on display at the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles.

Arjun Ramachandran
    August 15, 2008 - 7:58AM

The two men who claim to have found Bigfoot have admitted to filming a hoax video with a fake scientist, but they still claim they have a real Bigfoot corpse in the freezer and will reveal all at a press conference.

News that the legendary ape-like creature has been found has also kicked off a frenzied online response, with the story covered in newspapers around the world and generating so much interest that some blogs and websites devoted to Bigfoot have crashed.

Two US hunters, Matthew Whitton and Rick Dyer, last month said they had discovered the body of Bigfoot in a forest in northern Georgia, a south-east US state.

They've promised to reveal all about the find, including "DNA evidence and photo evidence of the creature", at a press conference in California today (early tomorrow, Australian time).

However, it's been revealed that a video filmed by the pair, featuring an interview with a "scientist", was a hoax.

The video, uploaded to YouTube by Mr Dyer, shows a "Dr Paul Van Buren" after he had flown from Texas to Georgia to view the Bigfoot body.

After seeing the corpse, Dr Van Buren says: "It's obviously a male, we looked at a very, very large primate male, it doesn't fit into any of the taxonomic groups I can think of.

"Unbelievable, I'm still shaking... I've never seen anything like this before."

However, Dr Van Buren was later outed as being Mr Whitton's brother, Martin, and the pair was forced to concede in a subsequent video that the interview was a hoax.

But Mr Whitton insisted the Bigfoot discovery was authentic, saying the fake interview was filmed to stir up those in the "Bigfoot world" who had been hassling and stalking the pair.

"I'm just tired of all the stalkers so I had my brother, 'Dr Van Buren', come down ... I'm just glad you all had something to do on the weekend," Mr Whitten says on the video. "We still have a corpse," he adds later.

The supposed discovery of Bigfoot, also known as Sasquatch, has been widely reported in the US and around the world.

Websites devoted to the search for Bigfoot have experienced high traffic and some have crashed as a result, including Cryptomundo, a blog devoted to cryptozoology, the study of hidden animals.

In a report in The Times, Ben Radford, managing editor for Skeptical Inquirer said: "It's smelling to high heaven like a hoax. They can claim to have DNA, but its not going to be possible for them to prove through DNA analysis that they have Bigfoot because there's no specimen in a jar that says, This is Bigfoot, to match it to.

"And the video?... it'll be what's known in the Bigfoot research community as a Blobsquatch, an indeterminate, dark blob that may or may not be a man, a bear, a Bigfoot, an elf, a dragon...who knows?"

Jeffrey Meldrum, a prominent Bigfoot researcher, told science journal Scientific American: "I'm extremely sceptical about this Bigfoot claim.

"I've had interactions with Tom Biscardi [a well-known Bigfoot hunter who is holding the press conference] in the past, and based on that history, I would say that anything he is involved in is suspect.

"What I've seen so far is not compelling in the least, and I think the pictures cast grave doubts on their claim. It just looks like a costume with some fake guts thrown on top for effect.

"You hold out hope that Bigfoot will be found one day ... hopefully it wouldn't unfold in such a carnival atmosphere and the proper authorities and scientists would be involved."

Comment

In a way I'm kind of happy it turned out to be a hoax. It keeps the mystery alive.

Comment

I always wondered why all the big foot sightings (sasquatch and yetti included) are by just a few people at a time, and no one ever bothered to shoot it?

If I see a mystery creature in the wild, my first reaction is to shoot the damn thing and sort things out later.

You guys ever watch "monster quest" on history channel? It's all the same. Some people claimed to have kind of witnessed what possibly could be something that didn't look quite right. No one ever bothered to shoot it. Some have (chubacabras) and it looks like some sick rabid dog hybrid. Definitely not a flying goat sucker.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          I always wondered why all the big foot sightings (sasquatch and yetti included) are by just a few people at a time, and no one ever bothered to shoot it?

If I see a mystery creature in the wild, my first reaction is to shoot the damn thing and sort things out later.
          Do you mean shoot it as in video-tape the sighting or shoot it with a firearm?
          When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Knaur Amarsh View Post
            Do you mean shoot it as in video-tape the sighting or shoot it with a firearm?
            This is America, he means make boom with fire stick.

-dale

Comment

Both. We want "before" and "after" pictures...

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                This is America, he means make boom with fire stick.

-dale
                Makes sense :)

Assuming I ever saw a mystery creature of some sort , I would never shoot it, with my luck, on closer inspection it would probably turn out to be some animal of rare species instead and with the anti-poaching laws here, I'd end up spending 6 years in prison:)

Comment

Both. We want "before" and "after" pictures...
                  PETA will love you

Comment

Originally posted by Knaur Amarsh View Post
                    Makes sense :)

Assuming I ever saw a mystery creature of some sort , I would never shoot it, with my luck, on closer inspection it would probably turn out to be some animal of rare species instead and with the anti-poaching laws here, I'd end up spending 6 years in prison:)
                    So far, only the state of Washington has a law prohibiting the killing of a Bigfoot (except in self defense which would be hard to prove without a video of the attack).

As for my experience in Oregon, if it was a Bigfoot in the thick clump of trees I was in, I was planning a speech to make. Remember, I had a .41 Ruger Blackhawk magnum in hand and was backing up to my truck that had an M-1 Garand in it.

"OKay. If you are just some guy in a monkey suit trying to scare me off, take the mask off now. Even if you are wearing flak jacket under that suit, it won't do much good after a few rounds of this .41 Magnum. Even if it doesn't penetrate, several of your ribs will be caved in. By the time you get back up, I will have my M-1 Garand out, locked and loaded with 8 rounds of 180 grain soft nosed bullets.

So take off that hood at meet me by my camping trailer for a cold beer and tell me all about this masquarade."

Well, that's what I think I would like to say. But if a 7-foot tall Gigantus Blackus pushed through the thickets toward me -- well -- Bill Ruger would be doing the talking for me.

Comment

Well, it's finally been proven that the "Bigfoot" in the freezer was just a rubberized Gorilla costume.

Unfortunately for one of the hoaxers, he's a law enforcement officer. According to a phone call from a News station to his chief, paperwork to fire him are already being processed.

Comment

You have to seriously wonder what is going on in the heads of these idiots when they push stuff this far. This isn't 1885 when you can just high-tail it to the Arizona Territories or something.

-dale

Comment

You guys ever watch "monster quest" on history channel? It's all the same. Some people claimed to have kind of witnessed what possibly could be something that didn't look quite right. No one ever bothered to shoot it. Some have (chubacabras) and it looks like some sick rabid dog hybrid. Definitely not a flying goat sucker.
                          No offence intended Sir but this a. counter-productive: If such creatures exist then their population must be small (no doubt partly to reactions just like this). b. Not scientific - it reminds me of a famous old Punch quote "Who's him Bill? ", "Stranger", "Heave half a brick at 'him". Whatever we don't know or understand scares us!

Personaly I would not waste any time searching for these creatures. It is very doubtful that they exist but if they should happen to do shooting them will actualy bring about their extinction faster than anything.

Comment

So far, only the state of Washington has a law prohibiting the killing of a Bigfoot (except in self defense which would be hard to prove without a video of the attack).
                            State of Washington is something isn't it? They have a law prohibiting killing a Mystery creature noone ever managed to prove existing
                            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                              No offence intended Sir but this a. counter-productive: If such creatures exist then their population must be small (no doubt partly to reactions just like this). b. Not scientific - it reminds me of a famous old Punch quote "Who's him Bill? ", "Stranger", "Heave half a brick at 'him". Whatever we don't know or understand scares us!

Personaly I would not waste any time searching for these creatures. It is very doubtful that they exist but if they should happen to do shooting them will actualy bring about their extinction faster than anything.
                              My question is: so?

If some mytical creatures exist, like Nessie, big foot, chupacabra, or whatever, the population number is probably small. Small population cannot sustain itself. If we don't kill them, nature will. Nature has selected against them. That's why they're small in the first place. So instead of letting them go quietly into the night, we might as well bag a few samples for the museum. Then they can live forever.:))

As you can see, extinctions do not bother me at all. Most of the creatures that have ever existed are extinct now. There's no point trying to protect some boutique species just because it's slightly different than another more common and dominant species.

Comment

Working...
                              X