Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 16" Rifle Production Capacity... Gone?

Defense Professional RustyBattleship's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maximusslade View Post
    Sara Larson huh? I would have figured you would have Mae West as a pin up rather than a girl on your computer wallpaper.

And for all you "young whippersnappers" out there. I introduce you to the one, the only, Mae West.
    Naw!. Too much make-up and too "buxom" for me. I've always been a believer that anything more than a mouthful is wasted anyway.

Take Linda Park from Enterprise for example:

But then again, even for people who are tone deaf like me, there is Mariah Carey:

Now, after you guys get done hyper-ventilating, let's get back to 16" gun barrels (as in one of my favorite bumper stickers):
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

TOO BUXOM??? Many years ago I worked (and more HA HA) with a gal that was quite buxom. One guy told her the same thing that "ya know what they say, any more than a mouthfull is wasted".
    She asked him if he knew who said that and he said NO.
    So she told him "some poor A.. Hole that never had 2 mouthfuls". I always thought that was a great put down.
    And yes, I totally agreed with her.
    Love the Bumper Sticker too.

Defense Professional Dreadnought's Avatar
    Any questions as to why W.C. Fields drank so much?)
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Military Professional

Blue Practice Rounds

Since we're kinda on the subject, were the blue practice rounds fired or just loaded for drill? If they were loaded for drill, then how were they removed?

I'm a Corpsman with an artillery unit... so I'm kinda curious how things were done with the "big guns"...

I have a related question -
    If firing was stopped while there were rounds in the guns, I assume they were fired and then cease firing called, BUT what about projectiles that were on the spanner or almost up the hoist? Was the hoist able to take shells back down to the projectile flats? I assume there was a point of no return or people were smart enough to know they were stopping firing and stopped sending projectiles up before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by tlturbo View Post
    I have a related question -
    If firing was stopped while there were rounds in the guns, I assume they were fired and then cease firing called, BUT what about projectiles that were on the spanner or almost up the hoist? Was the hoist able to take shells back down to the projectile flats? I assume there was a point of no return or people were smart enough to know they were stopping firing and stopped sending projectiles up before hand.
    Thats an indepth question right there. If firing was halted and rounds still in the guns more then likely a reduced service charge (half or less then normal 660 lbs) was used to clear the gun after given clearence to do so. If the gun didnt fire (either due to primer failure or other) a "hang fire" was called and the primer removed from the firing lock and replaced if it does not fire at salvo alarm again then the primer removed and the gun sits for one half hour before opening the breech to inspect it. The projectile hoist was reversable for the Iowa class ships (this cleared redundancy and allowed for more room in the gun wales themselves) when reversed the gunner mates or other down on the shell decks below would have to parbuckle the projectiles back into their vertile staunchions and re-secure them to the bulkheads in the same fashion in which they removed them. This is a rather bastardized explanation of what the manual states.

The talker (turret officers communications man) in the turret would communicate with both gun plot and the shell decks with prior approval of the turret officer and gun captain to cease loading "powder train" for that rifle and immediately start unloading/reversing the powder train and the projectile hoist proper. More then likely the powder "quenched" upon retrieval from the powder train elevator in the quench tank located outside the powder magazine and later discarded. Again a rather bastardized explanation of what the manual states.

Hope this helps.

Military Professional maximusslade's Avatar
    Why would the powder be quenched?
    Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

Quote Originally Posted by maximusslade View Post
    Why would the powder be quenched?
    Once removed from its containers the either/alcohol mixture that preserves them disapates. The powder itself still causes a risk of fire once removed from the powder magazine and procedures would require in dumped into a vat of water to sit until completely soaked through just outside the scuttle passage. There maybe other procedureds that would allow its return to the magazine pending its material condition. I'm not sure but almost certain the flame proof scuttles from the magazine only turn from inside the magaine outwards and not reversing. When passing powder the magazine itself is sealed in order to comply with flame proofing procedures. I can check on this over the weekend.

Resident Curmudgeon Military Professional Gun Grape's Avatar
    It would depend on the type of mission.

If it was a continuous fire mission, the command would be Cease loading
    Which means finish shooting what you have in the tube but don't break any more powder open or fuze any more rounds.

Dummy rounds, Blue trainers.

Another grey area. In artillery there are training rounds that are used for hands on task that involve special procedures.

An example, the Copperhead trainer (gold in color, blue band) is a hands on trainer that allows crews to practice setting PDF codes, inspecting wings and fins and loading procedures.

There is an extraction device that is used if the crew actually rams the thing in the tube.

There is a blue practice round that has a spring device used for loading procedures. When rammed the spring pops the rotating band out of the lands
    and the projectile will slide to the breach or can be extracted with the bell rammer.

Other countries have blue rounds that are fired that have a smoke charge in the fuze well for use in No HE impact areas.

I believe that BBs have training rounds to practice loading procedures up to the point of loading. I would hate to have to punch a 16in tube.

Doc Hayes, Who are you with?

Military Professional
    Right now I'm with a Battery of 14th Marines... I sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Grape View Post
    It would depend on the type of mission.

If it was a continuous fire mission, the command would be Cease loading
    Which means finish shooting what you have in the tube but don't break any more powder open or fuze any more rounds.

Dummy rounds, Blue trainers.

I believe that BBs have training rounds to practice loading procedures up to the point of loading. I would hate to have to punch a 16in tube.

Doc Hayes, Who are you with?
    On Navy ships, after "Cease Fire" is given, the order is "Clear the tubes" which means to fire what is already loaded but don't load another. If there is a projectile in the breach but no powder case yet, (I'm talking about 5"/38's) a clearing charge is brought up which is merely a shorter cartridge case with just enough propellent to lob the projectile out of the barrel.

Most "live fire" practice with the 5-inchers against a towed air sleeve use "VT Non-Frag". The projectile has a proximity fuse (originally a variable timed fuse that gives the designation VT) and a small HE charge that bursts out of one end of the shell but does not shatter it into fragments (thus the Non-Frag designation).

The 16-inchers on a Battleship have various types of practice rounds as well with the "Blind Loaded Plug (BLP)" as the most common. It's just a 1,900 lb inert shell painted light blue.

Then we have marker shells where the explosive casing of the shell is sort of ball shaped and the aerodynamic nose cone is filled with a colored dye. On such tests with the New Jersey back in 82, a target sled was quite visible several miles out off our port side. The orders were NOT to hit the target sled but to hit about 100 yards behind it to see how well each turret is grouping.

That was a neat firing exercise. As soon as the guns fired I would pull off my ear protectors and I could hear the shell whoosh-wooshing its way on out. It was a hazy day and some of the sharper eyed sailors could actually see them in flight.

The engineers from Dahlgren conducted the tests. Turret I used Orange dye, Turret II used Yellow dye and Turret III use Green dye. But, as I said, it was a hazy day. So hazy it filtered out the yellow. So when a broadside salvo was fired, you saw huge columns of water colored RED, WHITE & BLUE.

Now if the ship had a bar on board, I would have bought those guys a round.

Patron
    But then again, even for people who are tone deaf like me, there is Mariah Carey
    I think, in Mariah's case, it helps to be tone deaf.

Official Thread Jacker Senior Contributor gunnut's Avatar
    DPRK, Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Is it me or does Mariah Carey looked a big chunky lately? I swear a few more waffles and she would look like the plus sized woman in Norbit.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnut View Post
    Is it me or does Mariah Carey looked a big chunky lately? I swear a few more waffles and she would look like the plus sized woman in Norbit.
    She does seem to have "blossomed" out a bit since she first came on the scene. But at least in all the right places.

Patron
    Not to bash poor Mariah, but wouldn't between-the-ears be a good place to blossom, and without requiring a gallon of silicone?

Thread Information