Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In current Russia-Georgia conflict, who is right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't The current crisis as predicted when Russia aims to show the world it's balls again after slipping down from been a superpower to a regional joke?

Look at Russia's arms, tanks etc.
    They are old and they are rebuilding arms using oil and gas money and creating links with NATO's enemies but wouldn't they have to back down if NATO really put pressure on as they are not a superpower anymore.
    Also a Jewish website was claiming that Russia is building up like Germany did in the 30's.
    Is this going a bit too far?
    What do others think about it?
    I was hoping Medvedev was going to be more friendly to the west but perhaps asserting yourself as a country aids this process or maybe Russia is upset at the US foreign affairs team previously claiming that Russia was not a threat anymore in so many words.

Comment

[QUOTE=snapper;530875]"
      Originally posted by lurker View Post
      Chechnya is not a country, but rather a territory constantly fought for by it's neighbors. It's never been a sovereign country. So actually is Ukraine until some recent point."

Totaly incorrect in regards to Ukraine - it would be historicaly more correct to say that Russia is Ukrainian! The first Capital of the 'Rus' was Kiev and Muscowy but a backwater. To argue therefore that Ukraine has never been a country is to deny that Russia IS one...but I take that is not what you intended.
      Not to get too tangential here, but Kievan Rus was a Russian-speaking state (at least an earlier form of Russian), and Moscowy adopted and carried on the traditions of this state--to which Russia looks back as a straight line so to speak. Historically it would probably be more correct to say Ukraine was Russian than the other way around, I think.
      In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
      The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

Originally posted by medvedev View Post
        Isn't The current crisis as predicted when Russia aims to show the world it's balls again after slipping down from been a superpower to a regional joke?
        Usually, when you show an enemy your balls, you get kicked in them.

Look at Russia's arms, tanks etc.
        They are old and they are rebuilding arms using oil and gas money and creating links with NATO's enemies but wouldn't they have to back down if NATO really put pressure on as they are not a superpower anymore.
        What exact type of brinksmanship would NATO have to show in order to cower Russia into submission?

Also a Jewish website was claiming that Russia is building up like Germany did in the 30's.
        Is this going a bit too far?
        What do others think about it?
        What Jewish website are you talking about?

I was hoping Medvedev was going to be more friendly to the west but perhaps asserting yourself as a country aids this process or maybe Russia is upset at the US foreign affairs team previously claiming that Russia was not a threat anymore in so many words.
        You're assuming that Medvedev is the honcho.
        The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

I cannot recall the website but it was a jewish site that seemed very bias to me and I took it with a pinch of salt.
          It made Russia seem absolutely terrible like Nazi Germany but I can't now recal the URL as it was through a feed I saw it.

I don't think NATO would make Russia cower.
          This conflict has such history to it I am unable to understand it fully.
          I can only go by what I hear and read.
          How far do you think Russia will push things with regards to the current borders in it's regions and are they trying to reestablish the soviet union?
          What do others think?

Comment

Hi there. I am a newcomer from St. Petersburg, Russia.

On the subject matter, the answer is clear - nobody is right. To be more precise, it's both parties' fault, I believe.

On Russia: without a doubt, Russia has overreacted and used unproportional response to the Goergian combat action in South Ossetia.

On Georgia: it was a grave Saakashvili's mistake to initiate a military action before the Russian troops. As discussion on the personality of the Georgian leader is beyond the subject of this thread (although I strongly believe he urgently needs medical and psychological treatment), looks like he was mistakenly assured that the US would support him militarily, if needed. You may or may not like Russia but only a complete idiot would start a direct combat action with today's Russian army.

Actually, Russia should thank Mr. Saakashvili. He's given the Russians a great opportunity to restore their dominance in Caucasus.

P.S. Nothing personal. Just try to be as neutral as possible.

Comment

I cannot recall the website but it was a jewish site that seemed very bias to me and I took it with a pinch of salt.
              It made Russia seem absolutely terrible like Nazi Germany but I can't now recal the URL as it was through a feed I saw it.
              Do you mean an Israeli site?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny W View Post
                Do you mean an Israeli site?
                No just an extremist blogger type of thing you see from religious fanatics.
                You see them on technorati come up all the time on that subject.

Comment

It seems to me that all of this is very similar to how the first two World Wars got started. You could look at it similarly to how the Austro-Hungarian Empire invaded Serbia after Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated (obviously with no assassination this time, :P). You could also point out similarities to Nazi aggression in the pre-war years, invading their weaker neighbors. Don't be surprised if this whole thing ends very badly. On the one hand, Georgia has been a good democratic ally in the area, and the US would like to support them. On the other hand, we're not about to get into a slugging match with Russia right now. Forget about any UN action, as Russia will use its Security Council seat to nullify any US proposed peacekeeping action. Let's face it, the UN is about as effectual nowadays as the League of Nations was in the 1930's. I only hope that this doesn't spark off WWIII, because these things don't start off with a bang, usually it's a gigantic snowball effect.
                  Who dares, wins.

Comment

No just an extremist blogger type of thing you see from religious fanatics.
                    You see them on technorati come up all the time on that subject.
                    Saying Russia is building up like Germany in the 1930s is perhaps outlandish, but not extremist. In general, if you're going to cite an example... you gotta cite the example.

Comment

Both and neither.

:))

Comment

Originally posted by Stan187 View Post
                        Saying Russia is building up like Germany in the 1930s is perhaps outlandish, but not extremist. In general, if you're going to cite an example... you gotta cite the example.
                        I'll say, and have said Putin is taking pages from Hitler's play book. Almost step for step. The reason Russia isn't building up like the Germans did in the early 30's is Russia already has a big enough army for its short term or regional goals. Look for that to change now. You'll start seeing lots of articles in the Russian press about how the valiant Red Army soldiers were let down by Soviet era equipment and its time to give them weapons worthy of the Russian fighting man. Putin's got the cash, and the money is still rolling in.

Comment

^^^

I dont think so,

Hitler had world wide domination ambitions, beyound a sane normal man's dream, driven by an insane ideology. So where the Soviets during the Cold War. and I might add they came much closer to accomplish them than the Nazi.

Putin is not insane and he know his limits. Today's Russia ambitions are limited to create a buffer zone for its national security and counter-encirlcement against NATO's encirlcement, much like the way Red China was playing in South East Asia in 40 years ago.

Today's Russia is a gangster's land where oil barons are made billionairs, ,,, I might add they have fastest rate of billionairs next to India. Rockefellers era of Russians. It is all about business and money, not ideology as was in case of Hitler or USSR. Putin himself has probably a net worth of over 35 billion USD. Where money and greed is involved, sanity plays a much greater role in leader's decision than when ideology is inolved.

I did not see much of Cold War and/or Nazi era (wasnot born), but I am sure today's Russia is nothing to fear about, relative to that era, no matter how much nukes Russia has. If it is about money and business, we can understand and relate, and counter. If it is about ideology, it is unpredictable and dangerous.
                          Last edited by xerxes; 13 Aug 08,, 19:54.

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes;531085T
                            If it is about money and business, we can understand and relate, and counter. If it is about ideology, it is unpredictable and dangerous.
                            I believe it's all about money and business.. well... to be exactly, a dominant role in some businesses (oil, gas etc). There is nice wine and nice BBQ in Georgia but that's not the thing countries are invaded for.

Comment

Usually, when you show an enemy your balls, you get kicked in them
                              You are right.

Georgia got kicked in the gollies! :))

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes View Post
                                ^^^

I dont think so,

Hitler had world wide domination ambitions, beyound a sane normal man's dream, driven by an insane ideology. So where the Soviets during the Cold War. and I might add they came much closer to accomplish them than the Nazi.
                                I never said he was a Nazi, but he is stealing from their play book.

Putin is not insane and he know his limits.
                                A man who uses radiation in London to kill a political rival/opponent after London had been attacked by terrorists is neither sane, or aware of limits.

Today's Russia ambitions are limited to create a buffer zone for its national security and counter-encirlcement against NATO's encirlcement, much like the way Red China was playing in South East Asia in 40 years ago.
                                That buffer zone would be called an empire, and the last ones the Russians made was in the heart of Central Europe and enslaved over 100,000,000 people.

[quote]Today's Russia is a gangster's land where oil barons are made billionairs, ,,, I might add they have fastest rate of billionairs next to India. Rockefellers era of Russians. It is all about business and money, not ideology as was in case of Hitler or USSR. Putin himself has probably a net worth of over 35 billion USD. Where money and greed is involved, sanity plays a much greater role in leader's decision than when ideology is inolved.[quote]

Power is an ideology.

I did not see much of Cold War and/or Nazi era (wasnot born), but I am sure today's Russia is nothing to fear about, relative to that era, no matter how much nukes Russia has. If it is about money and business, we can understand and relate, and counter. If it is about ideology, it is unpredictable and dangerous.
                                Russia is always about ideology, even if other factors are at play. Even Russians have commented on Russia's perpetual rivalry and desire to be seen as equals by Western Europe. She feels slighted and disregarded and so plays power games. The nation as a whole seems unable to grasp why Russia is viewed as she is and so cannot change. Russian kids are raised on this very skewed view of history. They are as bad as the Japanese or Chinese is this regard.

Comment

Working...
                                X