No announcement yet.

South Ossetia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dear friends, don't forget the Russian tanks entered South Ossetia only after the Georgians shelled the town of Tshinvali by heavy artillery during the whole day and after they killed 12 our soldiers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinister View Post
      Everyone should realize that Ossetia has just as much right for independence as Kosovo.
      So, we want to go down that slippery slope? How about the Basques in Spain, the Lombards in Italy, the Kurds in Turkey?

Comment

And how was this whole thing started?

When seperatists fired artillery and mortar rounds onto Georgian territory. I have a friend in the Georgian Army and I will give updates when I can. But I doubt he will be able to get ahold of me. Last time I talked to him, he said that the seperatists in South Ossetia were gaining access to illegal weapons under the peace treaty and said to expect something big to happen.

I guess this is it.

Comment

Last news from our TV :

The Georgian plane was shown, it was destroyed by "another plane" and fell down burning. Pilot was shot by Ossetian militants.

Tskhinvali is cleared of Georgians by Ossetian forces and units of Russian 58th army.

Comment

Originally posted by Herodotus View Post
            So, we want to go down that slippery slope? How about the Basques in Spain, the Lombards in Italy, the Kurds in Turkey?
            Have you heard for domino effect?

Comment

Story Highlights
              Heavy fighting in breakaway Georgia region of South Ossetia

Georgia says it has shot down four Russian aircraft

Street battles in South Ossetian capital; Russians reported in city's north

Hundreds, possibly thousands, of refugees reportedly fleeing South Ossetia
              Fighting with Russia spreads to cities across Georgia - CNN.com

Wow, its really begun.

I don't know why, but this music comes to mind:

Comment

Originally posted by SRB View Post
                Have you heard for domino effect?
                I guess so. Just like with Kosovo if Ossetia is allowed to secede it will make a few NATO allies a little nervous.

Comment

Georgia says it has shot down four Russian aircraft

Just wait for two hours and they'll exterminate all the Russian air forces.
                  Last edited by MrFirst; 08 Aug 08,, 22:57.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFirst View Post
                    Just wait two hours and they'll exterminate all the Russian air forces.
                    How are you so sure of that?

I see the Russians take the territory within hours, or days and the Georgians won't be able to do anything about it -if they fight this alone like they're doing.

Comment

Sorry, I forget to put the smiles. That was a black humor.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFirst View Post
                        Sorry, I forget to put the smiles. That was a black humor.
                        Ohhhh lol :P

Comment

Eduard Kokoity, head of the rebel government in South Ossetia, said that 1,400 people were killed in the province, according to Russia's Interfax news agency.
                          Per Mobbme's link, that number seems a bit high for just one day of fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by pravin View Post
                            Will NATO ATTACK RUSSIA NOW?
                            Please. We didn't attack them when they threatened Europe for 50 years - we're not going to attack them over what is essentially an internal border dispute. Both sides are welcome to blast their T-72s into rust all over those mountainsides and valleys to their hearts' content as far as I'm concerned.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by Herodotus View Post
                              Per Mobbme's link, that number seems a bit high for just one day of fighting.
                              Keeping in mind that the Georgians used Grad's, howitzers, bombers and helos against the little town populated by 30,000 citizens this is possible. Though I hope this number is overestimated.

Comment

So who really started it?

Georgia's fait accompli failed

Snippet:
                                Georgia’s main aim in its offensive in South Ossetia appears to have been a swift advance on the separatist capital Tskhinvali to seize Ossetian territory and achieve a fait accompli before Russia is able to respond.

The timing may have been chosen to coincide with Vladimir Putin’s visit to Beijing for the Olympic Opening Ceremony. Given Mr Putin’s significant role in Russian foreign policy, Georgia may have hoped that his absence would slow down any Russian response.
                                "Of all the manifestations of power, restraint impresses men the most." - Thucydides

Comment

Working...
                                X