Iran tests new weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran tests new weapon

Hey everyone! I'm trying to post the link, but I'm having problems!
    Maybe someone can help!
    Anyways, the news is reporting that Iran has tested a new weapon that would be able to sink ships around 200 miles away.
    This comes a couple of days after Iran was suppose to respond to it's nuclear weapons program.

I have a couple of questions...........
    "I'm sorry if I can't follow what is always happening in the world today, and I'm not no military expert, but................."
    "For a country that can't massively produce its own air force, navy, etc, and relies on Russia and China for it's weapons, how are they able to developer a weapon to sink ship up to 200 miles away?"
    My personal belief is that Iran is trying to scare the rest of the world by making up false statements because 40% of all oil is transported thru the Straits of Hormuz.
    What do you think?
    Is Iran able to test a new weapon able to sink a ship from 200 miles away, while it can't even develop it's own navy, air force, ect..??

Thanks!

I suspect most of these claims are to bolster their own morale and to jolt the oil market. They know they can't hurt the USN. We know they can't hurt the USN. But we all know a few words of "possible armed conflict" can send the oil up by $5 a barrel in one day.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      I suspect most of these claims are to bolster their own morale and to jolt the oil market. They know they can't hurt the USN. We know they can't hurt the USN. But we all know a few words of "possible armed conflict" can send the oil up by $5 a barrel in one day.
      Kinda funny huh?! At the same time oil droped to around $120! Your probably right!

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        Didn't an Iranian mine almost sink a US vessel in the Straight of Hormuz in the 80s? Seems like they could hurt it a little bit anyway.
        Smells like napalm, tastes like chicken!

Comment

I think they might be referring to kamikazes who will start on their coast towards USN battle group 200 miles away. They havent used it, so its new for them.

Comment

Originally posted by USAF View Post
            I think they might be referring to kamikazes who will start on their coast towards USN battle group 200 miles away. They haven't used it, so its new for them.
            That's funny!! What kinda weapon would it be though? 200 miles for a torpedo is a long way..........My best guess would be some sort of a anti-ship missile.
            "IF" Iran did develop a weapon like this, doesn't the U.S. navy have a defense?
            Also, I know that Iran has subs, but in the case of WAR, wouldn't the U.S. send a massive amount of attack subs to keep the Straits open?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Bella View Post
              Hey everyone! I'm trying to post the link, but I'm having problems!
              Maybe someone can help!
              Anyways, the news is reporting that Iran has tested a new weapon that would be able to sink ships around 200 miles away.
              This comes a couple of days after Iran was suppose to respond to it's nuclear weapons program.
              It's probalby the new cruise missile they are working on. Its a rebuilt silkworm with greater range, better inertial guidance, and an air breathing motor but still sub sonic.

I have a couple of questions...........
              "I'm sorry if I can't follow what is always happening in the world today, and I'm not no military expert, but................."
              "For a country that can't massively produce its own air force, navy, etc, and relies on Russia and China for it's weapons, how are they able to developer a weapon to sink ship up to 200 miles away?"
              They build fighters, tanks, turboprops, MRBM, SRBM, IFV's, helicopters, advanced anti-ship missiles, submarines, radars etc. Thier stuff isn't first rate by any means but they can build most things they can get an example of.

My personal belief is that Iran is trying to scare the rest of the world by making up false statements because 40% of all oil is transported thru the Straits of Hormuz.
              What do you think?
              Enough second and third rate equipment is still a threat.

Is Iran able to test a new weapon able to sink a ship from 200 miles away, while it can't even develop it's own navy, air force, ect..??

Thanks!
              They have one of the largest fleets of fast attack craft in the world, one of the largest inventories of sea mines including rocket mines, can keep the F-14 flying, have cloned the Cobra attack Helicopter etc. Iran is not Iraq.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                Its a rebuilt silkworm with greater range, better inertial guidance, and an air breathing motor but still sub sonic.
                How much of a threat would this weapon pose to a modern warship in the straights? Could modern warships shield tanker traffic from a silkworm-type missile? How detectable/vulnerable are the launch sites?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by GAU-8 View Post
                  How much of a threat would this weapon pose to a modern warship in the straights? Could modern warships shield tanker traffic from a silkworm-type missile? How detectable/vulnerable are the launch sites?

Thanks.
                  The missile is still in development but my guess is it will eventually be fitted to trucks and Su-24's. So not very vulnerable to counterforce operations vs the missile itself.

As far as tankers go, the SEARam should cook these things to order. But again every new Iranian missile requires 2 new allied missiles to stop it unless we can scramble its guidance.

Comment

Posted by zraver: Enough second and third rate equipment is still a threat.

If that is the case, is it wiser for the U.S. to build a massive amount of 2nd and 3rd rate weapons just to save money to overwhelm an enemy?
                    Or build 1st rate weapons that limit the damage of 2nd and 3rd grade equipment?
                    Shoot, I know that an civil war cannon will damage to a new destroyer, but............

Comment

Originally posted by Bella View Post
                      Posted by zraver: Enough second and third rate equipment is still a threat.

If that is the case, is it wiser for the U.S. to build a massive amount of 2nd and 3rd rate weapons just to save money to overwhelm an enemy?
                      Or build 1st rate weapons that limit the damage of 2nd and 3rd grade equipment?
                      Shoot, I know that an civil war cannon will damage to a new destroyer, but............
                      A threat does not automatically mean success. If we build enough of the right 1st rate stuff and use it properly we should win. However using less than 1st rate stuff means even if you win, you paid with more blood than you might have otherwise. The US would rather spend treasure than blood, Iran can only spend blood so its a different game for each.

Comment

Originally posted by GAU-8 View Post

Thanks.
                        I've got to think the tankers wouldn't take the risk. Even if the US had a very good chance of shielding a tanker it would be a very big problem if even one got through to an unarmored tanker carrying a full load of oil.
                        Smells like napalm, tastes like chicken!

Comment

Originally posted by Traxus View Post
                          I've got to think the tankers wouldn't take the risk. Even if the US had a very good chance of shielding a tanker it would be a very big problem if even one got through to an unarmored tanker carrying a full load of oil.
                          Risk is quantified via insurance rates and price increases. As long as there is profit to be made, or a national government willing to risk its ships the passage will be attempted by someone. Historically the merchant mariners of the world carry around a couple of big brass ones if you know what I mean.

Comment

If tensions continue to build, do you guys think that the U.S. would be poised to send more attack subs, and surface vessels to the Straits to keep them safe?

Comment

Im a little skeptical about the news but im certain that such a weapon is being developed.

Comment

Working...
                              X