Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC-XX Gunship Lite Prototype: A C-27J “Baby Spooky”

AC-XX Gunship Lite Prototype: A C-27J “Baby Spooky”

Aviation Week’s aerospace daily and defense report notes that the Pentagon’s 2008 budget reprogramming request includes $32 million from Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC), in order to buy a C-27J and convert it into a small prototype AC-XX gunship, using “proven/known” weapons and systems. Additions are certain to include defensive systems, electro-optical surveillance and targeting turrets, flight and/or ground surveillance radars, weapons, and computerized control systems. Based on known airframe and conversion costs for the C-27J and other platforms, further funding for the AC-XX effort will almost certainly be required in FY 2010.

AFSOC has become concerned about its AC-130 gunships’ long-term survivability, and is investigating a number of options [PDF format] including smaller aircraft and even stealth designs. The C-27J is certainly smaller, and an AC-27J would trade less firepower for the ability to operate from smaller airstrips closer to the action. It can also serve as a systems integration platform to help define the current state of the art, without sidelining in-demand AC-130s for a long refit period.

All of which may help to explain why AFSOC, who fields the $100+ million AC-130H/U gunships based on the larger C-130 Hercules tactical transport, also wants $11.5 million to execute an AC-XX feasibility study and engineering analyses. Overall:

“This prototype will serve as a risk mitigation effort to field a new platform to operate in austere locations, with increased operational flexibility and a smaller support tail of manpower and logistics.”
    I really like this, could turn into a really nice, but above all cheap tool.

Said it before, I'll say it again:

AC-17, with M-777 and GAU-8, plus 50mm Bushmaster for good measure. Nothing less will do.

MOOOOOAAAR FIREPOWAAAAR!!!!!!
    HD Ready?

Comment

And I keep on saying, arm it with rail guns.

Comment

Originally posted by HistoricalDavid View Post

AC-17, with M-777 and GAU-8, plus 50mm Bushmaster for good measure. Nothing less will do.

Remind me, how much does a basic C-17 cost?
        Now add on conversion costs, and trials. Not even the US can afford to do that.
        Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by HistoricalDavid View Post

You want more firepower? AC47's with davy crocketts that is more firepower!

Comment

I don't think this is a bad concept; certainly there are not enough AC-130 out there, and a smaller supplemental platform (maybe w/o the 105) might be an option for supporting conventional units in an expeditionary/COIN role.

I wonder if we could come up with a carrier-decked version (again, probably without the 105) based on the C-2 or P-3? That's just me talking crazy, of course, but as an Infantryman I like having support close and potent.

Comment

for carrier what about a V-22 osprey? or even in theater and osprey gunship?

Comment

I like the idea... I'm not sure how workable it is, but it might be great. I didn't even think of the V-22 when I was pulling the last idea out of my fourth point of contact.

Comment

How about a AC-5 ?

Comment

Working...
                  X