Thread: 'World at War' WW2 Documentary DVD set

'World at War' WW2 Documentary DVD set

Hey all! I haven't posted in a while. How is everyone doing?

Iíve been considering getting a World War 2 documentary on DVD, and my research on this subject so far has yielded several results.

Apparently 'World at War' is THE definitive WW2 documentary out there. It was produced in 1974 & itís supposed to be superbly insightful, objective and contains fantastic footage of actual combat. At least the reviews say so!

There are also interviews with many veterans and politicians who played a part in the war.

The documentary consists of 26 50-minute episodes. The episodes cover the major campaigns (of all theatres) of WW2 and also includes stories of Nazi occupation & also details the planning and execution of the Final Solution. And many more.

It sounds really good and well worth the money.

Does anyone have it? If so do you recommend it?

What other WW2 documentaries are worth giving consideration to? BBC's 'History of World War II' looks good but not as good as 'World at War'.

Thanks!
    Nebula82.

Military Professional
    [QUOTE=nebula82;523730]Hey all! I haven't posted in a while. How is everyone doing?

Iíve been considering getting a World War 2 documentary on DVD, and my research on this subject so far has yielded several results.

Apparently 'World at War' is THE definitive WW2 documentary out there. It was produced in 1974 & itís supposed to be superbly insightful, objective and contains fantastic footage of actual combat. At least the reviews say so!

There are also interviews with many veterans and politicians who played a part in the war.

The documentary consists of 26 50-minute episodes. The episodes cover the major campaigns (of all theatres) of WW2 and also includes stories of Nazi occupation & also details the planning and execution of the Final Solution. And many more.

What other WW2 documentaries are worth giving consideration to? BBC's 'History of World War II' looks good but not as good as 'World at War'.

It sounds familiar. Do you know who is responsible for making it (and retailing it)? Of course in the time given they could do little more than skate over the surface of a drama that occupied the world for 5 years.
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Regular

Look no Further - Just Buy It!

You do not need to look any further. The "World at War" series is phenominal. Buy it (You WILL NOT EVER regret it!). In the past, I have relied heavily upon the Academic collections of Educational Institutions - but it is my intention to purchase it at some point.

The Sheer scale of it (4 Million GBPs to make - in 1974 terms [69-72 Production]) is absolutely outstanding. Interviews with key players (those who were still alive at the time) and the quality, quantity and variety of both research AND footage make it the epitomy of the WW2 Chronicalling Genre. That Iconic Carl Davis Score.....and Narrated by Sir Lawrence Olivier to boot!

The are only two drawbacks:

1) The size of the collection can make it expensive (but, ultimately worth it)

2) Certain aspects of the war had not yet been de-classified at the time (ULTRA etc....). This affects the analysis on some critial areas (Battle of the Atlantic etc). However, there are other alternatives to find out that information missing from the WAW series.

Regards,

Brett.
    Last edited by Enterpriser; 30 Jul 08, at 16:07.

[QUOTE=glyn;523741]
    Quote Originally Posted by nebula82 View Post
    Hey all! I haven't posted in a while. How is everyone doing?

It sounds familiar. Do you know who is responsible for making it (and retailing it)? Of course in the time given they could do little more than skate over the surface of a drama that occupied the world for 5 years.
    Thames Television of the UK. I've already seen this box set in my local HMV store here. It's also available on Amazon.

Nebula82.

Quote Originally Posted by Enterpriser View Post
    You do not need to look any further. The "World at War" series is phenominal. Buy it (You WILL NOT EVER regret it!). In the past, I have relied heavily upon the Academic collections of Educational Institutions - but it is my intention to purchase it at some point.

The Sheer scale of it (4 Million GBPs to make - in 1974 terms [69-72 Production]) is absolutely outstanding. Interviews with key players (those who were still alive at the time) and the quality, quantity and variety of both research AND footage make it the epitomy of the WW2 Chronicalling Genre. That Iconic Carl Davis Score.....and Narrated by Sir Lawrence Olivier to boot!

The are only two drawbacks:

1) The size of the collection can make it expensive (but, ultimately worth it)

2) Certain aspects of the war had not yet been de-classified at the time (ULTRA etc....). This affects the analysis on some critial areas (Battle of the Atlantic etc). However, there are other alternatives to find out that information missing from the WAW series.

Regards,

Brett.
    Well, looks like this documentary has your seal of approval

I saw a copy of it in HMV the other day & it's the 30th anniversary special edition version too!

Very tempted to get it now!

Thx,
    Nebula82.

Official Thread Jacker Senior Contributor gunnut's Avatar
    DPRK, Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    I've seen most of the series on History Channel when it was the "History" channel. Excellent series.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnut View Post
    I've seen most of the series on History Channel when it was the "History" channel.
    As opposed to the now-revamped 'Reality' Channel?
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Official Thread Jacker Senior Contributor gunnut's Avatar
    DPRK, Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Quote Originally Posted by TopHatter View Post
    As opposed to the now-revamped 'Reality' Channel?
    I wouldn't mind if they did Ice Road Truckers 50 years ago or Tougher in Alaska 100 years ago or Axemen 200 years ago.

Some shows on History Channel are still pretty good like Modern Marvels and The Barbarians.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Defense Professional Dreadnought's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnut View Post
    I wouldn't mind if they did Ice Road Truckers 50 years ago or Tougher in Alaska 100 years ago or Axemen 200 years ago.

Some shows on History Channel are still pretty good like Modern Marvels and The Barbarians.
    Agreed, But the Military Channel still rules.) I do very much like Modern Marvels and the History Channel.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Anything narrated by David Ackroyd or Will Lyman is always on my watch list
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Military Professional
    [QUOTE=nebula82;523786]Well, looks like this documentary has your seal of approval

I saw a copy of it in HMV the other day & it's the 30th anniversary special edition version too!

Very tempted to get it now!

As Hong Kong is the cheapest place I know to go shopping you find yourself in a most fortunate position. How much does it cost there?
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

In Memoriam Military Professional dave lukins's Avatar
    The series narrated by Laurence Olivier is presently being shown in the UK

In Memoriam/OAF-Old Aggravating Fart Senior Contributor Shamus's Avatar
    Nebula,this series is one of the main causes of my fasicination with WWII history.Admittedly a military history geek,these programs drew me in like a moth to a flame.I couldn't wait for the next installment to air.If you decide to purchase the series I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Regular
    A little dated just in its feel, but saw it recently and still worth it.

Thread Information