No announcement yet.

Favorite War Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read my first post on this thread for a quick description and then click here for all that you wanted to know about it. Just don't read the reviews otherwise it might spoil the movie for you, in case you can get it on Amazon.com
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

There seem to be some Hebrew names in the cast. Chaim, Avi, Moshe, David, Yitzchack, etc...
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Those are Hebrew names?? Get the hell outta here! *ducks for cover*:dbanana
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

ZULU "What makes you think I could stomach this slaughterhouse more than once?"

GO TELL THE SPARTANS with Burt Lancaster- gritty Vietnam- almost everybody dies pointlessly

APRIL MORNING Tommy Lee Jones & Rip Torn "Lad, There's not a road in New England today that doesn't lead to british graves."

The movie they should have made:

GALLOPING GHOST The heroic/tragic story of the U.S.S. Houston (and the whole forsaken Asiatic fleet) facing the seemingly unstoppable Japanese juggernaut.
          sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Agreed, hardly anybody knows anything about the Asiatic Fleet and the stories about them range from the sad to the macabre.

Comment

Luna,

"The Lost Battalion"

That about the US battalion in Russia?

Comment

Big Red One(Beyond a classic, Lee Marvin and Mark Hamil, and my personal favorite)

The Beast(GREAT, GREAT movie about a russkie tank crew in Afdirtistan- MUST see movie).

Zulu(A true tale of epic scope and heroism)

Saving Private Ryan(Glad i wasn't at Omaha Beach....WOW! Also the best portrayal of the employment of a US squad level sniper in WWII ever filmed)

The Longest Day(D-Day again)

We were soldiers(SgtMajor Basil Plumley. Need i say more?)

Apocolypse now(Has there ever been a better portrayal of a cavalryman then Colonel Bill Killgore?)

The Iron Cross(another pure WWII classic)

Johnny got his gun(Inspiration for the Metallica song 'One')

CrashHawk down(Actual battle much, much worse than depicted)

A Bridge to Far(Murphy's law in action)

Patton(George C. Scott is awesome in the role)

Glory(Civil war flick with Denzel, Ferris, and Freeman)

Last of the Mohicans(Directors cut has excellent period battlescenes)

Comment

Bill Kilgore was THE best character in A. Now, and the village assault scene was one of the best ever put to film.
                  TRIVIA TIME: Anybody know who played pilot of Kilgore's Huey?

Comment

Dude, that banana won't save you every time...
                    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86
                      Dude, that banana won't save you every time...
                      Moi ? Why, whatever do you mean? :angel

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                        Luna,

"The Lost Battalion"

That about the US battalion in Russia?
                        Nope. The one 'Tock saw. Was a Battalion that got cut off by Germans, after French Forces weren't able to keep up with them. This battle took place in the Argorne Forest.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86
                          I hate and despise LOTR with all my heart. Anyone who's ever read David Eddings' Belgariad, Mallorean, Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress will understand why.
                          Never heard of those. Must be some choice imitations to stay away from.

Like both the movies that are out so far. Partly because of being a Christopher Lee & John Rhys-Davies fan, for as long as I can remember.

Just started reading Fellowship. And the stories starting to gain momentum.

Comment

Lord of the Rings kicks ass.

My Cousins wife is a huge fan of Polgara.

OK Tock, you're talking about the battle where the japanese volunteer regiment wiped itself out saving the American battalion, right?

Who was Killgore's chopper pilot?

"YOU ARE NOT MARINES! YOU ARE ALL NOTHING BUT GRAB-ASSTIC PIECES OF AMBHIBIOUS SHIT!"

:)

Comment

The Lost Battalion by A&E is about the battle in the Argonne Forest, France by the 77 Liberty Div. 200 out of 600 men survive that battle.

Comment

You should also check out Gallipoli, starring Mel Gibson and directed by Peter Wier.

It focuses on the Australian charge at The Nek, and is pretty much staple fare for TV every ANZAC Day. I doubt whether you would have acess to it, but if you can, its well worth a watch.
                                SWANSEA 'TILL I DIE! - CARN THE CROWS!

Rule Britannia, No Surrender

Staff Cadet in the Australian Army Reserve.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Working...
                                X