Bystanders Ignore Hit-and-Run Victim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bystanders Ignore Hit-and-Run Victim

I can't believe people just stood by and watched him lay helpless in the streets!

By STEPHEN SINGER,AP
    Posted: 2008-06-06 07:09:34
    Filed Under: Nation News
    HARTFORD, Conn. (June 5) - A 78-year-old man is tossed like a rag doll by a hit-and-run driver and lies motionless on a busy city street as car after car goes by. Pedestrians gawk but do nothing. One driver stops briefly but then pulls back into traffic. A man on a scooter slowly circles the victim before zipping away.

The chilling scene - captured on video by a streetlight surveillance camera - has touched off a round of soul-searching in Hartford, with the capital city's biggest newspaper blaring "SO INHUMANE" on the front page and the police chief lamenting: "We no longer have a moral compass."

"We have no regard for each other," said Chief Daryl Roberts, who released the video this week in hopes of making an arrest in the daylight accident last Friday that left Angel Arce Torres in critical condition.

The hit-and-run took place about 5:45 p.m. in a working-class neighborhood close to downtown in this city of 125,000.

In the video, Torres walks in the two-way street just blocks from the state Capitol after buying milk at a grocery. A tan Toyota and a dark Honda that is apparently chasing it cross the center line, and Torres is struck by the Honda. Both cars then dart down a side street.

Several cars pass Torres as a few people stare from the sidewalk. Some approach Torres, but most stay put until a police cruiser responding to an unrelated call arrives on the scene after about a minute and a half.

The police chief told The Hartford Courant that he was unsure whether anyone called 911.

"Like a dog they left him there," said a disgusted Jose Cordero, 37, who was with friends Thursday not far from where Torres was struck. Robert Luna, who works at a store nearby, said: "Nobody did nothing."

One witness, Bryant Hayre, told the Courant he didn't feel comfortable helping Torres, who he said was bleeding and conscious.

The accident - and bystanders' callousness - dominated morning radio talk shows.

"It was one of the most despicable things I've seen by one human being to another," the Rev. Henry Brown, a community activist, said in an interview. "I don't understand the mind-set anymore. It's kind of mind-boggling. We're supposed to help each other. You see somebody fall, you want to offer a helping hand."

The victim's son, Angel Arce, begged the public for help in finding the driver. "My father is fighting for his life," he said.

The hit-and-run is the second violent crime to shock Hartford this week. On Monday, former Deputy Mayor Nicholas Carbone, 71, was beaten and robbed while walking to breakfast. He remains hospitalized and faces brain surgery.

"There was a time they would have helped that man across the street. Now they mug and assault him," police chief said. "Anything goes."

Councilman Matthew Ritter said police can do only so much.

"The citizens are the city," he said. "Everybody has a part to play. Call 911 and reach out."

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
    sigpic

At the rist of sounding inhumane, I must ask, why was he walking nonchalantly in the middle of a rather busy street? He wasn't crossing it. He was walking in the street. Of course the 2 cars that crossed the double-yellow were at fault, but why was he walking in the middle of a busy street?
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      At the rist of sounding inhumane, I must ask, why was he walking nonchalantly in the middle of a rather busy street? He wasn't crossing it. He was walking in the street. Of course the 2 cars that crossed the double-yellow were at fault, but why was he walking in the middle of a busy street?
      Agreed, I mean at the end of the day it's still the drivers fault. However, people need to take more care when crossing the road. Most of the time, pedestrians can only blame themselves when hit by a car. It doesn't matter if a car is travelling at 10 or 100mph, don't be an idiot and walk infront of it (not saying this guy did, but I'm just saying in general)

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        He was 78 maybe he was senile, or confused or something. It doesn't matter though; pedestrians are helpless against cars-they always, always, always have the right of way even when walking in the middle of the street. A few weeks ago I saw a girl get hit by a taxi in a round-about, she was also in the middle of the street. I rushed over to help her, and the taxi did stop, but then took off again. She refused medical or police care but she was okay and walked away on her own. Out of dozens of by-standers, I and only one other offered her help, pretty sickening.

Comment

Originally posted by King Six View Post
          Agreed, I mean at the end of the day it's still the drivers fault. However, people need to take more care when crossing the road. Most of the time, pedestrians can only blame themselves when hit by a car. It doesn't matter if a car is travelling at 10 or 100mph, don't be an idiot and walk infront of it (not saying this guy did, but I'm just saying in general)
          I think the major issue here is: why didn't anyone bother to help a seriously injured person lying on the road? It's inexcusable to leave another person in such a situation, I think, regardless of whether he was jaywalking or whatnot.

Comment

Americans are sue happy. Touch a person and take the risk of getting sued, happens all the time and that is why that 78 year old man laid there without help. People too afraid of losing everything they own since the mans family might take them to court for some superflous infraction.
            Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

from what the newsreports said, apparently the place where it happened was a pretty ghetto place; people were either indifferent or didn't want to be seen as a snitch to the cops.
              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

The more you infantilize the populace with the nanny state - taking responsibility for important decisions away from the individual and telling them the government will do everything, the more they will act like kids, waiting for the "adults" to show up and "do everything". In addition, with the litigious nature of this society, there's a perceived risk for "getting involved". This is nothing new. Look up Kitty Genovese.
                "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." - Emiliano Zapata

Comment

Originally posted by Kalvan View Post
                  The more you infantilize the populace with the nanny state - taking responsibility for important decisions away from the individual and telling them the government will do everything, the more they will act like kids, waiting for the "adults" to show up and "do everything". In addition, with the litigious nature of this society, there's a perceived risk for "getting involved". This is nothing new. Look up Kitty Genovese.
                  Nanny state? I read of a girl ( a foreign tourist ) being raped in a major US city in full view of hundreds of people. Not one person went to her aid. Now an elderly man is knocked down by a car and again nobody wanted to be involved. Disgusting. What is wrong with people today?
                  Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

I was driving through Austria today and was passing Salzburg when a deer ran across the Autobahn, it made it into the second lane and that was all, rag dolled and thrown away, all in slow motion.

I don't mind shooting something and seeing it die, but watching things hit by vehicles is horrible.

As to the incident in the US., what with AIDS and other contagious illnesses being rife I would have to consider what to do (and fast), but a quick call to the emergency services would be the very least that I could do.

Tony.
                    Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

"In the end, we are not known by our names, so much as by our actions." (I cannot at this time remember who said this.)

Is this how these bystanders wish to be remembered? Not I. I would have taken action--beyond the mere phoning of authorities. But then again, I'm a member of that shrinking portion of our society who try to treat everyone as we would like our Grandmothers treated. Shame on those people!
                      If you know the enemy and yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                        Americans are sue happy. Touch a person and take the risk of getting sued, happens all the time and that is why that 78 year old man laid there without help. People too afraid of losing everything they own since the mans family might take them to court for some superflous infraction.
                        Yes. The Good Samaritan instinct has been flayed out of us by a generation of lawsuits.

Years ago in college I helped a woman up who slipped on the ice in front of me and whammed flat on her back. No hesitation. Now... I wonder if I'd do the same so quickly.

-dale
                        Last edited by dalem; 06 Jun 08,, 22:44.

Comment

just wondering, has the u.s. any law that punishes refusing of giving first aid/calling for aid?

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                            Would you have walked by and not done anything?
                            To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                              Yes. The Good Samaritan instinct has been flayed out of us by a generation of lawsuits.

-dale
                              People in big cities have always seemed more callous. When I was 12 I watched a man die of a seizure in a little park in downtown DC and no one did anything. That was in 1951. It might be because large city centers have a faster pace of life or because no one knows anyone on the street. In small towns and rural areas, a dozen people would have rushed to help, directing traffic, making the victim comfortable...
                              To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Working...
                              X