Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was the USSR a real threat during the Cold War?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was the USSR a real threat during the Cold War?

What I'm asking is, did they really have the capacity to destroy the Western nations/USA? Discuss please

Current World Nuclear Arsenals
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Lehrigen View Post
      What I'm asking is, did they really have the capacity to destroy the Western nations/USA? Discuss please
      Yes. They had the nuclear capacity to destroy Europe/US and the conventional capacity to have had a very good run at conquering Europe in the 1970s.
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
        Yes. They had the nuclear capacity to destroy Europe/US and the conventional capacity to have had a very good run at conquering Europe in the 1970s.

Damn you Shek, ya just beat me to it, and in virtually the same words.;)

I would have added that Russian Chem & Bio weapons could also have made swathes of Western Europe unliveable.

Plus they could have put a nasty dent in China's population if it had come to that.

All in all a genuine threat.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Question Reveals Perspective Gulf

Impossible to acknowledge the patently obvious if you lived during that period. There's the same hint of historical revisionism in this question that I see among some of our younger European posters about this particular period generally.

An interesting phenomena.
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
            Impossible to acknowledge the patently obvious if you lived during that period. There's the same hint of historical revisionism in this question that I see among some of our younger European posters about this particular period generally.

An interesting phenomena.
            Rebellion against their elders matey, bit like the hippies. Denying the old realities, trying to define new ones that discredit the old authority.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
              Rebellion against their elders matey, bit like the hippies. Denying the old realities, trying to define new ones that discredit the old authority.

Now now Pari, historical revisionism is hardly the sole province of the left.

Indeed, our late unlamented PM claimed his favourite 'historian' (actually a writer of history) was a chap called Keith Windschuttle. In a piece of revisionism that would make even David Irving blush mr Windschuttle claimed that only 112 Tasmanian Aboriginies had been killed by settlers. Ever. he later revised this up to 120. This claim has made him the darling of conservative Australia, which still wants to believe that Australia was Terra Nullius (empty) in 1788.

At least when lefties make up stuff we try to make it remotely credible.
              sigpic

Comment

Parihaka Reply

"...bit like the hippies."

Ahhhh, a comfortable context.

"Denying the old realities, trying to define new ones that discredit the old authority."

Reality punches like Muhammad Ali in his prime, wouldn't you agree?
                "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                  Now now Pari, historical revisionism is hardly the sole province of the left.

Indeed, our late unlamented PM claimed his favourite 'historian' (actually a writer of history) was a chap called Keith Windschuttle. In a piece of revisionism that would make even David Irving blush mr Windschuttle claimed that only 112 Tasmanian Aboriginies had been killed by settlers. Ever. he later revised this up to 120. This claim has made him the darling of conservative Australia, which still wants to believe that Australia was Terra Nullius (empty) in 1788.

At least when lefties make up stuff we try to make it remotely credible.
                  Yes, I've read old Keith, prefer George MacDonald Fraser myself. If you're going to make things up around history you might as well be intelligent about it.
                  Did I mention that there's hippies, then there's Hippies? I was referring to the ones whose sole aim was to piss their parents off, rather than the ones exploring the perimeters.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
                    "...bit like the hippies."

Ahhhh, a comfortable context.

"Denying the old realities, trying to define new ones that discredit the old authority."

Reality punches like Muhammad Ali in his prime, wouldn't you agree?
                    A good friend described it as being hit on the back of the head by the golden brick of the buddha. The universe is a hard and beautiful place.

Leibniz

Comment

This links nicely with an earlier thread:

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/wes...bout-ussr.html

USSR was never a threat. It was just lies perpetrated by the evil corporations hell-bent on destroying the happy hippie's way of life. If USSR had taken over the world then there would be no need for money. We'd be like, working for what we need instead of what we want. Our purpose in life would become the pursuit of knowledge to enrich ourselves. Think of a world with no whites and blacks, no jews and arabs, no christians and muslims, no rich and poor, just people trying to better this world. This is change we can believe in.

SI SE PUEDE!!!

"Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

gunnut Reply

Don't screw w/ my militarist "WAH" like that, man. I had my head in a real cool killing place after reading BadgerBoy and now you've killed it with this crass cynicism.

What up wit dat?:))

Comment

Simple explanation:

I just can't get the South Park 9th season episode "Die, Hippie, Die" out of my head.
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                            Yes, I've read old Keith, prefer George MacDonald Fraser myself. If you're going to make things up around history you might as well be intelligent about it.
                            Did I mention that there's hippies, then there's Hippies? I was referring to the ones whose sole aim was to piss their parents off, rather than the ones exploring the perimeters.

You've read Keith! Good God man, did you lose a bet?

Being a glutton for punishment I've actually read some stuff he wrote before he started making up stuff about aboriginies, including when he was a committed Marxist. He isn't improving, though his friends dress better now.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                              Our purpose in life would become the pursuit of knowledge to enrich ourselves.
                              Reminds me of Star Trek!!

Comment

Working...
                              X