MP-3 player recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP-3 player recommendations

Gentlemen (and ladies), My walkman has died Instead of upgrading to a "Discman" the wife has convinced me that an MP-3 player is the way to go.

So what I need is a few recommendations from some of you old hands.

It needs to be pretty rugged. May sit in my truck for long periods on hot days.

I want a FM tuner. Not interested in playing movies but there are some Youtube videos I would like to at least listen too. So just something that will display song/album info is good enough.

Also what is the best program to transfer my CDs to my computer? I've used "RealPlayer" and it seems to hang up after 5-7 songs. To the point that I sometimes need to reboot. WMP works pretty good. Hangs up every once in a while.

I would like to go as cheap as I can. Why spend $300 when I can get the same features for $100?

Recommendations?

Much as i hate to succumb to Fanboidom get an Apple itouch, i used a friend's recently when he visited India and it was great.
    The 8gb model should still be around my friend got his for somewhere near $300

Oh also as tophatter mentioned dont leave any electronic device in a car. Sun's heat kills them.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bolo121; 27 May 08,, 05:57.
    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
      It needs to be pretty rugged. May sit in my truck for long periods on hot days.
      Any electronic device with a Lithium-ion battery will cook in car during a Florida summer, reducing it's life. :(

I would like to go as cheap as I can. Why spend $300 when I can get the same features for $100?
      That FM tuner might be what drives you up to a more pricey model, not sure.

You also want to pay very close attention to how many songs you have to put on it. Two or three hundred songs may sound like a lot, but trust me, it ain't. So go for a large capacity model over a small one any day.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

i pod touch is a nice one, i got one for my wife, great toy, it's got wi fi, movie player..ect.
        but i hate the fact that you can,t connect to a comp. with no i tunes, hate the fact that you have to pay for over the phone customer service (first call is free), anything from apple that starts with an i sounds like a rip off to me.
        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
          anything from apple that starts with an i sounds like a rip off to me.
          Ain't gonna argue with that :(
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

What you want is the Zune music player. it is not as picky as an ipod when it comes to compatible uploading software and would support either "Real Player" or WMP. It has 30g which I am sure is more space than you will ever need (even with your favorite movies). It has a radio in it and is very cheap if you buy the previous generation rather than the updated model. My brother picked up a refurbished one in perfect condition for about $100. Pretty rugged design in comparison to the ipod touch as well... Basically it is exactly what you want.

Comment

What about a Zune? I guess they're the latest craze! The neat thing about the Zune is that you can do "music share".
              “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
              "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks everyone

Do any of you have an opinion on the Creative Lab Zens?

I know they were the industry standard for sound cards back in the day.

How are their MP-3 players?

Comment

Do any of you have an opinion on the Creative Lab Zens?
                  From what I'm told they are somewhat outdated, they are lagging behind technologically in comparison to the Zune and Ipod Mp4 players. Gun Grape you sound like a man that needs a Zune. ;)

Comment

If you dont want to use itunes there are plenty of freeware substitutes nowadays. I personally use songbird.
                    The zune is ok but from what i hear its supposed to be full of DRM crap.
                    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Sir I believe this might be the perfect MP3 player for you:

SanDisk Sansa e280 8GB MP3 Player w/FM/Voice Record (Black) SanDisk SDMX4-8192

As far as CD ripper goes, you can try this:

Free CD Ripper - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                        Sir I believe this might be the perfect MP3 player for you:

SanDisk Sansa e280 8GB MP3 Player w/FM/Voice Record (Black) SanDisk SDMX4-8192

As far as CD ripper goes, you can try this:

Free CD Ripper - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com
                        i have sansa 4gb, i like it, it plays videos, records from mic. and radio, decent battery life, no software needed. slot for mini sd card

there are drawbacks, if 1 file that you uploaded in it, is corrapted the player will freeze, and you,ll need to format it and reload, worst thing you don,t know which file was bad and coused freez up, it doesn,t happen often, i had it happen twice, i blame downloaded files,
                        menu, song list, artist list aren,t as easy and accsesable as in i pod, but once you get used to it it is fine,

correction not mini sd but micro sd card
                        Last edited by omon; 28 May 08,, 17:36.
                        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

I suggest going for a Sony Ericsson Walkman series (W series) phone. Something along the lines of a W800 or 810i. That way you don't have to worry about carrying all sorts of different things with you. And you'll have your phone and MP3 player in one (also a camera). And it also has an FM tuner.

Why make things complicated? It's also simple to use, instead of going through iTunes and all that crap, all you really need to do is copy and paste directly into the folder (well that's what I do). You can buy higher capacity memory cards if you need more memory, and they also have bluetooth connectivity.

Comment

Thank you all.

I sort of went with GunNuts recommendation.

The SanDisk E series is no longer on the market. Instead I got a 8 gb SanDisk Sansa Fuze. Has a FM tuner and as a promotion came with an 8 gb miniSD card. A total of 16gb with the FM radio (that picks up more stations than the one in my truck) for less than $150.00 I did pick up a better set of earphones.

3 weeks into it and I wonder what took me so long:))

The only problem I have is gaps in the songs that I ripped from CDs.

To bad you cannot take all your CDs to some "Geeksquad" group and have them transfer all the songs, in working order for a small price.

Scratched CDs don't transfer easily:( And of course they are scratched because those are the ones I kept in the truck to listen to during the day) My favorites

Comment

Thank you all.

I sort of went with GunNuts recommendation.

The SanDisk E series is no longer on the market. Instead I got a 8 gb SanDisk Sansa Fuze. Has a FM tuner and as a promotion came with an 8 gb miniSD card. A total of 16gb with the FM radio (that picks up more stations than the one in my truck) for less than $150.00 I did pick up a better set of earphones.

3 weeks into it and I wonder what took me so long:))

The only problem I have is gaps in the songs that I ripped from CDs.

To bad you cannot take all your CDs to some "Geeksquad" group and have them transfer all the songs, in working order for a small price.

Scratched CDs don't transfer easily:( And of course they are scratched because those are the ones I kept in the truck to listen to during the day) My favorites
                              Which ones?
                              "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Working...
                              X