Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now its the Tsunami Song

Radio show hosts suspended for airing controversial tsunami song

The hosts of a morning radio show that aired a controversial song making light of the tsunami and its Asian victims have been suspended indefinitely.

The management of Hot 97 FM in New York enforced the decision eight days after the song was broadcast by Tarsha Nicole Jones, a radio show host who goes by the name Miss Jones.

The station had come under severe criticism from Asian-American groups and lawmakers.

"While Miss Jones has apologised on the air, in the media and on the HOT 97 website, station management felt stronger action was necessary to demonstrate the severity of the situation," read a statement on Hot 97's website.

The song, broadcast twice on January 18 during 'Miss Jones in the Morning' programme, was a parody of We Are The World.

An Asian-American staff member, known as Miss Info, voiced her opposition to the song on the air, drawing a strong rebuke from Miss Jones.

"You probably feel you're superior because you're Asian, but you're not," said Miss Jones.

Emmis Communications, which owns the station, apologised for the incident and announced that all seven staff members of the morning show had agreed to contribute a week's pay to tsunami relief.

According to a station spokesperson, that penalty will stand in addition to the suspension.

In the company's statement, Emmis Radio president Rick Cummings said, "What happened is morally and socially indefensible. All involved, myself included, are ashamed and deeply sorry. I know the members of the morning show are truly contrite. They know their actions here are inexcusable."

On Thursday, Sprint announced it was suspending all advertising on the station. The company told rediff.com it had notified the station of its decision on January 26. McDonald's has also withdrawn its advertising.

According to Asian Media Watch, another version of the song featured the verse, 'I'm gonna start shooting Asians' in the background.

The song
    There was a time, when the sun was shining bright
    So I went down to the beach to catch me a tan.
    Then the next thing I knew, a wave 20 feet high
    Came and washed your whole country away.
    And all at once, you can hear the screaming *****s.
    And no one was saved from the wave.
    There were Africans drowning, little Chinamen swept away.
    You can hear God laughing 'Swim you *****es, swim.'

[Chorus]
    So now you're screwed. It's the tsunami,
    You better run and kiss you ass away, go find your mommy.
    I just saw her float by, a tree went through her head
    And now your children will be sold - child slavery.
    Source : http://us.rediff.com/news/2005/jan/27tsunami1.htm
    Last edited by Samudra; 28 Jan 05,, 10:23.

Whats so wrong with these hosts on radio ?

What am surprised by is that , how come such blatant non-sense be allowed to air on radio first ?
    Last edited by Samudra; 28 Jan 05,, 05:30.

Comment

Originally posted by SamudraGupta
      Whats so wrong with these hosts on radio ?

What am surprised by is that , how come such blatant non-sense be allowed to air on radio first ?
      I'n not asian. I'm not all that politically correct. I AM just disgusted that anyone would even write such a song, let alone play it on the air. If Janet's nipple was worth a few hundred K, this has got to be worth a million. Lets see if the FCC is as vehement about racism as it is about nipples.

If it were my radio station, both the host and the producer would be out on thier asses, not just suspended.
      "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than the democratic state itself. That in its essence is fascism: ownership of the government by an individual, by a group or any controlling private power."
      -- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Comment

They need psychaitric treatment, or they are just to desperate to get poplular. Their 30 seconds of fame...or infamy.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Unfortunately people in this world are always quick to make a few bucks on human suffering and this was no exception...Isn't there someone who controls the content of songs to be played???This cannot be excused...The countries affected should sue the beejibies out of the station..It win't do much but it would make people think first before they again do such an inhumane act...
          "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEMUN
            The countries affected should sue the beejibies out of the station..
            Litigation will lead to nothing, it would just make these miserable people poorer. Max they end up in jail. Is that what we want?...
            The care and concern shown by the american people, over shadows these jerks.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

What is in the heart forces its way to the tongue ever so often. Disgusting.

Comment

Another 'Jesus Saves' psycho.

They come and they will go.

Let it not upset you too much. chaps.

They are just a minority and such people will always be there no matter what you do and one can't blame the majority for them.

Look at the instant help the world has given the tsunami victims. Look at the good things.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

@Ray --- What does "Jesus Saves" people have to do with this radio station incident? Looks like you're acting like Nero, blaming the Christains for the burning of Rome.

Please explain,
                  Legend

Comment

I think I have to agree this time with Rambo,Ray...I don't think it has anything to do with Christians...I think God was just a word thrown in for effect...
                    "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

Comment

Not being an American myself let me plunge into area’s where political correctness may inhibit Americans from getting into.

Going by newspaper reporters Tarsha Nicole Jones and Todd Lynn are the major offenders DJ’s in this act.

Judging by pictures of these two individuals on googles cache of the FM station Hot 97’s page , both are Afro Americans.

A short while back there was the distasteful episode of two DJ’s harassing an Indian call center worker, which was discussed on this board.

Again both the DJ’s involved were Afro American.

So what’s up here? Can someone please explain?

Truly sad that the inspiration that the ideas of Mahatma Gandhi, an Indian and thus also Asian, provided to Martin Luther King’s campaign to demand equal rights for Afro American’s, is forgotten.

Comment

@Hari_Om --- The fact the radio people were black (is African-American always correct, what if they are Jamican-American?), isn't a big deal, we can't label a group because of two people. Do white people want to be associated to Howard Stern? He's got a foul mouth & uses racial/biggoted slurs all the time. These radio shock jocks use words to stir listeners for attention, thus money.

Comment

There are bad people everywhere, just change the station.
                          No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                          I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                          even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                          He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Mikemun,

Jesus Saves what I wrote has nothing to do with Christians.

It was just to say crazy folks.

Im ny country, we do have these logic devoid, wierdo believers who walk around punch drunk on religion with 'Jesus Saves' placards. Thank heavens, they are a rarity. Its immensely embarrassing to the Christians to see these guys walking around as if in a trance!

I am meaning those type of wierdos. Theyare in all religions. These Bimbos who think they alone have been willed the religion by God himself!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

@Ray --- Cool! You've got street preachers in India! Praise the Lord!

Comment

Working...
                              X