16-in Guns vs Hard Targets : A Reality Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by clyder View Post
    Yes but it should not be outwith technical possiblity to fit a modern guidance
    head to a tallboy. One would probably have to change the tailfin to remove
    the spin that Wallace designed into it. Then since the scrapping of
    the V-bombers there is nothing adapted to carry one.
    I'd imagine a C17 Globemaster III would have NO problems putting a Tallboy into it's cargo bay and having it pulled out like they do with the MOAB..

Comment

• Very interesting read !!! :)

Comment

• No one gets in before the dead chick this time
        Attached Files

Comment

• Tsk tsk......

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            No one gets in before the dead chick this time
            Mark this date on your calender!!

First time in a long while the Gunny got off his ass and did his job.

Comment

• The thread is over 3 years old.

Matt I see what the problem is
              Attached Files

Comment

• Way to go, Gunny!!!
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

• Now thats a broadside to bring the fleet to its knees...

But seriously - bringing this back to the top this thread was worthy of a kitten - I can remember when shipwreck went on a posting frenzy and laid out some interesting stuff here - still nothing was added, so necrophilia was done - and here I am going for more of the same - oh the felinity!
                  Last edited by USSWisconsin; 07 Dec 11,, 03:32.
                  sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                  If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

• It was picked and chosen nothing more. There is plenty of information available that would refute it beyond question.

However, the Gunny was just and correct in calling his kittens and Lady of the night to Necro Feast.
                    Last edited by Dreadnought; 07 Dec 11,, 04:12.
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                      It was picked and chosen nothing more. There is plenty of information available that would refute it beyond question.

However, the Gunny was just and correct in calling his kittens and Lady of the night to Necro Feast.
                      I agree - it is a one sided presentation, but generally taken from primary source info. It definately presents an anti NGFS perspective by using selected quotes and citations, however I find it useful as an addendum and insight into the arguments that have prevailed on eliminating large caliber (8" and up) NGFS from our Navy. It also points out interesting some sources (that it was taken from) and details some less effective applications of NGFS, which could be studied along with successful cases to better understand what works and what doesn't.

And yes, that was an archtypical necropost - Thank You Gunny - for doing what needed to be done.
                      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

• Nothing he posted was false. All well documented.

No need to beat that dead horse again though

He got run off anyway

Comment

• I was GONNA say "Where are the kittens?", but . . . . . . .

Hey, besides, you GOTTA have a necropost every once in a while just to keep things interesting, eh?
                          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                            Nothing he posted was false. All well documented.

No need to beat that dead horse again though

He got run off anyway
                            Gunny, He didnt post false, That I give you. But refutable no less. That i gave him.
                            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Aaaahhh!

It's nice to see that Gunny is in the right holiday spirit!!!

Perhaps for the season he could have his necroposts be the ghosts of past, present & future!!!
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• Saint-Mandrier Battery, Operation Dragoon, August 1944

I appreciate it is an old thread, but it is well researched and the information posted is both accurate and interesting. I therefore believe it's worth adding further details as they emerge.

In addition to the information provided in posts #71, #72 and #73, I'd offer a summary of the action of USS Nevada against Saint-Mandrier Battery based on the "Report of Action of USS Nevada from 1730 on 15 August 1944, to 2000 25 August 1944, Operation [Anvil/Dragoon, redacted in the document] Southern Coast of France” for 23 August, the only day Nevada fired at this battery:

0926 : Plane reported K-20 firing [should be K-21 aka Turret F, since K-20 aka Turret C was immobilized by the bomb near miss of 8/16/1944]

Main Battery, Mission No. 7: 90 rounds AP fired at K-20 [K-21] 0945-1042, starting at 28,600 yards, several very near misses

1105 : Plane reported K-21 [Turret F] firing

Main Battery, Mission No. 8: 85 rounds AP at K-21 1118-1218, starting at 28,100 yds. Plane reported 3 hits possibly 4, target damaged. Nearly all salvos within 100 yards of target

1255 : Plane reported K-21 [Turret F] active again

Main Battery, Mission No. 10: 72 rounds HC and 13 rounds AP at K-21 1259-1445 starting at 27,900 yds. Results fair, plane reported straddles, no direct hits. During this mission it became quite apparent that Nevada’s gun life was nearly exhausted as pattern was becoming erratic in both range and deflection. MPI could be controlled but dispersion varied from good to poor on successive salvos.
                                Last edited by SW4U; 03 Dec 17,, 03:59.

Comment

Working...
                                X