Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
      So what about the Siege of Dunkirk?
      What year ?

Comment

Sep 44 May 45 (See Post 34).

Comment

Honorable mention...

...Second Battle of Adobe Walls, 1874.

Best estimations are about 700 Indians being held off by 28 or 29 Whites, most of whom were buffalo hunters. As with many events in frontier history the numbers involved are uncertain: in later years some claimed to have been there who weren't and some who were there never mentioned it.

Billy Dixon made his famous long shot on the third day.

Comment

From what i have read, the German underestimated, the allied capabilities to build artificial ports in order to bring supply's on the mainland. That plus operation Pluto made resistance useless, since the allied cleared the Escaut river by November 1944, for a effective use of Anvers.

Comment

Rifleman

Originally posted by Rifleman View Post
              ...Second Battle of Adobe Walls, 1874.

Best estimations are about 700 Indians being held off by 28 or 29 Whites, most of whom were buffalo hunters. As with many events in frontier history the numbers involved are uncertain: in later years some claimed to have been there who weren't and some who were there never mentioned it.

Billy Dixon made his famous long shot on the third day.

Good to hear from you. Good one.

I would add to it the Wagon Box Fight

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagon_Box_Fight
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by gabriel View Post
                From what i have read, the German underestimated, the allied capabilities to build artificial ports in order to bring supply's on the mainland. That plus operation Pluto made resistance useless, since the allied cleared the Escaut river by November 1944, for a effective use of Anvers.
                The Germans held off the Allies from Sep 44 to May 45, no mean feat.

Comment

I'll add Chunuk Bair to the list
                  In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                    I'll add Chunuk Bair to the list
                    Damn right Parihaka, forgot about that one. I have been there in person, fantastic time, if you haven't been you really need to go on ANZAC Day, brilliant.

Comment

Reading about the anglo-zulu war i was surprised by the will of the zulus to engage siege attacks (Kambula) against the British, since they proved themselves before to be very effective in maneuver warfare.
                      They did the same thing at Blood River in 1838: multiple attacks by 10,000 Zulu against 470 Boers. Casualties were 3,000 dead Zulu against 3 Boers wounded.

Comment

Originally posted by GraniteForge View Post
                        They did the same thing at Blood River in 1838: multiple attacks by 10,000 Zulu against 470 Boers. Casualties were 3,000 dead Zulu against 3 Boers wounded.
                        One wonders how long would 470 boers last in the desert, .... without fresh water.

Comment

One wonders how long would 470 boers last in the desert, .... without fresh water.
                          I'm not sure what point you are making, but...

The Boers were pretty wise to the ways of nature. It is unlikely that they would have set out across any given terrain unless they were properly provisioned, and/or knew how to obtain provisions from the land.

Comment

Originally posted by GraniteForge View Post
                            The Boers were pretty wise to the ways of nature. It is unlikely that they would have set out across any given terrain unless they were properly provisioned, and/or knew how to obtain provisions from the land.
                            December is one of the most hot and dry months in South Africa, 10.000 zulus are enough to ensure a LONG SIEGE. They also have to provide water for the horses and cows ( much more than man require ).

Comment

Warning silly answer: Troy

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
                                The Germans held off the Allies from Sep 44 to May 45, no mean feat.
                                If we had insisted on taking them, the Germans would have destroyed the Harbour facilities etc. Better to leave them intact and use mulberry. The French benefitted greatly after the war

Comment

Working...
                                X