south asian taxi drivers blockade melbourne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• south asian taxi drivers blockade melbourne

MELBOURNE'S CBD has been brought to a standstill by hundreds of barechested angry cab drivers demanding more security in taxis after a driver was stabbed by a passenger.
    The protesters have blocked key streets in the city for more than 12 hours and are refusing to end the standoff until the state Transport Minister Lynne Kosky meets with them.

The more than 1000 drivers rallied on the corner of Swanston and Flinders streets, one of the city's busiest intersections, in freezing temperatures through the night to demand better security for taxi drivers and vowed to remain there all day.

By peak hour this morning, the group had become particularly agitated, dancing with shirts off and chanting for justice. Witnesses said the protest was becoming intense.

It follows the stabbing of a 23-year-old taxi driver, a student from India, who was critically injured in inner suburban Clifton Hill about 3am Tuesday.

A man will appear in a Melbourne court today charged with attempted murder.

Parish Charles, 45, was arrested and was remanded in custody after appearing before an out-of-court sessions hearing last night.

Traffic and tram services were disrupted overnight.

Earlier, one of the organisers, Indian-born taxi driver Jazz Randyboy, said the protest had been peaceful.

"Everyone is calm and still, we are not being angry," he said.

"We will stay here until the matter is sorted, we will be here all day and even overnight again if we need to."

Banners on display read: "Do not kill the cab drivers."

People could still drive into the city, but the area around Federation Square and Flinders St Station was blocked, he said.

Tram, train and bus services are likely to be disrupted, with taxi drivers sitting on the tram lines.

Mr Randyboy said police and the government must do something about driver safety.

"Police are not giving us any support or anything, when we complain they simply tell us that they can't do anything. They need to wake up."

Drivers needed protection, he said.

"We are providing the public transport, like the bus, tram or train drivers.

"If anyone puts their hands on us, we should be protected or able to protect ourselves."

Mr Randyboy said he expected thousands more drivers to converge on the area later today, as shifts change and word spreads.

Victorian Public Transport Minister Lynne Kosky said protective screens were being trialled and could soon be introduced in taxis for drivers who wanted them.

Taxi driver protest clogs Melbourne | The Australian

OK, first things first. 'Jazz Randyboy' is the BEST name I have ever heard. I want HIM as our first President. Bugger it, President for life. Outstanding!:))

It is interesting, I went to my nephew's first birthday party this afternoon, and a few of the adults (one a serving Victoria policeman) were discussing this protest. It has actually been quite remarkable.

This whole thing has been spontaneous. It was not organised by a union or any other organisation, but was a genuinely spontaneous. There must be organised protest groups wishing they could do half as good a job. Not only was there a big, committed turnout, but the cabbies had their demands met (including the Police not processing tickets handed out to taxis involved in the protest).

Despite causing considerable disruption, there has been little to no public anger at the protest. People seem to instinctively understand that what the cabbies are protesting about is valid. Most people understand that cab drivers are exploited by license owners, who rarely drive, yet reap half the takings. This means that cab driving is often the province of unskilled new migrants & students - people who stuggle to get regular jobs.

There is also an awareness of the danger of cab driving.

I am also not surprised by the claim that violent atacks hve increased in recent years. I think this has a range of causes. Changes in liquor licensing has seen a general rise in violence in central melbourne & areas with lots of nightclubs. With little or no public transport late at night or early morning, many of these drunk & potentially violent people end up in cabs.

There is also the issue of ethnicity. In the wake of 9-11 and Iraq cabbies who looked Middle Eastern or had Muslim-sounding names suffered a wave of abuse & even attacks. Since then names have been taken off cab identification. There has also been an increase in recent years in cabbies from India & the Horn of Africa. I actually think that there is something to the argument that a small percentage of people are more likely to behave badly toward people who are markedly different to themselves. Unfortunately this 'us & them' view of humanity was actively encouraged from above at times over the past decade. Little wonder the cabbies feel unloved.

Kudos to them for their protest ans kudos to all in the police & government who responded sensibly.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
      OK, first things first. 'Jazz Randyboy' is the BEST name I have ever heard. I want HIM as our first President. Bugger it, President for life. Outstanding!:))
      No seriously:)),been wondering the same thing,its certainly not an Indian name,Iv never known anyone having a name sounding even remotely similar to Jazz Randyboy
      When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post

It is interesting, I went to my nephew's first birthday party this afternoon, and a few of the adults (one a serving Victoria policeman) were discussing this protest. It has actually been quite remarkable.

This whole thing has been spontaneous. It was not organised by a union or any other organisation, but was a genuinely spontaneous. There must be organised protest groups wishing they could do half as good a job. Not only was there a big, committed turnout, but the cabbies had their demands met (including the Police not processing tickets handed out to taxis involved in the protest).

Despite causing considerable disruption, there has been little to no public anger at the protest. People seem to instinctively understand that what the cabbies are protesting about is valid. Most people understand that cab drivers are exploited by license owners, who rarely drive, yet reap half the takings. This means that cab driving is often the province of unskilled new migrants & students - people who stuggle to get regular jobs.

There is also an awareness of the danger of cab driving.

I am also not surprised by the claim that violent atacks hve increased in recent years. I think this has a range of causes. Changes in liquor licensing has seen a general rise in violence in central melbourne & areas with lots of nightclubs. With little or no public transport late at night or early morning, many of these drunk & potentially violent people end up in cabs.

There is also the issue of ethnicity. In the wake of 9-11 and Iraq cabbies who looked Middle Eastern or had Muslim-sounding names suffered a wave of abuse & even attacks. Since then names have been taken off cab identification. There has also been an increase in recent years in cabbies from India & the Horn of Africa. I actually think that there is something to the argument that a small percentage of people are more likely to behave badly toward people who are markedly different to themselves. Unfortunately this 'us & them' view of humanity was actively encouraged from above at times over the past decade. Little wonder the cabbies feel unloved.

Kudos to them for their protest ans kudos to all in the police & government who responded sensibly.
        im really pissed off by other people who keep sayin cabbies don't do a good job, cant speak english and dont know where the MCG is given that these hypocrites themselves would never do the job.

Comment

Jazz Randyboy

Thats a good one though I must admit. Another funny aside; the graduating class of the year before I entered high school included a girl named Randy Orney - I kid you not and I even verified this by looking through the yearbook.

As for the cabbies; its often the same thing here. They are frequently held up and shot/stabbed due to the large amounts of cash they often carry. I believe cab drivers are considered one of the more dangerous occupations in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by 1947 View Post
            im really pissed off by other people who keep sayin cabbies don't do a good job, cant speak english and dont know where the MCG is given that these hypocrites themselves would never do the job.

I'm with you. Had a mate used to do it. Tough gig. You cop all sorts from people who wouldn't get out of bed for the money you get paid to drave them around.

I am sympathetic to people who get into a cab & find that the driver doesn't have the first idea where they are supposed to go. Unfortunately the cabbies cop the abuse for a situation that is the fault of the owners & the taxi directorate. They want people who will work all hours for **** money, but they don't want to put any serious time or money into making sure the drivers know what they need to.
            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Randyboy, that just sounds offensive, especially in India, randy sounds too damn close to the word for a whore/prostitute, and if you add a boy to it, that just must be insulting to that mans mother. Weird.

How on earth will anyone provide security in a cab, arm the driver? This is a job where you need to interact with people, and some people are just crazy, what are you going to do, tragic things happen, does not mean you turn your life into a protected fortress.

Comment

Originally posted by kuku View Post
                Randyboy, that just sounds offensive, especially in India, randy sounds too damn close to the word for a whore/prostitute, and if you add a boy to it, that just must be insulting to that mans mother. Weird.
                Omg LmaoRandy da puttar?Why didn't that strike me?
                When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X