Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOD (UK) to drop Westland and Future Lynx

www.telegraph.co.uk/ne...rmy229.xml

So looks like the UK will be shopping for new coppers, what do people think would be the best choice given the UK's requirements?

UK helicopter industry 'will die in MoD cuts' - Telegraph

This link you mean?

I would rather we kept the jobs in the UK but the other options are good ones and off the shelf would be handy for a quick turn around. Dont like the Lynx much myself.
    Naval Warfare Discussion is dying on WAB

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
      UK helicopter industry 'will die in MoD cuts' - Telegraph

This link you mean?

I would rather we kept the jobs in the UK but the other options are good ones and off the shelf would be handy for a quick turn around. Dont like the Lynx much myself.
      That's the link! Thanks for that.

I don't mind the Lynx per say, just don't like it at three times the cost of every other bugger, and no delivery until 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by VarSity View Post
        That's the link! Thanks for that.

I don't mind the Lynx per say, just don't like it at three times the cost of every other bugger, and no delivery until 2012.
        Just in time for an Olympic fly-pass

Comment

wastelands has had this coming for years, they've been taking the piss for decades and whenever the government gets tetchy they bring out the 'skillsbase' and 'strategic need for a continuation of ability to produce helicopters' *******s that everyone falls for.

i know that its not *******s, but the idea that wastelands are this font of knowledge and ability and that, should we be unable to buy abroad, they'll see us through is utter tripe.

that said, i don't actually think we'll get much to replace it with.

one has to ask though, exactly what is the reason we want a lynx replacement for - rather than a Chinook augmentation?

(ie: Chinook has proved itself in the 'stan as the battle taxi of choice, Apache has the AH role covered in a way that FLynx couldn't touch, and sub-unit level UAV's promise to provide the reece/observation role that Lynx covers at a fraction of the price - maybe not right now, but FLlynx is a 30 year program)

obviously this would require a massive reorganisation of the helicopter force with RAF and AAC fighting for control - and if the SH force was all RAF, then the AAC's chances of holding onto the AH force, tiny by comparrison, would be limited indeed.
          before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.................... then when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

use the money to buy some Black Hawks for use in Iraq sort of Climates/areas and sorting out our Chinook situations.
            Naval Warfare Discussion is dying on WAB

Comment

Working...
            X