Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terrorists in Kashmir have voting rights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrorists in Kashmir have voting rights?

April 27, 2008 18:51 IST

Several Pakistani terrorists operating in Kashmir valley have managed to procure electoral photo-identity cards, prompting the authorities to take a decision to re-verify all such documents before the next assembly polls in the state later this year.

"We are left with no alternative but to re-verify all the electoral photo I-cards issued so far as police have seized such cards from Pakistani terrorists killed in encounters in Kupwara district recently," District Development Commissioner of Kupwara, Kachoo Isfandyar Khan, said on Sunday.

One such card showed Lashkar-e-Tayiba terrorist Abu Tufail, a Pakistani national, under a different name and as a resident of north Kashmir. Tufail was killed in a gun battle with police in February this year.

"In subsequent two to three other operations, we found slain foreign terrorists carrying genuine election cards issued by the local authorities. It is definitely a serious concern for the security agencies," Handwara Superintendent of Police Haseeb Mughal said.

"We have already passed directions to our units and the sister agencies that they will have to be extra careful now," the SP said.

Khan said there is a possibility that more such cases may come to light in future.

"May be there are many more such cases. Only time will tell. But one thing is certain, we will re-verify all identity cards before the next elections," Khan said.

© Copyright 2008 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.

Irony, isn't it? Use the freedom and rights available to enslave the region? Goes to show, this is not a "people's ideology" one fights against but power hungry opportunists whose interests lie with no one but themselves!
    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Anything can happen in India!!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

If a bunch was able to fake Home Ministry Passes to gain entry to Indian Parliament and attack it, then this is nothing.

Didn't a News Channel sometime last year did a Sting operation wherein a fake [read non-existent] person was able to get Highschool Certificates, Univ Degree, a DL, a Ration Card, an electricity connection, a Phone Connection and to top it all a Valid Passport ?

Compare it with just getting Voter's Id Card. No wonder we feature very low on HDI, very low in amongst the contries to do Business with and VERY VERY VERY HIGH on Corruption list[all those Judicial Activism notwithstanding].

Btw, people who issued all those certificates to that fake person are still to be prosecuted, worse till they are still to be charged.

Comment

Impact: MP Subba is not an Indian, CBI tells SC

New Delhi: The CBI on Monday told the Supreme Court that the birth certificate given by Congress MP Mani Kumar Subba to the Election Commission is fake.

The CBI has said that Subba, an MP from Tezpur in Assam, had submitted false documents and mentioned baseless information in his affidavit to the Election Commission.

Subba has been given six weeks to respond to the report.

Speaking with CNN-IBN, the MP said he was being "framed". "I have not seen the CBI report. I am a simple man and hence being framed. I am an Indian citizen. I will give a fitting reply in the supreme court," he said.

Petitioner Ambuj Kumar Sinha told CNN-IBN the gist of the report has been send to them and according to it M K Subba is not an Indian national.
        Impact: MP Subba is not an Indian, CBI tells SC

Well not quite, even with these voter I cards there are fake stamps that were used at some point of time they could have been avoided if the authorities were actually planning to, however this is India, even quite well known organizations and colleges are unable to verify the credentials presented to them, the reason often is that the system is overloaded and people skip the checks.

What if someone gets into a security service right after he/she completes a course across the border in sabotage and spying :)) now that will be troublesome.

Even with fake voter ID cards how can a person find out in search or check-posts, all you have is your eye to make sure that the cards are not fake, anything like a centralized system on the horizon?

Didn't a News Channel sometime last year did a Sting operation wherein a fake [read non-existent] person was able to get Highschool Certificates, Univ Degree, a DL, a Ration Card, an electricity connection, a Phone Connection and to top it all a Valid Passport ?

Compare it with just getting Voter's Id Card. No wonder we feature very low on HDI, very low in amongst the contries to do Business with and VERY VERY VERY HIGH on Corruption list[all those Judicial Activism notwithstanding].

Btw, people who issued all those certificates to that fake person are still to be prosecuted, worse till they are still to be charged.
        For the DL you might go to a city like Dehradun,
        ration card are quite easy to get even the government admits that its like 30-40% are fake anyways,
        a phone connection in this private and fast business world is the easiest thing,
        A electricity connection can be for anyone with a home or papers for a house.
        A valid passport on fake papers might be too tough a thing to achieve believe me i know people who have tried and failed that is why people make fake passports and get caught.
        Same is the case with the Highschool degree and college degree very hard to get genuine ones (again have known people who have tried and failed to get them).

They will be charged through that overloaded legal system, i will not hold my breath for that to happen, i guess 5-10 years from now someone might face some time for this.
        Last edited by kuku; 28 Apr 08,, 15:07.

Comment

For the DL you might go to a city like Dehradun
          Cool, now you told me where to go

Ration card are quite easy to get even the government admits that its like 30-40% are fake anyways
          Thats news for me. If true then it comes as no surprise that why all the Social/Poverty Alleviation schemes are not making any Impact.I guess whats even more surprising is that everyone knows that about 30-40% are fake and then too no one cares to fix the issue. I never knew that our Government thinks fixing this issue to be a rocket science.

A phone connection in this private and fast business world is the easiest thing
          Not Quite. I had a real hard time, when getting one, since they were not accepting any thing other than a DL, Passport or a Pan Card Copy.But with enough contacts and all fake DL in the First Place, I guess this should not be difficult.

A electricity connection can be for anyone with a home or papers for a house.
          Yeah, if you can fake a DL and whole lot of other things, it should not be a problem.

A valid passport on fake papers might be too tough a thing to achieve believe me i know people who have tried and failed that is why people make fake passports and get caught.
          No. I am not referring to a Fake passport. I am talking about getting a real Valid Passport being issued to a Non-Existent person.Its tough for you and me,since people like and me would think twice before attempting to cross the Bridge that lawfull activities and Unlawfull activities.

They will be charged through that overloaded legal system, i will not hold my breath for that to happen, i guess 5-10 years from now someone might face some time for this.
          Lets hope so. But then if this happens after 5-10 years, then it beats the entire purpose. Imagine how many more fake DL's would be issued till then. If you have to close the loop do it the moment you get to know that there is a flaw and not after 10 years or so. That to me is real bad Governance

Comment

Working...
          X