• Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin is Number One!!!

Under the influence, behind the wheel
    Wisconsin is No. 1 for driving drunk; Minnesota ranks third
    By KEVIN FREKING
    Associated Press
    Article Last Updated: 04/23/2008 08:17:09 AM CDT

WASHINGTON — Wisconsin drivers apparently aren't heeding the message of one of America's biggest brewers, located in their own backyard. Nor are residents in some neighboring states.

Miller Brewing Co. urges people to "Respect the Road."

Wisconsin has the worst drunken driving rate in the country, according to a government report that says 15 percent of adult drivers nationally report driving under the influence of alcohol in the previous year.

In Wisconsin, the federal government estimates more than a quarter of the state's adult drivers had driven under the influence in the previous year. Rounding out the worst five are North Dakota, Minnesota, Nebraska and South Dakota.

Utah had the lowest incidence of drunken driving. It was the only state where fewer than 10 percent of adult motorists reported driving under the influence. Following closely behind were a slew of Southern states that often fare poorly when it comes to government health statistics. This time, however, they're serving as models. West Virginia, Arkansas, Kentucky and North Carolina all had drunken driving rates for the prior year of less than 11 percent.

The report on drunken driving relies on data obtained from the National Survey on Drug Use and Health. The survey, based on a scientific random sample of households, asked 127,283 adults in 2004, 2005 and 2006 whether they had driven under the influence in the past year. Health experts say the state-by-state breakdowns support other surveys showing that residents in northern states are more likely to engage in heavy alcohol consumption.
    "It's not surprising, but it means that these jurisdictions should take this data and think about how they approach public education campaigns and enforcement campaigns," said Dr. H. Westley Clark of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, which released the report. The agency is a part of the Department of Health and Human Services.

Eric Goplerud, research professor at George Washington University Medical Center, said cultural and demographic issues probably have a role in the higher rates of driving under the influence in certain states. He said that religious affiliations in the Southeast often strongly discourage drinking, but that doesn't occur so much in the upper Midwest.

"A good part of the social life is around drinking," said Goplerud, who is also director of Ensuring Solutions to Alcohol Problems, which call for increased access to treatment programs.

Also, blacks drink at substantially lower rates and at less hazardous rates than whites, he said. The populations in those upper Midwest states are heavily white.
    Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

I dont understand why we dont do more sobriety checkpoints ... I cannot recall a single one EVER in New York. We also need to take it more seriously; far to often our judicial system acts like its just a little minor mistake. Im not asking for the death penalty for drunk drivers but I think its time for something more then a year in jail, loss of license for a few years and some community service.

Comment

Do you guys do breath tests? Blow into the bag? And what about random stop/check points?
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
        Do you guys do breath tests? Blow into the bag? And what about random stop/check points?
        Hmmmmmm I see the State Patrol out about twice a month. The town I live in has police in it twice a week - on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I sure like every state Wisconsin has the standard equipment if the yokels haven't ruined it by trying to measure methane on a stray cow or two.
        Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Congratulations, Wisconsinites! It's good to be # 1 at something.
          "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Well, that explains why the wisconsinites who venture across the bridge seemingly don't know how to drive.
            F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by BenRoethig View Post
              Well, that explains why the wisconsinites who venture across the bridge seemingly don't know how to drive.
              We seem to have that same problem in the state of Florida according to a post from Gun Grape awhile back

Comment

Self-Regulation

Aw, what's the harm in having a friendly drink or two...or eight!

Go Badgers:))
                "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                  Hmmmmmm I see the State Patrol out about twice a month. The town I live in has police in it twice a week - on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I sure like every state Wisconsin has the standard equipment if the yokels haven't ruined it by trying to measure methane on a stray cow or two.
                  WHAT???? What happens if a crime is reported on Saturday? You have to wait until Tuesday for a response or do you mean as in patrol coverage?

Dont you get coverage from your county sheriff's department?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202 View Post
                    WHAT???? What happens if a crime is reported on Saturday? You have to wait until Tuesday for a response or do you mean as in patrol coverage?

The next town over covers on the other days, well they cover on Tuesdays and Thursdays as well - but the person is designated "ours." The County doesn't get around here too much. Last time I needed assistance, when my dog bit a Jehovah Witness, the report was filed all over the phone and I got some directions through snail mail. No one came out.

Comment

I ran into that problem once in central Washington. It was a Saturday and I was trying to find the old Milwaukee Road train depot there to photograph it. After following the tracks and finding nothing like a train station, I stopped off at the City Police Department.

Closed on the Weekends. I guess living there Monday through Friday must be the safe days.

PS: A gas station attendant told me where the depot was and I got my photographs.
                      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

As for Wisconsin being number 1 in drunken drivers (remember, I'm from Milwaukee and I Oattah know {Blatz Beer commercial}) I have also read that most of them are in Northern Wisconsin (where Debbie lives).

I have relatives in Park Falls and Rice Lake and the only other excitement they have is squirrel hunting or ice fishing. In between bullets and fishhooks (or because of them) they have nothing else better to do.
                        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Go ahead and shoot the B*stard. Dress him out and Hang him in the barn.
                          The body will keep. Do it with deer all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                            As for Wisconsin being number 1 in drunken drivers (remember, I'm from Milwaukee and I Oattah know {Blatz Beer commercial}) I have also read that most of them are in Northern Wisconsin (where Debbie lives).

I have relatives in Park Falls and Rice Lake and the only other excitement they have is squirrel hunting or ice fishing. In between bullets and fishhooks (or because of them) they have nothing else better to do.
                            Now Rusty, I'm in Western Wisconsin an hour from from St. Paul/Minneapolis, but there isn't anything to do here either. Rice Lake isn't that far actually. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                              Go ahead and shoot the B*stard. Dress him out and Hang him in the barn.
                              The body will keep. Do it with deer all the time.
                              Now listen here, if a man actually wanders onto the property, the last thing on my mind is shooting him. Chains, a tether and hard labor first. Then maybe shooting. Discharging a firearm around here isn't a big deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X