Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 50515253545556575859

Thread: China-Tibet Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Tronic View Post
    Only hinterland India's history has been "uneventful". Ask anyone living in the periphery states, from the North West to the North East; it's been anything but uneventful.
    Yes the punjabi insurgency left behind very colourful events. I wonder if it has indeed ended.

The north-east looks like a mini-afghanistan to me with various ethnic groups prying for dominance. There are three entities here - the military, the dominant insurgent group and the splinter insurgent groups. The insurgents are lumped in ethnic portions. All three fight against each other and this makes the place very volatile and sensitive.

Our policy in these parts has been to talk to the dominant insurgent groups and let them run their territory their own way in lieu of ceasefire. This gives the military some space to neutralize the splinter groups. Progress has been made for eg: the nagaland govt is actually a front org of nscn(im), a dominant insurgent group who has joined politics which is a good start. The manipur govt was chosen over the insurgent groups even though it is a corrupt one. I'd say that it has been "eventful" but in the right direction.

What am I looking at?
    The most unlikely candidates to experiment with for the creation of nation states

Liberté, Unité, Egalité Senior Contributor Tronic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ambidex View Post
    That was bad on GoI's part.

That was very bad on GoI's part, no doubt about it.

That worked, isn't it ?

That was great move by GoI. I will always like to see a government 'imposed' this way when hostility is high and boycott of the Union is prevalent. Those who were boycotting are sitting in LA and enjoying the power today. Back to normal.
    Yes, the government corrected it's mistake by opening up the political space in Punjab again, but it's always important to take notice that those mistakes came at a very big cost; including erosion of the GoI's legitimacy in that state.

The intent of my original post was to check anil's assertion that, "china is several decades behind when it comes to "nation building", as he asserted that China's history with secessionists has seen more turbulence than India ("eventful" vs "uneventful"). India's political history too has been very volatile. Heck, India almost became a full dictatorship in the mid '70s.

One advantage I will hand to India over China is that it is a democracy, albeit with authoritarian tendencies, but still a democracy which gives space for dissenting voices to be heard. This allows an alternate channel for a lot of simmering tensions to be released.
    Last edited by Tronic; 11 Jul 13, at 08:23.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands but seeing with new eyes.

Liberté, Unité, Egalité Senior Contributor Tronic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anil View Post
    Our policy in these parts has been to talk to the dominant insurgent groups and let them run their territory their own way in lieu of ceasefire. This gives the military some space to neutralize the splinter groups.
    Which territories have been willingly ceded to insurgent groups?

Progress has been made for eg: the nagaland govt is actually a front org of nscn(im), a dominant insurgent group who has joined politics which is a good start. The manipur govt was chosen over the insurgent groups even though it is a corrupt one. I'd say that it has been "eventful" but in the right direction.
    Insurgents are also political actors with political goals. Dropping the bullet to contest the ballot to achieve their political ends is always a positive development. Good for the Indian government to finally give them the space, and good for the dissenting parties to show trust in the GoI.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands but seeing with new eyes.

Which territories have been willingly ceded to insurgent groups?
    Those areas with too many players. Back in the day there were few players but they weren't competent so talks were stalled. Today they have splintered into many so comprehensive talks are not possible. The nscn(im) is to delhi what the pashtuns are to pakistan. This article will help explain the situation:

Chasing a chimeric peace - The Hindu

Insurgents are also political actors with political goals. Dropping the bullet to contest the ballot to achieve their political ends is always a positive development. Good for the Indian government to finally give them the space, and good for the dissenting parties to show trust in the GoI.
    They have joined politics but they have still not dropped their guns. The problem is external as well as internal(ethnic). That's why it'll take generations to solve.

Thread Information