This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
    And what of Chinese military installations? and border roads? Chinese military installations exceeds Indian military installations. I am not happy with the way GoI has handled this affair.
    I don't think expansion of current military installations will stop. Troops need to stay warm and while toughing it is certainly a soldier's trait, running water makes sanitation a hell of a lot easier. I'm thinking that there won't be any new installations by either side.

Comment

• Originally posted by cataphract View Post
      The Indian govt and army have been caught on the backfoot. The conflicting statements coming out of the govt, army and politicians have given them an air of incompetence. The very fact that the Chinese could pitch those tents under our noses in the first place was a public humiliation. Admittedly, the Indian media has made this into a circus, but the stain of being caught with pants down won't go away. Is that not a propaganda victory?
      It's a tent, not a machine gun nest. Let's not overblow this.

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
      Sure, the IA won't be building bunkers on the frontline. But this drama will only speedup the infrastructure buildup in the rear - roads, airfields and such.
      As it should. But without forward staging areas, both armies would have extremely limited reach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
        Be careful here. A propaganda victory hides a military disaster.
        Military disaster? Wasn't 1962 a military success for China?

Comment

• Originally posted by ajhax View Post
          Military disaster? Wasn't 1962 a military success for China?
          No. They overstretched their supply lines to the point that they collapsed and had to fall back to their original staging points. Two Indian army corps were already responding and there was no way for the Chinese to check them forward of their original positions.

Comment

No. They overstretched their supply lines to the point that they collapsed and had to fall back to their original staging points. Two Indian army corps were already responding and there was no way for the Chinese to check them forward of their original positions.
            But China got Tibet and we lost forever the historic buffer state that both kept Indian and Chinese civilizations insulated from each other as well as provided a common staging area of much of the interplay between the two. Most Indians of my generation spit on Nehru for what he lost us. And rever his daughter for what she won back.

Comment

• Tibet wasn't yours to lose.

Comment

Tibet wasn't yours to lose.
                I beg to differ. Tibet was indeed an useful buffer state and not to mention the source of most of India's major rivers. It was just that Tibet was autonomous and never interfered with India's security.

Comment

• Tibet was for the Tibetans to lose. Tibet was a tribute state to China and paid homage and tribute to Central and North Asian capitals, never to the south. Tibet never asked for nor did India ever offered Indian protection to that country. Hell, Husband sacked and looted that country but he never conquered it. Maybe he should have but since he didn't, Tibet was never India's to lose.

Comment

Tibet was for the Tibetans to lose. Tibet was a tribute state to China and paid homage and tribute to Central and North Asian capitals, never to the south. Tibet never asked for nor did India ever offered Indian protection to that country. Hell, Husband sacked and looted that country but he never conquered it. Maybe he should have but since he didn't, Tibet was never India's to lose.
                    Internet is a wild place

Greater India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess delusional people are delusional

Comment

• Originally posted by cdude View Post
                      Internet is a wild place

Greater India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess delusional people are delusional
                      I am not sure what is delusional here, if you understand that is clearly from a religio-cultural POV, not a political one.
                      "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
                        I am not sure what is delusional here, if you understand that is clearly from a religio-cultural POV, not a political one.
                        Just because some hindu relics can be found somewhere doesnt mean it's part of "greater India".

The cultural/religion POV is quite slippery. Follow the same logic on that wild wild wiki page, one delusional Chinese can argue all tea-drinking, rice-eating, firework-firing countries are a part of "Greater China".

But if it helps people sleep better at night, I am all for it.

Comment

• cdude,

Why you have to be so witty? There is no political claim in that article.

From your link:
                          Greater India was the historical extent of the culture of India beyond the Indian subcontinent. This particularly concerns the spread of Buddha Dharma and Sanathana Dharma,[1] introduced by the travellers of the 5th to 15th centuries, but may also refer to the spread of Buddhism from India to Central Asia and China by the Silk Road during the early centuries of the Common Era. To the west, Greater India overlaps with Greater Persia in the Hindu Kush and Pamir mountains. The term is tied to the geographic uncertainties surrounding the "Indies" during the Age of Exploration.
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Buddhism originated in India and Tibet is Buddhist ... though from an outsider looking in, there's no way traditional Buddhism would ever accept a living god.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                              cdude,

Why you have to be so witty? There is no political claim in that article.
                              That's exactly the problem. No POLITICAL claim. India never ruled Tibet nor the other way around. Yet in some people's mind. Tibet is the magic "buffer" between India and China. India "lost" Tibet". How did India own Tibet to begin with?

Answer: "Greater India"

I am here to help the "India lost Tibet" theory.

Comment

Buddhism originated in India and Tibet is Buddhist ... though from an outsider looking in, there's no way traditional Buddhism would ever accept a living god.
                                Nor would Buddhism accept eye gouging / serfdom / limb maiming.

But if Mormons think they are Christians, what stops Tibetan "Buddhism"?

Comment

Working...
                                X