This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Minister Criticized for Planned Meeting with Dalai Lama

The Dalai Lama is currently visiting Germany. Only one member of the government is prepared to meet with him -- sparking a storm of unrest within the government. "These days, being courageous means not meeting the Dalai Lama," commented Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier.

More at:

Berlin Divided over Tibet: German Minister Criticized for Planned Meeting with Dalai Lama - International - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Here is news that is food for thought!

Another China Trade Opportunity - WSJ.com

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

old american documentary shows tibet part of china

*** Moderator Edit

**** No More Of These Stupid Posts! ****
        Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 04 Jun 08,, 16:53.

Comment

old american documentary shows tibet part of china

guess those guys wouldnt know the music they chose to be played in the beginning of this documentary later on became the national anthem of the people's republic of china.at that time it was just a popular anti japanses war song.

american emblem shown with chinese national anthem,ha,what a combination.it shows the two peoples used to be close buddies fighting against a common foe.many american flying tigers gave their lives for this piece of land and its people,chinese people will forever remember them.let's not let down our forefathers who lost their lives for the righteous cause.

this documetary also shows china at that time was a third bigger than the united states,but now that is not true,since china lost mongolia after the war,the independence of mongolia was the precondition for soviets declaration of war on japan.

Yalta agreement was reached by sacrificing one major ally,china's interest without any chinese representives on the scene.

Yalta agreement:
          Yalta Agreement - February 1945

Comment

The US documentary cannot supersede historical text and treaties.

The war documentaries are usually to express an issue and it may not have the history well researched.

Now what if one claim that the Chinese are the allies and part of the SEATO of the US since the documentary plays the Chinese national anthem. Would that be right?
            Last edited by Ray; 04 Jun 08,, 17:02.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

why do you think it is a stupid post,how much do you know the details?

what 's wrong with my post?you just said it was stupid and took it off,those posts have never had any problems on other forums,what's wrong with this one?

Comment

What part of no more Tibet belongs to China do you not understand?

Comment

tibet belongs to china,that's the common sense,and what's wrong to point that out?doesnt this forum allow freedom of speech ?

Comment

buy a world map anywhere in this world and you can find that out.there are some crazy things going on here.

Comment

You must be too stupid to take a warning. Take a day to think this over. WAB is private property. You've been asked to drop a subject that we've all been sick of.

Now, take a day. If you do come back, I expect you to behave as a guest should behave. When a host askes you to do something, you should respect his request. Otherwise, you are invited to leave before I kick you out.
                      Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 04 Jun 08,, 17:21.

Comment

Officer of Engineers, apart from being a Moderator, is a Canadian Army officer of Chinese ethnicity and is an acknowledged China expert.

Possibly he found that the rationale of a War documentary as a proof to establish that Tibet is a part of China a bit watered down an argument, when more cogent rationale has been aired on this forum claiming that Tibet is a part of China.

The issue is that while the Chinese feel and by their own arguments rightly so that Tibet is a part of China, the Tibetans on the other hand, put forward their own arguments, which some feel are valid.

In the world, ownership of territory has generally boiled down to occupation of an area and showing two fingers to anyone who feels otherwise. To that extent, Tibet apparently has no hope in expecting any change of status, no matter how shrill or valid their contention maybe.

Freedom of speech on this forum has been paramount.

Just check the number of posts I have, but let me tell you that I was also under the banned list for what I thought was right.

There is nothing personal actually. Its all about Perceptions.

The Colonel (OOE) is a military man and military men tend to see things either black or white. Greys sort of fade away. Yet, I assure you that the Colonel is a very honourable and a very nice person.
                        Last edited by Ray; 04 Jun 08,, 17:19.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                          is an acknowledged China expert.
                          I would really like to read something written by him. Can I have a sample please?

Comment

Go to China Defence Forum and his research papers are available, apart from many other Chinese people, who are ex military officers and defence analysts.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

rat,

he has 15K+ posts in this board, surely that is enough? ;)
                              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Torture, hunger, mobile sterilisation units ... the brutal reality of Tibet 2008

By CLAUDIA JOSEPH
                                Last updated at 21:52 29 March 2008

British filmmakers have emerged from three months undercover in Tibet to release a terrifying portrayal of Chinese repression, including shootings, torture and the brutal sterilisation of women left maimed by crude operations.

Their film, to be shown tomorrow night as part of Channel 4's Dispatches series, was made before the recent outbreak of anti-Chinese rioting in the Tibetan capital, Lhasa.

But with hundreds of jailed Tibetan protesters now in fear for their lives, the harrowing footage will add to the storm of condemnation gathering ahead of the Beijing Olympics this year.

The documentary's investigation began with the notorious 2006 shootings on the Nangpa La pass, when unarmed Tibetans trying to leave the country were gunned down by Chinese border guards.

Two Tibetans were killed and 32 detained, interrogated and then sent to a labour camp 150 miles from Lhasa.

The experiences of one of those held, Jamyang Samten, now 16, gives a clue to the fate of Tibetan protesters now in the hands of the Chinese police.

He told the programme makers he was given electric shocks with a cattle prod, chained to a wall and hit in the stomach by a guard wearing a metal glove.

If he made a minor mistake in his interrogation, he would be beaten with a chain.

"The way the Chinese tortured was terrifying," he said.

"They beat us using their full strength. Sometimes they forced us to take off our clothes. We were locked up in a room with our arms and legs handcuffed and they beat us. The chain injured the surface but not the inside of the body.

"If they hit us with the electric baton, our entire body trembled and gradually we were unable to speak."

Jamyang was eventually released and finally made it over the border to Kathmandu in Nepal after paying a guide the equivalent of £210.

Tibetan women are also forcibly prevented from having children, despite supposedly being exempt from China's strict birth-control laws, the film's director Jezza Neumann discovered.

Measures include monitoring menstrual cycles, forced abortions and sterilisation if women cannot afford a fine for having a second child.
                                One woman, a married farmer, described her agony at a forced sterilisation operation without anaesthetic.

She could not afford the fine, equivalent to £70, and was one of six in her village who went through the ordeal.

"I was forcibly taken away against my will. I was feeling sick and giddy and couldn't look up," she said.

"Apparently they cut the fallopian tubes and stitched them up. It was agonisingly painful. They didn't use anaesthetic. They just smeared something on my stomach and carried out the sterilisation.

"Apart from aspirin for the pain, there were no other drugs. I was so frightened, I can't even remember how I felt. Some people were even physically damaged by the operation. They have limps and have to drag their hips."

Unconfirmed reports also suggest mobile sterilisation units are inserting a new type of contraceptive coil into village women that cannot be removed by them.

Every year, some 3,000 Tibetans brave death to flee across the Himalayas and into exile in Nepal.

The land they leave behind is saturated with secret police creating a climate of terror and mistrust ? a land where merely protesting will invite arrest and severe punishment, found Mr Neumann.

The director spent his time undercover accompanied by a Tibetan refugee, Tash Despa, who now lives in London.

"There are spies everywhere," said Mr Neumann. "There are the uniformed police and army, the secret police in their suits and dark glasses and then a spy network of Chinese and Tibetans. It's like the Stasi in East Germany.

"It's got to the point where brothers don't trust their sisters and mothers don't trust their children."

According to the Tibetan Government in exile, cases of arbitrary arrest and detention have increased threefold in a year.

But Mr Neumann ? nominated for five Bafta awards for China's Stolen Children, a film investigating the black market in babies created by the notorious "one child policy" ? said the whole Tibetan culture was under attack.

New dams have flooded entire villages, driving farmers off ancestral lands. Monks are vulnerable because of the Dalai Lama's role as a religious and political leader in exile.
                                And nomads have been forcibly resettled into concrete camps without schools, clinics or bus services. Their livestock has been confiscated.

"Life here is incredibly hard," said a woman in one camp.

"People are suffering from hunger and hardship. They have no jobs and they have no land. The only way they can fill their empty stomachs is by stealing. We live in terror.

"We don't even have basic human rights, not even freedom of speech. Everybody is so depressed. They look awful. Their faces have become pale. Their eyes are sunken. Everyone is afraid of speaking the truth."

Mr Neumann is particularly anxious about the plight of the recent protesters.

"I haven't met anyone who had been arrested who wasn't tortured," he said.

"God only knows what will happen to them if they burnt down a Chinese shop or threw a rock at an official's car or threw a shoe at a policeman."

Torture, hunger, mobile sterilisation units ... the brutal reality of Tibet 2008 | Mail Online

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                                X