Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could the Zumwalt's guns take on a battleship?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a solution to this arguement.

First, let the Iowas retire and spend the rest of their existence as all old soldiers (and sailors) should, in peace and quiet.

Secondly, build new battleships (and I do mean BBs or perhaps battlecruisers) that are more tailored to current and FUTURE requirements of the Navy and Marine Corps.

If anyone has any idea of what I speak, I would like to refer them to my ongoning thread in this forum.
    Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

Comment

Originally posted by maximusslade View Post
      I have a solution to this arguement.

First, let the Iowas retire and spend the rest of their existence as all old soldiers (and sailors) should, in peace and quiet.

Secondly, build new battleships (and I do mean BBs or perhaps battlecruisers) that are more tailored to current and FUTURE requirements of the Navy and Marine Corps.

If anyone has any idea of what I speak, I would like to refer them to my ongoning thread in this forum.
      How about going to that thread and answering the question I asked of you:)

Those 2 do this about every month.

One bases his position on feelings the other on facts. Both are too stubborn to know that they can go over this forever and never change the others opinion.:))

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
        And the battleships contributed nothing to that effort. The CVEs and DDs won the Battle of the Atlantic. The CVs won the Battle of the Pacific
        Ah, very true that the CV's won the lion's share of the fame in the PTO, but what about the long slugging matches in the Solomons?

The carriers fought (and got seriously whacked) there only twice, whereas the surface forces (especially the cruisers and destroyers) fought engagement after engagement without the CV's anywhere around.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          Ah, very true that the CV's won the lion's share of the fame in the PTO, but what about the long slugging matches in the Solomons?

The carriers fought (and got seriously whacked) there only twice, whereas the surface forces (especially the cruisers and destroyers) fought engagement after engagement without the CV's anywhere around.
          Aah, and I know I'll get in trouble for this, the Solomons were a sideshow in the overall strategy vice the POME.

Comment

Aah, and I know I'll get in trouble for this, the Solomons were a sideshow in the overall strategy vice the POME.
            No trouble with me :)

However...Whatever the Solomons were or were not, I'm talking about what actually occured, regardless of coulda, woulda, shoulda. ;)
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
              No trouble with me :)

However...Whatever the Solomons were or were not, I'm talking about what actually occured, regardless of coulda, woulda, shoulda. ;)
              I'll never say they didn't do a fine job all on their own. Most likely the last great surface battles between two major powers.

But just like the Alaska theater,they were not the war winners.

They did have help from the CVEs. And that Unsinkable Carrier Australia:)

We could not have conducted the island hopping campaign without CVs. And we could not have made successful amphibious landings without those planes. Everything hinged on the carriers.

Even though my favorite ships from WW2 are the Fletchers. I would rate them as the second most important ships of WW2.

Comment

One bases his position on feelings the other on facts.

Comment

Even if the Navy agreed on bridging the gap of NSGFS... it wouldn't be able to foot the bill. Look at the cut backs on the LCS, San Antonio's, possibly the F-35 JSF... and my last travel claim.

Comment

Originally posted by maximusslade View Post
                    But if you plan to build ships to meet current and future USN/Marine requirements, those ships are not going to be battleships or battlecruisers or anything resembling such animals.

Nostalgia for a bygone era is all well and good for personal amusement, but it makes for lousy procurement policy.

Comment

I know I'm going to hate myself for asking, But have you got a link for his youtube page or know what name he post under?
                      You might want to visit this page . Somebody is finally fighting back .
                      The M113 Armored Personnel Carrier – DON’T CALL IT THE GAVIN!
                      Last edited by BD1; 25 Apr 08,, 08:06.
                      If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Originally posted by braindead View Post
                        I would love for someone to e-mail Sparky that link and to to be in the room when he opened it

Comment

Originally posted by braindead View Post
                          WOW! is all I could say.

This Mike Sparks character needs some psychiatric help. The Corp realized that long ago and wouldn't let him take command of men in combat. I guess those tests really do work. :))
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                            WOW! is all I could say.

This Mike Sparks character needs some psychiatric help. The Corp realized that long ago and wouldn't let him take command of men in combat. I guess those tests really do work. :))
                            Did you go to some of his sites? You really have to, to get the full effect.

I will correct something on the anti-gavin site. Sparks was an enlisted Marine before he tried to be an officer. He was a communicator and was kicked out for being overweight on his first enlistment.

A 20+ year Lieutenant. Whats wrong with you people, can you not see the superior intellect? Of course not. Its because you all have Narcissistic Personality Disorder,

This man should at least be a corporal captain by now.

Comment

I would love for someone to e-mail Sparky that link and to to be in the room when he opened it
                              Mr Sparks has informed me that he is aware of my site. As expected, it has not had the desired effect. He is still just as big a loon as ever.

Comment

Originally posted by fitz View Post
                                Mr Sparks has informed me that he is aware of my site. As expected, it has not had the desired effect. He is still just as big a loon as ever.
                                In the world of military entertainment he is unique. In some enlightened countries they would call him a living monument!
                                Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Working...
                                X