DUI in New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DUI in New Zealand

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A New Zealand man has been charged with driving a lawn mower while drunk, police said Tuesday.

Richard Gunn, 52, was driving the lawn mower down a street in the northern New Zealand town of Dargaville late Monday evening when police stopped him, police spokeswoman Sarah Kennett said.

Gunn's breath alcohol level was at more than twice the legal limit for drivers, police said, and he previously had lost his driver's license.

Gunn said he has been using the lawn mower to get around town since losing his license.

"I thought I was safe," he told TV One News.

Even bicycles went faster than the lawn mower's 5 mph, he said. "I've watched them go past me."

Gunn was scheduled to appear in court later this week on charges of careless driving, driving while disqualified and driving with excess breath alcohol. He faces a potential prison term if convicted.

Police impounded the lawn mower for 28 days.
    LINKED HERE
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

These are the questions I have about this:

Since a license is not required to operate a riding lawn mower, was he legally able to drive it? Will this add time on to how long he would have had his license taken away for the original DUI? I dont think it should since a license is not required to drive a lawn mower. Will he be able to pick up the lawn mower at the end of its impound term? What is the legal limit for driving a lawn mower?
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

I had a neighbor get the same charge on a lawnmower in NC. He was actually cutting his grass and crossed the sidewalk to cut the strip of grass between the road and sidewalk. That is actually the right of way for the city roads. The charge stuck.

It has wheels and you control it. Also seen people get DUIs on Bicycles and skateboards.

As long as you stay in your yard there is no legal limit. However once you leave the sanctuary of your home, state BAC limits determine limit.

Comment

Actually, you can be charged with DUI for all kinds of unusual behavior. Here are some of the wackiest DUI arrests Total DUI has encountered:

When a 42-year-old man crashed a go-cart into a parked car on a public street, he was charged with DUI, fined $1,000, and given a two-year driver's license suspension.
        Two Portage, Indiana women were charged with DUI after pushing a vehicle into a parked car. After the arrest, they were given blood alcohol tests to determine their blood alcohol contents. Both had BACs more than double the legal limit!
        In Morristown, NJ, a man driving a zamboni around the Mennen Sports Arena ice rink was charged with DUI.
        A charge of felony DUI resulted for a man in Vermont who decided to hop on his riding lawnmower while intoxicated.
        Bill Murray, of Caddyshack fame, was arrested in Sweden after driving a golf cart to a restaurant while drunk. Murray refused a breath test, but could face jail time depending on his blood test results.

Enought to drive(pun intended)a man to drink:))

Comment

And not only machines.

A couple of years ago at the Opal mining town of Coober Pedy in the state's north, the town larakin who had previously lost his licence for drunk driving, was arrested again for driving a Dromedary whilst under the influence and for further failing to stop when ordered. :))

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by captain View Post
            And not only machines.

A couple of years ago at the Opal mining town of Coober Pedy in the state's north, the town larakin who had previously lost his licence for drunk driving, was arrested again for driving a Dromedary whilst under the influence and for further failing to stop when ordered. :))

Cheers.
            How the hell did he get on, and stay on one of those things:)

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
              How the hell did he get on, and stay on one of those things:)
              Apparently he was quite experienced and used his Dromedaries for tourist rides.
              They use high back saddles so it's difficult to fall off and the Dromedary gets down on it's haunches so you can get on or in his case, fall on, then he probably said, home Clyde and it did it's own thing regardless of what the local cop wanted. :)

At the time, the news papers and TV had fun with it.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
              X