X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greece buys French planes to show gratitude for support on veto

Greece buys French planes to show gratitude for support on veto

Athens 08 04 2008

Greece is set to procure fighter jets Rafale and 15 choppers Super Puma from France, Greek daily Kathimerini writes in today's edition.

To this end, Greek Defense Minister Evangelos Meimarakis will be heading to Paris on Thursday to meet his French counterpart Herve Morin.

The paper says that this was another confirmation of the good bilateral relations, after France backed Greece at the NATO Summit in Bucharest, when it stood behind Athens's position to veto Macedonia's invitation for membership in the Alliance.

Makfax vesnik

Whatever the alleged reason for the purchase, I approve of their choice!
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

I would bye one, if i had the money and the privlage, looks very nice for a fighter plane dont know much of the technical blah blah, however of all the planes which seem to be available to different AFs right now, this one gets by vote.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
        So Dassault finally got a foreign sale for the Rafale! It's been a long time coming, I bet the HAF got a hell of a deal.

Maybe this will spur some other governments to buy, up till now no one has been very interested in fielding an orphan.
        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
          So Dassault finally got a foreign sale for the Rafale! It's been a long time coming, I bet the HAF got a hell of a deal.

Maybe this will spur some other governments to buy, up till now no one has been very interested in fielding an orphan.
          True! Nothing is seen to succeed like success. :) It could be the breaking of the production drought.

Comment

I'm not seeing any kind of official confirmation from Dassault on this....

Anyone??
            "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
              I'm not seeing any kind of official confirmation from Dassault on this....

Anyone??
              Not yet. Only the quote from the Greek paper. It could be a scoop fot their reporter. Manufacturers do not always announce sales until signatures are on the legal documents.
              Then again, it could be a spurious report.

Comment

I agree Glyn, absolutely nothing from Dassault. Greece bought some Mirage fighters recently, would be nice to see Rafale getting some sales, but not too many:)
                "Liberty is a thing beyond all price.

Comment

Having flown the Alouette II and the Gazelle I am something of a fan of French flying machines. Love some of their cars too. I had a Citroen BX which was probably the best car I've ever owned. It was nicer than my present Mercedes in some ways - the smoothness of the ride for one and the great feeling of confidence it gave when cornering at speed. :)

Comment

...Then again, it could be a spurious report.
                    Wouldn't be the first time a journo got it wrong.....;)

Comment

Rafale opened up an office in Athens recently and has been trying to get the Greeks to buy some for quite sometime now.

But at this moment until we get some more news sources confirming, I would say this is speculation with a good probability of becoming true. I would suspect that at the end that the next big purchase by the Greek Air Force will the EF or the Rafale. I believe that it will take some time before the Greeks buy American again. I would take a new US administration, and allot of politics. This became apparent after the last NATO meeting, where the US for the most part ignored Greece's concerns about Macedonia (FYROM).

Comment

I would think that you would root for the EF. :)

Comment

Originally posted by LetsTalk View Post
                          I would think that you would root for the EF. :)
                          Why should you think that? A nation should buy the equipment it feels best suits its purpose. :)
                          As you can see, I am not a patrioteer!

Comment

Having flown the Alouette II and the Gazelle I am something of a fan of French flying machines. Love some of their cars too. I had a Citroen BX which was probably the best car I've ever owned. It was nicer than my present Mercedes in some ways - the smoothness of the ride for one and the great feeling of confidence it gave when cornering at speed. :)
                            *sigh*There's one lucky person
                            When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Knaur Amarsh View Post
                              *sigh*There's one lucky person
                              Ha ha! Not really. My flying days ended in 1980 (which is rather a long time ago!) and don't be deceived by a brand name. The Mercedes in question is the A class which is the smallest in their range. It was also 3 years old when I bought it. I have considered getting a 'new' car, but that would be an indulgence as the current one is perfectly adequate for this pensioner.

Comment

Working...
                              X