Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Ron Paul

  1. #1
    Banned Military Professional Elbmek's Avatar
    Join Date
    31 Dec 06
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield
    Posts
    488

    Ron Paul

    Ron Paul is an unknown to me but I spotted this in another forum:

    He would make a terrible president - he's honest!!

    Some more info on him:

    Congressman Paul’s consistent voting record prompted one of his congressional colleagues to say, “Ron Paul personifies the Founding Fathers’ ideal of the citizen-statesman. He makes it clear that his principles will never be compromised, and they never are.” Another colleague observed, “There are few people in public life who, through thick and thin, rain or shine, stick to their principles. Ron Paul is one of those few.”

    Brief Overview of Congressman Paul’s Record:

    He has never voted to raise taxes.
    He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
    He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
    He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
    He has never taken a government-paid junket.
    He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.

    He voted against the Patriot Act.
    He voted against regulating the Internet.
    He voted against the Iraq war.

    He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
    He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.

    Congressman Paul introduces numerous pieces of substantive legislation each year, probably more than any single member of Congress.

  2. #2
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    07 Oct 08
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,230
    his racists actions/statements aside....

  3. #3
    Banned Military Professional Elbmek's Avatar
    Join Date
    31 Dec 06
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield
    Posts
    488
    ............... as I said, an uknown to me. But, whatever his stance on anything - he sticks to his principles; apparently. not a politician to be bought which is quite a rarity.

  4. #4
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    07 Oct 08
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,230
    I'd agree with that.

  5. #5
    Field mechanik Senior Contributor omon's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 06
    Location
    bk
    Posts
    3,630
    Quote Originally Posted by ba1025 View Post
    his racists actions/statements aside....
    such as????
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

  6. #6
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    07 Oct 08
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,230
    Well, the fact you don't know should tell to look for less biased news sources but here you go from a quick search:

    "96 words

    24 May 1996
    CongressDaily/A.M.

    English

    Copyright (c) 1996 National Journal Inc.

    A 1992 political newsletter by former Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, included portrayals of African-Americans as inclined toward crime and lacking sense about political issues, the Houston Chronicle reported Thursday. Paul, a former Libertarian Party presidential candidate who defeated Democratic-turned-Republican Rep. Greg Laughlin in the March primary, in November will face Democratic attorney Charles (Lefty) Morris, whose campaign is distributing Paul's writings. Under the headline "Terrorist Update," Paul reported on gang crime in Los Angeles and wrote, "If you have ever been robbed by a black teenaged male, you know how unbelievably fleet-footed they can be." About blacks in Washington, D.C., Paul wrote, "I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal." Paul said Wednesday that his comments came in the context of "current events and statistical reports of the time," and that he opposes racism.

    In later newsletters, Paul wrote that lobbying groups who seek special favors are evil, and that "by far the most powerful lobby in Washington of the bad sort is the Israeli government."


    Associated Press

    329 words

    24 May 1996
    San Antonio Express-News

    English

    (Copyright 1996)

    A 1992 newsletter by Republican congressional candidate Ron Paul highlighted portrayals of blacks as criminally inclined and lacking sense about top political issues.

    Reporting on gang crime in Los Angeles, Paul commented: "If you have ever been robbed by a black teen-aged male, you know how unbelievably fleet-footed they can be."

    Paul, a Surfside obstetrician who won the GOP nomination in the 14th District runoff by defeating incumbent Rep. Greg Laughlin, said Wednesday he opposed racism.

    He said his written commentaries about blacks came in the context of "current events and statistical reports of the time."

    Paul's Democratic opponent, Charles "Lefty" Morris, said many of Paul's views were "out there on the fringe" and that this fall voters would judge his commentaries.

    Morris' campaign distributed selected writings by Paul this week.

    Paul, a former congressman and one-time Libertarian presidential nominee, said allegations about his writings amounted to name-calling by the Democrats.

    He said he'd produced the newsletter since 1985 and distributes it to an estimated 7,000 to 8,000 subscribers.

    Writing in his independent political newsletter in 1992, Paul commented about black men in the nation's capital.

    Citing statistics from a 1992 study produced by the National Center on Incarceration and Alternatives, a criminal justice think tank based in Virginia, Paul concluded in his column:

    "Given the inefficiencies of what DC laughingly calls the criminal justice system, I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal."

    "These aren't my figures," Paul said this week. "That is the assumption you can gather from" the report.

    He also wrote: "Opinion polls consistently show that only about 5 percent of blacks have sensible political opinions, i.e. support the free market, individual liberty and the end of welfare and affirmative action."

    Paul continued that politically sensible blacks are outnumbered "as decent people."


    Ron Paul '90s newsletters rant against blacks, gays - CNN.com


    "n this 25 seconds or so Paul managed to speak before a commercial break, he found a window to call Mike Huckabee a fascist. Paul, responding to a question about the not-so-subliminal cross in Huckabee’s new Christmas ad, said it reminded him of a Sinclair Lewis quote: “When fascism comes to this country, it will be wrapped in a flag carrying a cross"


    His vote for a federal ban on so-called partial birth abortions undermines his claims to support both individual liberty as well as his support for state’s rights.


    The War on Religion by Rep. Ron Paul
    I guess no one ever told him Washington didnt recieve communion at church because he didn't believe in Christ as his personal savior or that Jefferson edited out what he called dung from the bible( all the mysticism and miracles) and left the diamonds( social teachings)


    Congress.org - Key Votes
    His vote basically was to support statehouses/courts to display the ten commandments...constitutio???I guess he is a strict constructionist when he agrees with it?

    Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
    This a bill to amend the constitution to put school prayer back in schools...yeah we are a CHRISTIAN state!! if i wanted to live in a theocracy i'd move to Iran. how exactly is the use of public buildings for religious purposes not an endorsement of state sponsored religion. It is anti-libertarian. It allows the majority to force the individual to stand in silence while they exercise whatever religious tradition is approved locally or state wide

  7. #7
    Defense Professional Dreadnought's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 May 05
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA.
    Posts
    14,728
    One of the biggest things IMO that killed him at the starting gate was his "pull down the blind and the world will go away" attitude. Anyone that is a realist knows that is pure fantasy especially for the U.S.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

  8. #8
    Field mechanik Senior Contributor omon's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 06
    Location
    bk
    Posts
    3,630
    Quote Originally Posted by ba1025 View Post
    Well, the fact you don't know should tell to look for less biased news sources but here you go from a quick search:

    "96 words

    24 May 1996
    CongressDaily/A.M.

    English

    Copyright (c) 1996 National Journal Inc.

    A 1992 political newsletter by former Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, included portrayals of African-Americans as inclined toward crime and lacking sense about political issues, the Houston Chronicle reported Thursday. Paul, a former Libertarian Party presidential candidate who defeated Democratic-turned-Republican Rep. Greg Laughlin in the March primary, in November will face Democratic attorney Charles (Lefty) Morris, whose campaign is distributing Paul's writings. Under the headline "Terrorist Update," Paul reported on gang crime in Los Angeles and wrote, "If you have ever been robbed by a black teenaged male, you know how unbelievably fleet-footed they can be." About blacks in Washington, D.C., Paul wrote, "I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal." Paul said Wednesday that his comments came in the context of "current events and statistical reports of the time," and that he opposes racism.

    In later newsletters, Paul wrote that lobbying groups who seek special favors are evil, and that "by far the most powerful lobby in Washington of the bad sort is the Israeli government."


    Associated Press

    329 words

    24 May 1996
    San Antonio Express-News

    English

    (Copyright 1996)

    A 1992 newsletter by Republican congressional candidate Ron Paul highlighted portrayals of blacks as criminally inclined and lacking sense about top political issues.

    Reporting on gang crime in Los Angeles, Paul commented: "If you have ever been robbed by a black teen-aged male, you know how unbelievably fleet-footed they can be."

    Paul, a Surfside obstetrician who won the GOP nomination in the 14th District runoff by defeating incumbent Rep. Greg Laughlin, said Wednesday he opposed racism.

    He said his written commentaries about blacks came in the context of "current events and statistical reports of the time."

    Paul's Democratic opponent, Charles "Lefty" Morris, said many of Paul's views were "out there on the fringe" and that this fall voters would judge his commentaries.

    Morris' campaign distributed selected writings by Paul this week.

    Paul, a former congressman and one-time Libertarian presidential nominee, said allegations about his writings amounted to name-calling by the Democrats.

    He said he'd produced the newsletter since 1985 and distributes it to an estimated 7,000 to 8,000 subscribers.

    Writing in his independent political newsletter in 1992, Paul commented about black men in the nation's capital.

    Citing statistics from a 1992 study produced by the National Center on Incarceration and Alternatives, a criminal justice think tank based in Virginia, Paul concluded in his column:

    "Given the inefficiencies of what DC laughingly calls the criminal justice system, I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal."

    "These aren't my figures," Paul said this week. "That is the assumption you can gather from" the report.

    He also wrote: "Opinion polls consistently show that only about 5 percent of blacks have sensible political opinions, i.e. support the free market, individual liberty and the end of welfare and affirmative action."

    Paul continued that politically sensible blacks are outnumbered "as decent people."


    Ron Paul '90s newsletters rant against blacks, gays - CNN.com


    "n this 25 seconds or so Paul managed to speak before a commercial break, he found a window to call Mike Huckabee a fascist. Paul, responding to a question about the not-so-subliminal cross in Huckabee’s new Christmas ad, said it reminded him of a Sinclair Lewis quote: “When fascism comes to this country, it will be wrapped in a flag carrying a cross"


    His vote for a federal ban on so-called partial birth abortions undermines his claims to support both individual liberty as well as his support for state’s rights.


    The War on Religion by Rep. Ron Paul
    I guess no one ever told him Washington didnt recieve communion at church because he didn't believe in Christ as his personal savior or that Jefferson edited out what he called dung from the bible( all the mysticism and miracles) and left the diamonds( social teachings)


    Congress.org - Key Votes
    His vote basically was to support statehouses/courts to display the ten commandments...constitutio???I guess he is a strict constructionist when he agrees with it?

    Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
    This a bill to amend the constitution to put school prayer back in schools...yeah we are a CHRISTIAN state!! if i wanted to live in a theocracy i'd move to Iran. how exactly is the use of public buildings for religious purposes not an endorsement of state sponsored religion. It is anti-libertarian. It allows the majority to force the individual to stand in silence while they exercise whatever religious tradition is approved locally or state wide

    that isn,t racist, that is true.

    wanna hear racist remarks, listen to kkk, dooes it sound like what r. poul was talking about?? not really.

    btw, this has 0 relavance to the question
    Last edited by omon; 04 Apr 08, at 18:52.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

  9. #9
    Herodotus
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    One of the biggest things IMO that killed him at the starting gate was his "pull down the blind and the world will go away" attitude. Anyone that is a realist knows that is pure fantasy especially for the U.S.
    I don't think he ever said that. He said he still wanted to engage in the world, just not conquer it. There is a lot of room between complete and total isolation and invading and occupying other countries; you should explore it

  10. #10
    Defense Professional Dreadnought's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 May 05
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA.
    Posts
    14,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
    I don't think he ever said that. He said he still wanted to engage in the world, just not conquer it. There is a lot of room between complete and total isolation and invading and occupying other countries; you should explore it

    If you saw his debate then you would understand my view of this. Do I agree with him, Yes (I would love for the US to take care of the US and forget all conflict). Do I think it is realistic? Certainly not and definatelty not my choice to run America.

    The guy is (As Glyn would put it) madder then a box of frogs.)
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

  11. #11
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Aug 03
    Location
    Long Island, New York, USA
    Posts
    2,726
    Ron Paul would have made a great president in the 1790s and early 1800s but this is 2008 and the US is now a world power (actually a superpower) and the world is a different place where you really cant afford to be isolationist.

  12. #12
    Banned Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    28 Jan 07
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbmek View Post
    Ron Paul is an unknown to me but I spotted this in another forum:

    He would make a terrible president - he's honest!!
    Ron Paul may be honest, but I can tell you that his supporters have no problem spinning his record, or even concealing facts that they find inconvenient. I took a hard look at his record before the election, and learned that he has made several anti-gun votes, and recently sponsored an anti-freedom bill. The bulk of his bills are actually just "feel good" legislation that will never pass, and only rarely even come to a vote. The Paulistas are all over the Internet parroting their mantra, but they remain willfully blind to his record, and generally refuse to engage in an honest exchange on the topic.

    It was entertaining to see legions of Paul supporters thronging the sidewalks and public gatherings for months, and they certainly brought a great spirit to the local bars, but I tired of their defacing community property with stickers and leaving a mess for us to clean up afterwards.

  13. #13
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,063
    Ron Paul is essentially analogous to a Christian or Muslim fundamentalist... swap religion for civil religion and the Bible/Koran for the Constitution. Essentially, all the nation's problems can be solved by returning to the "fundamentals" of the Constitution.

    I'm not sure Paul has an entirely accurate view of what the Constitution even is. For example, he's said the federal income tax is unconstitutional, blindly ignoring the fact that it's provided for by the 16th Amendment of the Constitution. NAFTA, GATT, membership in the UN are also unconstitutional according to him, yet these are provided for by Article II, Section 2 of the Constitution. I could go on and on...
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

  14. #14
    Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    Join Date
    23 Aug 05
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    14,267
    ironduke,

    for some people, those amendments were just ill-considered new-fangled additions to the original, anyway.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Ron Paul Supporters Continue To Dog Rudy Giuliani
    By troung in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05 Feb 08,, 21:52
  2. Ron Paul's Racist Newsletters
    By Ironduke in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16 Jan 08,, 05:45
  3. Ron Paul Shocker?
    By ExNavyAmerican in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07 Jan 08,, 17:04
  4. Key California Republican Group Endorses Ron Paul
    By LibertyBelle in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 26 Sep 07,, 02:17
  5. An interview with Paul Tibbits aged 87
    By 101st Airborne in forum The World Wars
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 20 Mar 07,, 00:05

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •