Soviet/Russian Nuclear Weapons- Article Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soviet/Russian Nuclear Weapons- Article Help

I'm working on this article and would like some help.

It aims to list every Soviet/Russian nuclear weapons platform, with an emphasis on their appearances in fiction.

1. Are there any good websites out there?
    2. Am I missing any of importance?
    3. Have I got stuff there that shouldn't be- i.e. not nuclear capable?

Not sure if she can carry them but this is a good sight for the Kirov class missle cruiser and a few others.

1144 (.2) Kirov class | Russian Arms, Military Technology, Analysis of Russia's Military Forces
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I'm think it can- it's "Shipwreck" capable. I added it to the list a while back.

Comment

During the Gulf War, Rageeh Omar, a BBC reporter, became known as the "Scud Stud".
        That honor goes to Arthur Kent.

S-75/SA-2 "Guideline" family: The SA-2f was nuclear capable, but the missile is far more famous in its conventional role. It performed the first successful SAM shoot down of an aircraft, shot down Gary Powers, almost started World War III via destroying another U-2 and killing the pilot during the Cuban Missiles Crisis,
        No, it didn't "almost started World War III."

Suitcase nukes- these are particular popular versions of Russian nukes, slightly helped by the fact they are real. However, they may no longer exist and even if there are some out of Russian hands, they're probably non-operable by now.
        "they're probably non-operable by now", because some jerkwad said so, or because there's a factual basis to make such a claim?

Kh-55 Granat/AS-15 "Kent"- the Russian's attempt to emulate the AGM-86 American cruise missile and the Tomahawk. Has a range of 3,000km in its the newest version, the Kh-55SM "Kent-B
        Clinton sent them a couple of Cray Super IIs, so in theory, they should be able to build a terrain guided anti-ballistic missile.

It was much larger than its American counterparts and had a much greater throw-weight, because the Soviets weren't very good in the miniaturization department and had bigger, more massive nukes.
        Neither were the Americans. It was a few years later when the US perfected linear implosion devices. It was used in an artillery fired atomic projectile for the US M109 (6"/155 mm), and many other warheads, especially variable yield warheads.

R-12 Dvina (OK, why were they using the same name for several missiles?)/SS-4 "Sandal". It had a range of 2,000 miles (2,800 km) and could carry a 1-megaton warhead, making it a major threat to Western Europe (and the US when it caused the Cuban Missiles Crisis).
        It was Kennedy who caused the Kennedy Political Crisis, which is erroneously referred to as the Cuban Missile Crisis.

OTR-21 Tochka/SS-21 "Scarab"- a mobile artillery platform with tactical nuke capability (If you call 100 kilotons "tactical")
        The US military considers 100 kt warheads to be "tactical."

"FROG" (Free Rocket Over Ground) family- a series of unguided rockets, you aim your launcher and fire. Exported to other countries and some have ended up in North Korea
        FROGs 3 to 5 had ranges of 35 km. The transporter was a modified PT-76. They were replaced by the FROG 7 in the mid-1970s to early 1980s. That was on a ZIL-135 chasis and the missile had a range of 15 to 70 km. The FROGs were comparable to the US Honest John. When I saw them, they were deployed in pairs just a couple of miles from the FEBA. I'm assuming they were organic to the division, since they're normally deployed as 4 separate batteries at the army and front levels.

Some of the ranges and yields for the weapons systems are way off. You'll just have to compare different sources of information. You'd stand a better chance and have an easier time if you could read Russian, as that would give you access to more sources.

Comment

OK, that's somewhat helpful.

I was pulling my ranges and yields from FAS and Global Security. I can transliterate Cyrillic and know a few words of Russian.

Point 1- "Scud Stud": I've seen Rageh Omaar get this title in the UK, but I'll add Kent to the discussion. Thanks.

Point 2- Suitcase nukes: CNS - "Suitcase Nukes": A Reassessment - September 23, 2002 - Research Story of the Week. I admit it's hard to tell, but if they were in terrorist hands, someone would have tried to use one by now.

Point 3- the "Kent": There's in theory and in practice.

Point 4- I'm aware of the Jupiter missiles in Turkey and Italy, but trigger was the "Sandal" deployment.

Point 5- Tactical nukes: I don't care what the US military says in this regards, I don't consider it something with five times the yield of the Hiroshima bomb to be tactical.

Point 6- The "FROG" family: Sources would be handy, but this is helpful.

Comment

Working...
          X