Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House of commons Defence Committee (UK) 'Defence Equipment 2008' paper

http://www.publications.parliament.u...ce/295/295.pdf

No idea if people are interested but there is a link to the House of commons Defence Committee 'Defence Equipment 2008' paper.

Not read it all but it seems to propose, you guessed it, cuts in projects to save money.

Originally posted by VarSity View Post
    http://www.publications.parliament.u...ce/295/295.pdf

No idea if people are interested but there is a link to the House of commons Defence Committee 'Defence Equipment 2008' paper.

Not read it all but it seems to propose, you guessed it, cuts in projects to save money.
    No suprise there then. How dare we spend money on Defence and our Forces when money is needed to upgrade the MPs 2nd and 3rd houses.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
      No suprise there then. How dare we spend money on Defence and our Forces when money is needed to upgrade the MPs 2nd and 3rd houses.
      And dont forget those second houses all need a new TV at £1000 a pop!

Comment

Yes, the services should be taught where their unappreciated place really is.
        Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Just skimming over this report I cant believe how much money is being wasted.

I honestly think 99% of the UK’s budget problems come from buying from UK firms all the time. Why do we pay more money of worse kit just because its being made in the UK! Its stupid.

Also scrap FRES it an outdated idea and is soaking up 2 much money!
          Last edited by VarSity; 27 Mar 08,, 13:23.

Comment

Just skimming over this report I cant believe how much money is being wasted.

I honestly think 99% of the UK’s budget problems come from buying from UK firms all the time. Why do we pay more money of worse kit just because its being made in the UK! Its stupid.

Also scrap FRES it an outdated idea and is soaking up 2 much money!
            Believe it, I see it first hand all the time......its amazing and criminal what they expect the Forces to do on operations and the continuing cuts and restrictions in training.
            sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Im more and more getting the view its not the case that more money is needed, its we need to spend what we have better.

FRES - Total waste of money for a crap idea. What's the point of an air lift armoured vehicle, which doesn't have the positives of either heavy armour or mobility, when we don't have the air lift to get it anywhere?

Future Lynx - Why dont we just buy off the shelf and get them now. what's all this crap about a 2012 service date! I could build them myself faster than that in my garden! And why are the Army even bothered about these? Their not fit for purpose, the Navy can push ahead with them but the Army should stick well clear!

Can both of them, save yourself a few hundred million and spend it where it is needed!

Comment

[QUOTE=VarSity;474560]Im more and more getting the view its not the case that more money is needed, its we need to spend what we have better.

Future Lynx

Now you know why Westland the helicopter manufacturers are known to the Armed Forces as WASTELANDS

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                  Now you know why Westland the helicopter manufacturers are known to the Armed Forces as WASTELANDS
                  I just don't get why? For some industry I can see the point of building your own, submarines being an example. They take a long old time to build and are bloody expensive per unit.

A helicopter however is a totally different ball game. We need more choppers asap, so why not spent the hundreds of millions on something from the shelf? There are plenty of proven and reliable options out there. I see no reason to waste both time and money to keep an native helicopter industry alive just for the sake of it.

Comment

Yes, the services should be taught where their unappreciated place really is.
                    Aesop:
                    "We hang the petty thieves but appoint the great ones to Public Office":)

Comment

I just don't get why? For some industry I can see the point of building your own, submarines being an example. They take a long old time to build and are bloody expensive per unit.

A helicopter however is a totally different ball game. We need more choppers asap, so why not spent the hundreds of millions on something from the shelf? There are plenty of proven and reliable options out there. I see no reason to waste both time and money to keep an native helicopter industry alive just for the sake of it.
                      Have you listened to the great wail of anguish from America because the USAF selected an Airbus for its KC-135 replacement? Every service ought to be allowed to get the types they need without confusing the issue with employment.

Comment

Aesop:
                        "We hang the petty thieves but appoint the great ones to Public Office":)

"Steal a little and they throw you in jail,
                        Steal a lot and they make you king.

Bob Dylan
                        Sweetheart like you

Comment

Have you listened to the great wail of anguish from America because the USAF selected an Airbus for its KC-135 replacement? Every service ought to be allowed to get the types they need without confusing the issue with employment.
                          But at least the Airbus was fit for purpose. Its Boeing's own fault if they cant offer a decent plane for the right money.

The 'Future Lynx' isn't fit for purpose, isn't ready when we need it (NOW!) and isn't the right price... so why are we bothering? Westland isn't even a British Company any more and maybe losing a contract will make them wake up and build something half decent!

Comment

But at least the Airbus was fit for purpose. Its Boeing's own fault if they cant offer a decent plane for the right money.

The 'Future Lynx' isn't fit for purpose, isn't ready when we need it (NOW!) and isn't the right price... so why are we bothering? Westland isn't even a British Company any more and maybe losing a contract will make them wake up and build something half decent!

i've read several times that the cost over-runs for the WAH-64D apache program were so enormous that the Army could have bought AH-64D's off the shelf from the US and given each Wastelands worker £1 mllion in redundancy for less than the total spent. and it would been in service 10 years earlier...

Nimrod MR4 is similar: £800 million so far for 14 airframes - none of whch looks like flying within the next decade while the existing fleet falls out of the sky and pisses fuel everywhere.
                            before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.................... then when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by dave angel View Post
                              i've read several times that the cost over-runs for the WAH-64D apache program were so enormous that the Army could have bought AH-64D's off the shelf from the US and given each Wastelands worker £1 mllion in redundancy for less than the total spent. and it would been in service 10 years earlier...

Nimrod MR4 is similar: £800 million so far for 14 airframes - none of whch looks like flying within the next decade while the existing fleet falls out of the sky and pisses fuel everywhere.
                              A shrewd assessment my good fellow! Come over to the dark side and there could be an OBE in it for you.;)

Comment

Working...
                              X