• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sukhoi Su-25 shot down?

VLADIVOSTOK. March 26 (Interfax-AVN) - A Sukhoi Su-25 attack plane,
    which crashed outside Vladivostok last week, was shot down by a missile
    accidentally fired by a wingman, a source from the commission
    investigating the incident told Interfax on Wednesday.
    "The theory that the crash was caused by a mechanical fault has not
    been confirmed. It has been discovered that the Su-25 attack plane was
    shot down by a missile fired by a wingman," he said.
    It was reported earlier that the Su-25 plane exploded in flight,
    and its pilot failed to eject and was killed.
    The incident took place 143 km away from Vladivostok in the
    Chernigovka garrison. An oversight commission was appointed to
    investigate the causes of the crash, and Air Force Commander Col. Gen.
    Alexander Zelin issued an order restricting all Su-25 flights until the
    investigation is over.

--------------------------
    Training accedent?

Does SU-25 normally carry air-to-air missiles?

Comment

it doesn,t have to, unguided rockets, can score a lucky, in this case unlucky hit, inside formation, he pbly fired them by accedent, and hit a plane right in front. just my guess.
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Sergei View Post
        Does SU-25 normally carry air-to-air missiles?
        The R-73/AA-11 "Archer", IIRC.

Almost certainly an accident.

Sad nonetheless.

Comment

AA-8s are more likely than Archers. Pretty much everything can carry the AA-8, only a handful can carry AA-11s.

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
            it doesn,t have to, unguided rockets, can score a lucky, in this case unlucky hit, inside formation, he pbly fired them by accedent, and hit a plane right in front. just my guess.
            How do you arm..lock-on then fire by accident? I hope it's not a "just press and fire" system. If so, I'm surprised there are not more accidents like this.

Comment

Same thing happened between two Pakistani F-16's in the 80's. AIM-9 was involved in that incident

Comment

Back in the 50s a Super Sabre accidently shot down a B-52 during an exercise, killed some of the aircrew, apparently it was due to a drop of moisture shorting out a circuit and triggering a sidewinder to fire itself. Again, sad.

Comment

Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}- View Post
                  Back in the 50s a Super Sabre accidently shot down a B-52 during an exercise, killed some of the aircrew, apparently it was due to a drop of moisture shorting out a circuit and triggering a sidewinder to fire itself. Again, sad.
                  This was on 7 April 1961. The F-100 belonged to the New Mexico ANG. Three B-52 crew members were killed in the accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Shipwreck View Post
                    This was on 7 April 1961. The F-100 belonged to the New Mexico ANG. Three B-52 crew members were killed in the accident.
                    The Hun driver couldn't have been the same person after a dreadful event like that.
                    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

...And an RAF F-4 Phantom shot down an RAF Jaguar with a `winder in the `80 s I think. Not sure of when exactly or the mishap details. I do know it happened over the old West Germany.
                      "Liberty is a thing beyond all price.

Comment

Didnt a Japanese pilot shoot down his wingman with a Sidewinder also? I remember reading (here, I think) about that being the only F-15 shot down by an A2A missile.

Comment

tragic

I would hate to be the wingman who made the mistake, this is something he would never be able to forget and put behind him.

Comment

How sad to accidently kill someone especially if it was a close friend.... poor bugger
                            Originally posted by GVChamp
                            College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Even though its a completly different thing it reminded me of the forrestal accident and that 1 mistake that led to the death of many fellow men , these kind of things trully are sad , RIP to the pilot.

Comment

Working...
                              X