Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Sino Indian War

Hi everyone,

Im new to the forums and was interested in the Sino Indian War of 1962. I am not trying to start any arguements, but was wandering who was to blame for the Sino-Indian War.

I'm trying to analyse this so could you please help me out.

Thanks, much appreciated

Not going to get a good answer. Both sides blame each other but looking at it from a detached PoV, it was bound to happen as two Asian Giants just woke up to newly acquired self-confidence and power.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      Not going to get a good answer. Both sides blame each other but looking at it from a detached PoV, it was bound to happen as two Asian Giants just woke up to newly acquired self-confidence and power.
      I read "India's China war" by Neville Maxwell. It actually portraits Zhou Enlai and China in a positive way, while Nehru quite negative. If this book is to be believed, Nehru is the one to blame for the war. And the book is based on what Maxwell read from India's classified documents.

What's your opinion on this book?

Comment

The impression I had was that Nehru decided to insist on the McMahon Line and ordered indian army to occupy posts well forward of where they were before.
        As indian army had been neglected since independence, this was not a wise move. Bejing moved in and defeated us with ease.
        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

No one has won the war,but《Hatred Remains》?
          PS:Tibet is a part of PRC,of course Taiwan province.
          I love my motherland because i live here,not you.

Comment

Originally posted by cdude View Post
            I read "India's China war" by Neville Maxwell. It actually portraits Zhou Enlai and China in a positive way, while Nehru quite negative. If this book is to be believed, Nehru is the one to blame for the war. And the book is based on what Maxwell read from India's classified documents.

What's your opinion on this book?
            India's then-PM Nehru takes a considerable part of the blame for India's loss in the war; that fact cannot automatically be extrapolated to say he alone was to blame for the war. Neville Maxwell made that mistake in his basic thesis, and then cherry-picked facts to support his argument as poor scholars often do.

Obviously India's internal critique would definitely be harsh on its leadership in a lost war: A strong corrective action was necessary to change the course of the nation. Both the authors of the classifed Henderson-Brooks and Bhagat Report were highly independent and no-nonsense professional military officers (one I believe was a Victoria Cross winner), so they delivered the lessons that was necessary for India to take from the war.

The original report would have been written with overwhelming emphasis on the "knowables", the "known unknowns" and the "controlled components": I.E. domestic police-making and leadership issues. These are the elements that India could have definitely influenced before the war, and prescriptively should influence in the future. The pill wouldn't be pretty nor sweet, but necessary for India then.

The portrayal of Zhou Enlai and China in Maxwell's books isn't very likely to come from the official report - it quite likely comes from other sources, some choosen at Maxwell's personal prejudice. To pass off the whole book as derived completely from Indian classified sources is a clever advertising gimmick.

Comment

Totally India's fault.

If a country and a leadership cannot defend the territorial integrity against another opponent of not too great a gap in capability then it is totally to blame. China did what was in its strategic interests. The fact there wasnt any try by India post 62 to reclaim the lost lands after building up strength shows that the defeatist attitude still remains.

People forget easily that it wasnt just a war and a status-quo to the orginial situation after that. There was a huge territory of 38,000(around size of switzerland) which was lost in the war. Whats the action to get it back? Ok excuses can always come to aid if one chooses to find it.
              God is a cruise missile.

Comment

I would dispute that not too great a gap bit.
                Remember nearly a decade before our war they faced down the US in Korea.
                An army that has fought against the greatest power on earth would have learned many lessons and be much more effective compared to the neglected and underfunded IA.
                For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by FullTank View Post
                  Totally India's fault.

If a country and a leadership cannot defend the territorial integrity against another opponent of not too great a gap in capability then it is totally to blame. China did what was in its strategic interests.

The question was "who was to blame for the war", not its result.

The cause was China's claim on Tibet, it's desire to build communication links with Sinkiang using Tibet, and the consequent forward policy. Nehru made the mistake of first allowing China to occupy Tibet without even a diplomatic protest!

He compounded this mistake by then giving refuge to the Dalai Lama and thousands of Tibetans.....when it was too late to organize a resistance within Tibet. He belatedly allowed CIA listening posts in the Himalayas but at the same time hesitated in establishing a closer defence relationship with the US.

To put India on the back foot China began claiming large swathes of Indian territory on the grounds of their religious affiliation with Tibetan Buddhism. Nehru sent an unprepared army to start building the non-existent defence infrastructure in the Himalayas, to which China responded with an invasion.

The fact there wasn't any try by India post 62 to reclaim the lost lands after building up strength shows that the defeatist attitude still remains.
                  Post '62 the Pakistanis invaded India in the hope that the Indians, demoralized by their loss to China, would crumble in the face of their spanking new Patton and Sherman tanks and their Sabre and Starfighter aircraft. The Pakistani invasion plans failed and in that year (1965) began the Indian recovery.

But by that time China had gone nuclear.

Still, India defeated and dismembered Pakistan in 1971, despite the latter having US and Chinese support. President Nixon of the US went so far as to consider using Chinese pressure on the Indo-China border to deter the advance of the Indian forces.....which pressure India staved off by making its new alliance with the Soviet Union.

Whats the action to get it back?
                  China still claims the Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh as its territory, and regards the people there as Chinese citizens.....so why has it taken no action to take it from India?

The reality is that there is a stalemate; neither side can dislodge the other from the current positions they hold in the Himalayas.

China wants to maintain its position in Tibet, and to that end it keeps India on the defensive by claiming their border as disputed, and by making military alliances with India's neighbors.
                  sigpic

Comment

it seems that new war will break out.
                    Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                    The impression I had was that Nehru decided to insist on the McMahon Line and ordered indian army to occupy posts well forward of where they were before.
                    As indian army had been neglected since independence, this was not a wise move. Bejing moved in and defeated us with ease.

Comment

Working...
                    X