Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, this is one idea for the future...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, this is one idea for the future...

So, Professor Ross Babbage has been sharing some of his slightly optimistic projections of Australia's potential hard power in the future:

ADF must equip for Asia threat: paper | The Australian

That's right, 400 warplanes and 30 submarines. Keep in mind the RAN Submarine Force Element is struggling with personnel shortages to the point that they can only field 3 of the current 6 Collins boats at one time. The RAAF is also looking likely to be forced to cut the order for 100 JSFs down to 75, plus the 24 Super Hornets now confirmed to be on order. So this fellow gets paid by the government to come up with wild fantasies about the ADF quadrupling its Air Strike component and quintupling its Submarine fleet to take on China, effectively and ally, over a non-existant competing interest?

To be honest most of this talk of Australia becoming as Israel-like state under seige by rising Asiatic powers strikes me as nothing more than the fantasy of paranoid racists who can't get behind the fact that Australia is probably going to be an ally rather than adversary to Far Eastern bloc powers in the future. Anyway I know Defence aquisitions is supposed to be a monstrous mass of red-tape, but I find it hard to believe that simple reforms would ever allow us to put together a war-machine of such power.
Working...
X