Sig Sauer P250 report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sig Sauer P250 report

In case anyone is interested in the durability of the Sig P250 in 9mm.

Over the past two weeks, all 3 of our Sig P250s went down. In all 3 guns, the short arm of the trigger bar spring broke where it makes a sharp bend. The guns have been in service since mid December.

Sig guessed that our guns might have the highest round counts of any P250s out there (somewhere between 20,000 and 40,000 rounds each, depending on the specific gun), and have asked for their return.

I spoke to a Sig engineering guy who told me that they are aware that this spring is a weak point, and that they have tried two different solutions: a beefier spring, and a different trigger bar; neither has been adopted as yet.

[QUOTE=GraniteForge;472231]In case anyone is interested in the durability of the Sig P250 in 9mm.

Sig guessed that our guns might have the highest round counts of any P250s out there (somewhere between 20,000 and 40,000 rounds each, depending on the specific gun), and have asked for their return.

Those pieces have been very well worked! Most pistols won't see that many rounds in a life-time.
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

I'm definitely interested in your impression of the P250, especially the 9mm version.

How does it handle?

How does it compare to other Sig 9mm?

Is it better than the Sig Pro 9mm?
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        I'm definitely interested in your impression of the P250, especially the 9mm version.

How does it handle?

How does it compare to other Sig 9mm?

Is it better than the Sig Pro 9mm?
        It is chunkier than other 9mm Sig Pros, or any other typical 9mm. I assume this is because it has to be wider in order to accomodate the other calibers.

It does look and feel a bit "cheap" at first, compared to other Sigs, although this impression starts to fade after you handle and shoot it a bit, and learn to appreciate the innovative modular design. The DAO action is smooth, but I don't like the long trigger reset.

The way the magazine fits into the frame causes my biggest annoyance: The magazine does not flush fit to the bottom of the mag well, but rather also comes up in front and makes up the bottom of the front of the grip. The problem is that there is an appreciable gap at the mating point. Every time the gun fires, it pinches my little finger in the gap. People with larger hands don't have this problem, but I was forced to shoot it with just two fingers on the grip, like a J-frame with boot grips. I gave up on the P250 after this, and will not shoot it again unless they fix this finger-pinch problem.

I think its a neat idea that still needs a bit of engineering. Its too bad they didn't try harder to market the SP2022. I thought that design had some promise. My working gun is a P229/.357, and I just don't see that being swapped out for a P250 any time soon.

Comment

My Glock has over 20,000 through her close to 30,000. and still going well.

Damn, them P250's looked like they were the future. I'd really like to hear what the People at Sig do to resolve the problem.

Tony
          Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

Originally posted by GraniteForge View Post
            It is chunkier than other 9mm Sig Pros, or any other typical 9mm. I assume this is because it has to be wider in order to accomodate the other calibers.

It does look and feel a bit "cheap" at first, compared to other Sigs, although this impression starts to fade after you handle and shoot it a bit, and learn to appreciate the innovative modular design. The DAO action is smooth, but I don't like the long trigger reset.
            I hate DAO . I thought there might be a traditional DA/SA group for it.

The way the magazine fits into the frame causes my biggest annoyance: The magazine does not flush fit to the bottom of the mag well, but rather also comes up in front and makes up the bottom of the front of the grip. The problem is that there is an appreciable gap at the mating point. Every time the gun fires, it pinches my little finger in the gap. People with larger hands don't have this problem, but I was forced to shoot it with just two fingers on the grip, like a J-frame with boot grips. I gave up on the P250 after this, and will not shoot it again unless they fix this finger-pinch problem.
            My SP2009 has this type of fitting. It didn't pinch me, but I just didn't like how the mag hangs outside the grip and is a bit loose. I guess it's loose so it drops free after you press the mag release.

I think its a neat idea that still needs a bit of engineering. Its too bad they didn't try harder to market the SP2022. I thought that design had some promise. My working gun is a P229/.357, and I just don't see that being swapped out for a P250 any time soon.
            You like the SP2022? My SP2009 is the predecessor to the SP2022. Basically the same gun except mine has the Sig proprietary rail and the SP2022 has the standard Picatinny rail.

Sig website had a blow out sale of SP2009 mags about a month ago for $13 each. If you buy 3 or more, $10 each. If you buy more than $100 worth of stuff, you get free shipping. Guess who missed out on this sale?

The mags are $43 each now.

Comment

Originally posted by toemag View Post
              My Glock has over 20,000 through her close to 30,000. and still going well.

Damn, them P250's looked like they were the future. I'd really like to hear what the People at Sig do to resolve the problem.

Tony
              I mean if it worked all fine, it's still way more expensive than a Glock too, that's what bothers me at least.
              In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
              The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

The magazines for my Glock are cheap too ;) :P

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by toemag View Post
                  The magazines for my Glock are cheap too ;) :P

Tony
                  shush, you...

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                    shush, you...
                    Ha! And he isn't talking about your itti bitty ten-rounders, either.

;)
                    The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

The reasons why I went for a Glock 17 over a Sig P226 back in the early 90's was simply that the Glock and its accessory's were priced right, and even with the €uro's introduction that hasn't changed.

Sig's are over priced & rated. The Glock 17 has only 33 parts in it that can break, to date I have only had a magazine spring break, which caused the one and only stoppage that I have had with it.

Tony

Comment

I believe you. One of these days I'll get a Glock in 9mm just to have. The one time I fired a Glock it made a pretty good impression on me. It was very easy to handle, easy to aim, and very accurate. That was my friend's factory refurbished Glock 17.

Comment

My only gripe with the Glock is no manual safety, which doesn't inherrently make it a bad gun, but it makes me nervous for concealed carry. A Glock 19 with an external safety would be my choice gun to carry, since I'm already used to shooting Glocks. I think the factory is thinking of giving buyers the option soon. I know that having the upgrade probably would cost a pretty penny, defeating the price point of the Glock series. I really want to try out those Springfield XDs and see how they compete. Anyone have any experience with those?

Comment

Stan The Glock has three safety's, not to forget the keeping your finger off of the trigger until you fire it.

BTW., as a Soldier, a handgun is a secondary weapon in my opinion, the rifle is and always will be my primary, and a s such its intended use is limited to self defence or fighting my way to my rifle, or till I have cleared the stoppage.

Back on topic, I'll bet that GraniteForge has to use his as Primary & secondary, and as such can't afford the slightest failure at any time.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Stan187 View Post
                              I really want to try out those Springfield XDs and see how they compete. Anyone have any experience with those?
                              My friend just bought an XD 45. He didn't care for it. He said he didn't like the trigger and sent it back to Springfield to work on it. After all's said and done, he spent around $900 for that gun. He said he should have just bought a Sig and be done with it. He tried a Sig at a local range and said it has the best trigger of all the pistols he has ever shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X