Sig Sauer P250 report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
    My friend just bought an XD 45. He didn't care for it. He said he didn't like the trigger and sent it back to Springfield to work on it. After all's said and done, he spent around $900 for that gun. He said he should have just bought a Sig and be done with it. He tried a Sig at a local range and said it has the best trigger of all the pistols he has ever shot.
    I guess its a preference thing. Some people always wanna go out of their way and tell how mushy the Glock trigger is, and frankly, I know its not an M1911, but its a perfectly fine piece that is not all too difficult to master. I guess I really just need to try it out for myself.
    In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
    The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

Originally posted by toemag View Post
      Stan The Glock has three safety's, not to forget the keeping your finger off of the trigger until you fire it.
      Indeed, but I wouldn't keep such a gun concealed cocked, and I'd prefer to do so. Not to mention that because of the same issue, it needs a beefier holster, so as to prevent anything from snagging that trigger, however unlikely it may be.
      The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

lol, glock is ALWAYS half cocked, untill you pull the triger.
        you carry it half cocked, and by pressing the trigger you full cocke it than fire.
        glock have trigger safety, and firing pin safety.

best safety of any gun is between your ears, if you don,t have that, that you shouldn,t be handling any guns. period.
        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

I hate DAO . I thought there might be a traditional DA/SA group for it.
          I'd actually take a well worked DAO revolver TRIGGER over a DA/SA auto trigger.
          Of course, I think a SA auto is the best way to go, but only because I've carried/used it in GP-35 form & M1911A1 form on a daily basis for ~20 years & am therefore very comfortable with it.

Having said that, I agree that the SIG-Sauer P250 is a great concept, just not well executed. I like their P210-2 (I still have one, but don't really carry/use it) & their older P230, but the rest of their stuff especially the Sauer collabs leave me cold.

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
            you carry it half cocked, and by pressing the trigger you full cocke it than fire.Thats why Glock triggers need some getting used to, and a lot of range time ti ease everything in, it only comes together after the first 1k or so of ammo, you could google the 50ct trigger job for the glock, and follow the instructions.

best safety of any gun is between your ears, if you don,t have that, that you shouldn,t be handling any guns. period.
            The other trick to shooting the Glock is to observe the marksmanship principle, ie., holding the trigger to the rear after each shot, reacquire the target, picture slowly release the trigger, you will feel the and hear the trigger reassert itself, stop right there, check target picture do your breath control and start your trigger squeeze. try it, The first shot is always going to be a warning shot due to the 1,2cm of trigger travel until the shot breaks. This even works for my AR's and other auto loaders.

As to the double action, practice makes problems go away, I mostly shoot my Colts revolvers double action.

Tony
            Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

Originally posted by toemag View Post
              The other trick to shooting the Glock is to observe the marksmanship principle, ie., holding the trigger to the rear after each shot, reacquire the target, picture slowly release the trigger, you will feel the and hear the trigger reassert itself, stop right there, check target picture do your breath control and start your trigger squeeze. try it, The first shot is always going to be a warning shot due to the 1,2cm of trigger travel until the shot breaks. This even works for my AR's and other auto loaders.

As to the double action, practice makes problems go away, I mostly shoot my Colts revolvers double action.

Tony
              Good advice, Tony. I found that using the pad of the forefinger was helpful for me, but noticed that most people used the first joint or between the first and second joint.
              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by ofelas View Post
                I'd actually take a well worked DAO revolver TRIGGER over a DA/SA auto trigger.
                Of course, I think a SA auto is the best way to go, but only because I've carried/used it in GP-35 form & M1911A1 form on a daily basis for ~20 years & am therefore very comfortable with it.

Having said that, I agree that the SIG-Sauer P250 is a great concept, just not well executed. I like their P210-2 (I still have one, but don't really carry/use it) & their older P230, but the rest of their stuff especially the Sauer collabs leave me cold.
                You have a P210?

Guess who just bought a used Sig P220?
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

You have a P210?

And guess who just bought a new Sig P220 Carry yesterday?Great minds think alike .
                  "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus View Post
                    And guess who just bought a new Sig P220 Carry yesterday?Great minds think alike .
                    Oooh nice.

I just had to buy this one (on consignment) because it was manufactured in W. Germany and it felt like a cold war relic.

It appears to be in great condition. Doesn't seem to be holstered a lot. The ejector port shows some wear on the blueing but I see that on my rarely fired P226. I took it apart and all the internals showed very little wear. The factory mag shows some wear though.
                    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

You have a P210?

Nice choice in the SIG P220! Back when I briefly owned a compact .45ACP I bought a Star but that SIG P220 Carry is a nice DA/SA auto as well!

I bought the SIG P-210 ~1990 for $400 from a store going out of business...yeah, $400...I was looking for an FN GP Comp but came across the P-210...I remember haggling with the sales guy as it wasn't the wood grip model, so he threw in a set of slightly nicked 210-1 grips that someone had ordered & never paid for...

I forgot to include the P210 in the other thread "what guns do you own" as it's never been fired even once...that's why I got rid of my Gold Cup National Match in .38 Super as well, and decided to pass on a Springfield National Match complete with a Drake slide & all.
                      Last edited by ofelas; 23 Mar 08,, 21:48.

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
                        you carry it half cocked, and by pressing the trigger you full cocke it than fire.

I know how the Glock works, and I'm sure you understood exactly what I meant when I said cocked and locked, don't patronize me.

Hmm... apparently the manufacturers of many guns think that an external safety is a useful addition. John Browning tended to like them, I'm pretty sure he knew a thing or two about guns, wouldn't you say?

Your preference is not God's word. Just because some people prefer to have an external safety does not mean they should not be handling any guns, that means they have a different preference, nothing more or nothing less. I hate it when the anti-safety crowd picks up this holier than thou attitude. Glock is about to introduce the option to get your gun with or without an external safety. Apparently, they in Austria the same thing that we've known in the United States for a whole, that having choices is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus View Post
                          I'll bet you all got them in .45ACP instead of 9mm too didn't ya, darn, or did ya get the 9mm conversion kits too????

As to the Sig P210, I once had a customer come in and order 3 of them in 9mm, 3 conversion kits in 32ACP and three conversion kits in .22.

I ordered all of this stuff for the guy, took a week or so till we got everything in, then I gave him a call to say that his stuff was in. A couple of days later in he comes with a buddy, and I get the order out for them to check. And them two knew how to check a gun out.

They found every blemish and tool mark left on each of the three pistols, and the conversion kits, then decided that none of them were any good, asked me to order three new ones and three conversion kits as per their original order. I called the boss over and explained the situation, he just laughed and agreed to do as asked.

We returned 2 of the sets, and kept the third one for special customers, 2 weeks later the guys came back to ask about their order so the boss explained that the one's that we'd had were the only ones that were to be had at that time in Germany, and they'd been sold faster than we could send them on to the store's that had customers for them, and he'd call as soon as Sig sent him the replacement order, which was true of the two sets that we had re released onto the market. We then spent the next few month's explaining that the Sig P210 was hard to come by, especially the type as exclusive as they were looking for. Then the boss, said watch and learn, he called the customer, and said that a set had just arrived and he could come and have a look at it as it was on back order for another customer. The customer must have grown wing's to get there so fast, My boss was the boss because he'd checked the customers paperwork and noticed that the customer only had until a certain date to purchase, then he would have to re-apply for permission to buy. Guess who was all hot headed when the boss explained to him that the third set that we'd originally kept was on order for another customer.....He was pretty mad and asked why we'd called him up, the boss had a perved smile on his face when he said I just wanted to make sure that the quality and standard of this P210 was of the standard that you wanted of yours. I stood back and watched this develop and learned a whole lot. The boss eventually called a mate and had a chat with him about hunting or the weather came back into the store and sold the set to the customer for the current price as the price had risen in the meantime.

Tony
                          Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

[QUOTE=glyn;472237]
                            Originally posted by GraniteForge View Post
                            In case anyone is interested in the durability of the Sig P250 in 9mm.

Sig guessed that our guns might have the highest round counts of any P250s out there (somewhere between 20,000 and 40,000 rounds each, depending on the specific gun), and have asked for their return.

Those pieces have been very well worked! Most pistols won't see that many rounds in a life-time.
                            Most of our rental guns get a pretty good workout. The P250s have been very popular, but no more so than the Springfield XDs or the 9mm/.40 cal Glocks. If a gun has a weak point, it will probably show up at our shop; we typically put over 200 shooters on the line on a busy day, like most Saturdays and Sundays.

We declined to send back all 3 of the affected pistols, offering instead to send one, and be sent replacement springs for the other two. So, we'll see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan187 View Post
                              My only gripe with the Glock is no manual safety, which doesn't inherrently make it a bad gun, but it makes me nervous for concealed carry. A Glock 19 with an external safety would be my choice gun to carry, since I'm already used to shooting Glocks. I think the factory is thinking of giving buyers the option soon. I know that having the upgrade probably would cost a pretty penny, defeating the price point of the Glock series. I really want to try out those Springfield XDs and see how they compete. Anyone have any experience with those?
                              There has long been an aftermarket conversion slide safety for Glocks. I have handled (but never shot) a couple of them, and see examples rarely at auction. The safeties on the ones I handled were loose and sloppy feeling, without a really positive engagement, but I don't know if they were professional or amateur conversions, or if they were just worn from a lot of use.

Glock reps unofficially say that they have made some such conversions at the factory, but I don't know if it was for a contract (like the old "hush hush" external-safety P226s that Sig produced), or if it was just an engineering development project.

As to the XDs, I have shot many thousands of rounds through them, in different calibers and sizes, and they also are pretty popular rentals. Not quite as durable as a Glock, but nothing is. The point of failure on the XDs has been both critical and surprising: the lug can crack off of the bottom of the barrel, locking the gun up completely. I have seen this happen twice on .45s and once on .40s. BTW, this is the same problem that I have seen on some HK .45s, including Mk 23s that never got used much, so its not just a Springfield thing. I suspect that the guns were just run too dry, and it would never happen to you if you performed normal maintenance (our guns often don't receive any maintenance at all until a problem develops - they are just shot and shot and shot endlessly).

Comment

Originally posted by GraniteForge View Post
                                There has long been an aftermarket conversion slide safety for Glocks. I have handled (but never shot) a couple of them, and see examples rarely at auction. The safeties on the ones I handled were loose and sloppy feeling, without a really positive engagement, but I don't know if they were professional or amateur conversions, or if they were just worn from a lot of use.

Glock reps unofficially say that they have made some such conversions at the factory, but I don't know if it was for a contract (like the old "hush hush" external-safety P226s that Sig produced), or if it was just an engineering development project.
                                I thought it was that they were trying to go for a military contract that required an external safety.

Comment

Working...
                                X