Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

United States of Europe? Next Superpower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"one hopes that the kind of liberal democracies prevailent in europe"

Besides switzerland, i dare you to name one Democracy in Europe.

You can't....there aren't any.
    Last edited by Bill; 03 Feb 05,, 22:58.

Comment

Bedides switzerland, i dare you to name one Democracy in Europe.
      How do you figure? Unless you are getting technical and mean Athenian democracy, in which case Switzerland is closer, but still not quite one.
      Last edited by ZFBoxcar; 03 Feb 05,, 22:16.

Comment

wikipedia lists the following "constitutional democracies commonly called republics"
        Europe
        Albania
        Armenia (authoritarian tendencies)
        Austria
        Bosnia and Herzegovina
        Bulgaria
        Croatia
        Cyprus
        Czech Republic
        Estonia
        Finland
        France
        Georgia
        Germany
        Greece
        Hungary
        Iceland
        Republic of Ireland
        Italy (slight authoritarian tendencies)
        Latvia
        Lithuania
        Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
        Malta
        Moldova
        Poland
        Portugal
        Romania
        Russia (authoritarian tendencies)
        San Marino
        Serbia and Montenegro
        Slovakia
        Slovenia
        Switzerland
        Ukraine

and "democratic constitutional monarchies"

Europe
        Andorra (coprincipality)
        Belgium (kingdom)
        Denmark (kingdom)
        Liechtenstein (principality)
        Luxembourg (grand duchy)
        Monaco (principality; authoritarian tendencies)
        Netherlands (kingdom)
        Norway (kingdom)
        Spain (kingdom)
        Sweden (kingdom)
        United Kingdom (kingdom)
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nment#Europe_2
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

None of those are democrazys either.

But i did find a few quite amusing, particularly this one:

"Russia (authoritarian tendencies)"

If you think Russia is a democracy i have some nice fertile land in Chernobyl you might be interested in buying... :)

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
            None of those are democrazys either.

But i did find a few quite amusing, particularly this one:

"Russia (authoritarian tendencies)"

If you think Russia is a democracy i have some nice fertile land in Chernobyl you might be interested in buying... :)

Whaaat??

The last time I checked UK was still a democracy.

And weren't the elections held in Spain only last year. SO i guess that's a democracy too.

And Russia too has a democratically elected President. So whats the doubt in calling Russia a democracy??

Did the world order change overnight???

Or has the definition of democracy??
            Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
              I disagree with that. UNPROFOR did extremely good work and gave more than it took.
              Fair enough. I'm going mostly by their recent flight from Iraq. I should have used "if" instead of "when". ;)

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEMUN
                quite simply, europe currently faces no conventional military threat that it needs to get excited about, if theres no threat, why build a defence?

Unless they start shooting each other again...Or have they outgrown that???
                I myself am not talking about Europe's defense. I am talking about Europe's ability to project useful power as part of a serious backup to its policies.

-dale

Comment

"Whaaat??

The last time I checked UK was still a democracy.

And weren't the elections held in Spain only last year. SO i guess that's a democracy too.

And Russia too has a democratically elected President. So whats the doubt in calling Russia a democracy??

Did the world order change overnight???

Or has the definition of democracy??"

Apparently you are unfamiliar with the definition of democracy.

BTW, there are no democracies in N.America either...

Real democracies are potentially very dangerous if you're in the minority.
                  Last edited by Bill; 03 Feb 05,, 23:33.

Comment

Apparently you are unfamiliar with the definition of democracy.

BTW, there are no democracies in N.America either...

Real democracies are potentially very dangerous if you're in the minority.

OKAY, just like Pakistan is a democracy and Libya too, and just the way Iraq was too.

Hmm.

I dont think India's a democracy. Neither is the US. Eh?!
                    Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage.

Comment

The US is not a democracy.

The idea was considered, and then rejected out of hand by The Founding Fathers.

Comment

Now, for the sake of this discussion, define democracy....

Comment

Try www.dictionary.com ;)

But i'll be kind and help ya out a bit: Democracy is direct representation by the people.

Besides the Swiss, no one practices that form of gov't in Europe, or anywhere, for that matter....and not even the Swiss are 'true' to the Athenian model.

The US is a representitive republic, ie we are represented by elected officials upon whom we select and vote into office.

One of Benjamin Franklin's more famous quotes involves the potential for disaster wrt democracy:

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for breakfast".

Comment

Try www.dictionary.com ;)

But i'll be kind and help ya out a bit: Democracy is direct representation by the people.

Besides the Swiss, no one practices that form of gov't in Europe, or anywhere, for that matter....and not even the Swiss are 'true' to the Athenian model.

The US is a representitive republic, ie we are represented by elected officials upon whom we select and vote into office.

One of Benjamin Franklin's more famous quotes involves the potential for disaster wrt democracy:

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for breakfast".
                            The kind of democractic model you're talking about is not feasable in the modern world. Or is it???
                            The lack of sleep is causing the error of judgement!!

Comment

Okay, so you were being technical Sniper. I think you are being a bit of a sh!t-disturber but, w/e lol. You know what he meant by liberal democracy. Obviously he meant representative. Its just annoying to have to throw in the extra word every time the topic is mentioned.
                              Last edited by ZFBoxcar; 04 Feb 05,, 00:09.

Comment

I can relate, since i feel that the word 'democracy' is the most mis-used and understood word in the free world today, lol.

As this thread just demonstrated, a hell of a lot of people don't even know what a 'real' democracy is. ;)

The US is Republic my friends.

Comment

Working...
                                X